Author Topic: 'Gilbert's Syndrome'  (Read 1442 times)

'Gilbert's Syndrome'
« on: 20 March, 2012, 11:44:22 am »
Anyone here with any knowledge of this?

It seems like we might have a family member with this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

Re: 'Gilbert's Syndrome'
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »
My dad had it.

It's caused by a reduced activity of the liver enzyme responsible for processing bilirubin from the blood. Hence sometimes people with the condition can appear jaundiced. It's pretty common (5-10% of population) and not generally considered a serious condition. There's evidence it has a protective effect against heart disease.

« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Did your dad need to make any allowances for it in his lifestyle?

We are getting some info saying that it can be the cause of sleep disruption and chronic fatigue.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:28:33 pm »
He wasn't that tolerant of alcohol, and also had gall bladder disease (his gall bladder was eventually removed). As bile is important for fat digestion, avoiding excess high fat foods could be a good idea. My dad always had a problem with high fat foods, but they bother me too and I don't seem to have GS (my LFTs have always been normal).

My mum was talking the other day about how much energy my dad had when he was young - and he was known to have the condition from a young age. Back then, they tried to treat it with phenobarbitone, which boosts liver function. It's also hepatotoxic, and is a sedative, so he have that up after finding it causing him trouble when driving.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
Cheers, that's useful info.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:28:38 pm »
I've had it for over 70 years with no practical bad effects except inability to win world cycling championships (probably not the main reason!).Ignore it.