Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847040 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #725 on: 18 October, 2015, 03:34:03 pm »
He's behind you!
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #726 on: 18 October, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »
This isn't argument, its simply contradiction.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #727 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »
No it isn't!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #728 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »
O yes it is!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #729 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »
People on forums don't like it (get annoyed, angry, sarcastic) when others disagree with them.

Now look what you've started...

« Reply #730 on: 18 October, 2015, 07:11:44 pm »
Back on topic, you (not me, you blokes) can make your beards grow faster by thinking about sex more.

This is because thinking about sex raises your testosterone levels, apparently.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #731 on: 18 October, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »
This is because thinking about sex raises your testosterone levels, apparently.

I always thought it was the other way round...

« Reply #732 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:04:57 am »
I've just found this thread so I'll play a little catchup.

Friday: That if you buy a used bike you should check everything thoroughly after you've got it home. Even if everything you do check is ok, there will be a problem with anything you don't check.

I didn't check the back tyre thoroughly enough on my new-to-me MTB because I was going to strip and re-grease the hub, and tighten a few spokes, after getting a freewheel remover and nipple wrench. Turns out the side-walls were too far gone (great tread though). Bought a few parts including a puncture repair kit (knowing that if I already had one the rubber solution would have dried up while languishing in a garden shed for years). Walked home. :(

There was a seriously muddy stretch on the shortest route home. Learned that flat tyres fill up with mud and water. Cleaning that out can wash/brush away evidence of what caused the puncture making it difficult to find the damage to the tyre. :facepalm:

Saturday: Relearned how to fix a punctured inner tube. Also learned that rubber solution doesn't always dry up while languishing in a garden shed for years. Now have (hopefully) far too many patches. :-\

Sunday: Learned about a bike parts/tools supplier who seems to have everything at a reasonable price. Cheaper than Hal****'s, and certainly cheaper than the dealers around me who seem to think that cycling is a rich man's game and no-one could possibly be capable of maintaining their own bike (or want to, for that matter). Parts and tools ordered. :thumbsup:
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #733 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:23:32 am »
Good things to learn, Dangerous Disastrous Cyclist!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #734 on: 19 October, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »
Kate Winslet (my favourite actress) has said she doesn't use social meeja. Not because of any moral high ground you understand but simply because "when it comes to using gadgets [she] breaks things without even looking at them".  (She will play Joanna Hoffman, Apple's former international head of marketing, in the forthcoming film about Steve Jobs)
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #735 on: 19 October, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
Good things to learn, Dangerous Disastrous Cyclist!  :thumbsup:

Who? Me?

Seriously, most of my pre-puncture ride was on a trailway so not particularly dangerous. Scared the living daylights out of the couple I was riding past (and their dog) when it popped, though.  :demon:;D

As I intended to change the knobbly MTB tyres for something more suitable when they wore out I hoped to get a couple of months (at least) out of the ones that were on the bike when I bought it for the princely sum of £20. Frame's straight, bearings are all good, front wheel runs true, back wheel has a little wiggle which I'll deal with soon. Just needs a little work to turn it into a respectable, simple,  basic bike with very little to go wrong. Money well spent to acquire a bike that, when fettled, will be far more reliable than any BSO from the likes of Hal****s or Argos.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #736 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:59:19 pm »
That you really should always check to make sure nothing has fallen into your top loading washing machine before loading it.
Also, what happens when you wash your clothes with a copy of the yellow pages........
California Dreaming

« Reply #737 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
O.
Pictures?

Chris S

« Reply #738 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
O.
Pictures?

My guess. It'll be yellow(ish).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #739 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »
And a bit pulpy...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #740 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:04:16 pm »
I wouldn't have thought there was enough paper in a modern Yellow Pages to cause more pulp than the average train ticket...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #741 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:14:34 pm »
I wouldn't have thought there was enough paper in a modern Yellow Pages to cause more pulp than the average train ticket...

Or a tenner.  :(  Bugger!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #742 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:45:05 pm »
While not being as thick as the ones I remember as a child, the local one here in silicon valley is still nearly an inch thick. *Everything* was grey. I almost threw out a sock as it looked just like a lump of wet paper.
California Dreaming

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #743 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
That one of my neighbours has the wonderful name Sascha and a surname ending in -aa. And that when Royal Mail employ new posties (I think he's a temp covering for hols – our normal postie is ace and a cyclist!) they don't necessarily read the envelopes (first he delivered ours with the neighbour's, then came back with something else for us, at which point I intercepted him and gave him Mr Sascha's post).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #744 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »
Today I have learned that the disc coming loose on an 8in grinder (a cheap one without any motor braking) is Very Scary.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #745 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:53:51 pm »
Bet your heart rate was a trifle elevated till it stopped!
Wombat

« Reply #746 on: 28 October, 2015, 02:05:12 pm »
YES <cough> yes. Sorry for the squeek.

It was an excellent quality, quite heavy, diamond disc in at the time.

That period before it came to rest (with at least another 1/4 turn on the boss) allowed for a fairly extended amount of introspection and speculation. I used to think that the rotation kept it done up, apparently not.

« Reply #747 on: 28 October, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »
Have you used it since?  :o

I learned that I must have worn my old cycling gloves with grubby mitts before I lost them in the deepest, darkest recesses of 'stuff that might be useful one day'.

Arrived at my destination with filthy hands.

« Reply #748 on: 28 October, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »
A disc cut is nasty, usually requiring that material also be removed from around the cut for healing to take place.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #749 on: 28 October, 2015, 05:36:53 pm »
By my calculation, the edge of a 230mm disc running at 6000rpm is moving at a velocity of 72m per second. Wow.