Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858073 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1475 on: 12 October, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
Uuurgghh rurrrgh.  Nggghhh ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1476 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:26:27 pm »
Uuuurrrrrggggh nnnnrrrrggggh!

Oh, sorry. The Archers thread is thataway >>>>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1477 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:29:42 pm »
Thanks to Svante Pääbo, I now know that very roughly half the Neanderthal genome has so far been found to be still floating around - in us. And the more people are tested, the more is found.

My mind is boggled.

A fascinating program.   Amazing  that new hominids are being identified even when they have  left no physical trace.  Only residual non-modern human DNA still surviving in isolated clusters.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1478 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:54:54 pm »
Yeah. Impressive enough that a test to see whether a bone was us or Neanderthal could find a completely unexpected new type of human, so we now know of a type of human which was definitely distinct, but which we know nothing about the appearance of, it being known only from a couple of teeth & a bone or two. And then the 'no physical trace' ones - wow!

The discussion of Neanderthal populations & genetic diversity or lack of was also fascinating. What did they think they were? Cheetahs?

A proper Horizon. I liked it a lot. Now I have some reading to do.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1479 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:00:42 pm »
Damn - missed it. I'm good friends with Janet Kelso, one of the bioinformatics group leaders in Pääbo's department. Have to get it on iPlayer.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1480 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:03:22 pm »
That it's 50 years since the Aberfan disaster.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1481 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:04:13 pm »
Damn - missed it. I'm good friends with Janet Kelso, one of the bioinformatics group leaders in Pääbo's department. Have to get it on iPlayer.
She's in it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1482 on: 13 October, 2016, 12:54:24 pm »

I only caught the last 3 minutes of the programme last night (The Young Wives' Club) but I was in tears at the final scene. I found it on +1 and recorded it. I'll watch when I'm feeling strong.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1483 on: 13 October, 2016, 12:56:15 pm »

I wonder how many people of my age or younger have even heard of it?

I only became aware when it came up in a Geography lesson at GCSE.  It must be prehistoric for the younger generations.  I suppose the same can probably be said for coal mining.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1484 on: 13 October, 2016, 01:04:44 pm »
I was 14, and remember arriving at my grandmother's house and finding her in tears, in a terrible state, being quite reasonably upset by what had happened to all those unsuspecting children.  From what I gathered at the time (I've not remotely studied the subject) it was another corporate carelessness job, leavened with a lack of knowledge about watercourses or something.

Whatever, it should be a lesson for the future.
Wombat

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1485 on: 13 October, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
A Welsh university lecturer with a bent for process safety.  One of those sad case studies that every chemical engineer should learn about.

Along with
Bhopal
Alexander Keilland
Piper Alpha
Seveso
Texas City
Feyzin
Deepwater Horizon
... (unfortunately we keep repeating these)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1486 on: 13 October, 2016, 04:01:01 pm »
Reviewing engineering failures is part of the first year of engineering courses in Oz. I hadn't come across Aberfan before now, not unexpectedly. Also not too surprising that it made a big impression in the UK.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1487 on: 13 October, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »
Flixborough too.
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1488 on: 13 October, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »
Alexander Kielland was an interesting case. My father lost a number of friends that day. It certainly had an impact on testing and certification.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1489 on: 13 October, 2016, 04:56:45 pm »
Ronan Point is one of the big ones for us structural engineers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1490 on: 13 October, 2016, 05:08:31 pm »
I remember that. Quite a kerfuffle it caused.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1491 on: 13 October, 2016, 05:23:53 pm »

I only caught the last 3 minutes of the programme last night (The Young Wives' Club) but I was in tears at the final scene. I found it on +1 and recorded it. I'll watch when I'm feeling strong.

The thing that struck me was the stoicism demonstrated by the residents and rescue workers. One guy was asked a question by a young reporter and replied his mother was 'probably in there' before going back to digging. Another man interviewed said he was looking for his son, his daughter had already been found safe.

Difficult to watch, can only thank the stars and hope to never have that experience.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1492 on: 13 October, 2016, 06:30:56 pm »
That is a day I will never forget. I was delivering morning newspapers carrying the Aberfan headlines and came across a BISF (British Iron and Steel) house roaring in flame and watched the asbestos roof explode. (Occupant had been smoking in bed). I was 13.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1493 on: 13 October, 2016, 11:10:38 pm »
Reviewing engineering failures is part of the first year of engineering courses in Oz. I hadn't come across Aberfan before now, not unexpectedly. Also not too surprising that it made a big impression in the UK.

I had the same in 2000 as part of the first year of my chem eng course, 'what happens if we make a mistake'. Buildings blown out, Piper Alpha, Bhopal etc. were all part of it.

Texas City was while I was post grad as was Bunsfield.

They were all examples of doing things without full thought or full quality control during construction. Most of the fatalities at Texas City would have been avoided by following protocol and telling next door what you were about to do, the meeting would have been held elsewhere. Though the route cause of the incident is more involved the consequences would have been much reduced.

« Reply #1494 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:48:04 am »
Adding to the list: DH Comet, Liberty ship hull failures. We had examples brought up through the various modules on my aero eng degree, but I always thought a second- or final-year seminar course on engineering failures would be a useful introduction to engineering practice; get given a classic case study to read up on and discuss every week.

« Reply #1495 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:50:30 am »
The shuttle's tiles ?  One of our Uni lecturers was involved with sticking them on, or perhaps was consulted when they had failed to stick on.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1496 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:26:28 am »
A Welsh university lecturer with a bent for process safety.  One of those sad case studies that every chemical engineer should learn about.

Along with
Bhopal
Alexander Keilland
Piper Alpha
Seveso
Texas City
Feyzin
Deepwater Horizon
... (unfortunately we keep repeating these)

Seveso was so important that there's an entire EU Directive named after it.  "The Directive is widely considered as a benchmark for industrial accident policy and has been a role model for legislation in many countries world-wide."[http://ec.europa.eu/environment/seveso/index.htm]
The production director of the Seveso chemical plant was subsequently shot and killed by a terrorist organisation.  This incident led to much of our current understanding of the dangers of dioxins.

Back OT, I learned about the structure of the foot in a dissection programme on BBC4 last night.  Gross, but fascinating.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1497 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:49:36 am »

Similar in development to the Shenzen landslide last December.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Shenzhen_landslide
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1498 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:45:51 am »
That cardinals over 80 do not have the right to vote for the next pope. At present only 111 of the 211 cardinals are entitled to take part in a conclave, which means if Francis were to die right now, they'd have to do something special: they need a minimum of 121 voters to choose a pope.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1499 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:52:52 am »
That cardinals over 80 do not have the right to vote for the next pope. At present only 111 of the 211 cardinals are entitled to take part in a conclave, which means if Francis were to die right now, they'd have to do something special: they need a minimum of 121 voters to choose a pope.

God will provide ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime