Author Topic: what do you do ?  (Read 7845 times)

Re: what do you do ?
« Reply #25 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »
Revellinho your not alone, I'm quite slow myself, I believe it's referred to as getting your money's worth, looking on the carradice site the Nelson is a bit bigger than the Barley, there are some interesting approaches to doing 400+ rides, which I'm sure I will get the hang of in time, In the meantime I'll be doing my 100's and using my faithful Barley :)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #26 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »
what do i do? - leave my barley at home as it's too big for audaxes. i take few small bags instead - i found they work better for me.

« Reply #27 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »
Whereas I say 'spare capacity weighs practically nothing'.
Take it and use it judiciously.

Just because you have a spare carrier bag in your pocket, nobody says you have to fill it.

It's nice to remove clothing should the weather improve unexpectedly and to have space for that clothing.

I went up from a 4.5 litre R&K Contour bag that has enough capacity for 200s to a Barley for my first 600 (BCM) recently.   But I did fabricate a bungee arrangement that would hold clothing that might be shed during the day to the loops on top of it.   OK I did have a tiny 2 litre bar bag too - but that was mostly taken up with electronic gubbins running off the dynohub that I was testing out.... and had the route sheet attached to the top.   

Barley gave me enough space for all the usual stuff + extra tubes, spare tyre, spare spoke, cables, spoke key, NBT2 (which I didnt use but lent to another rider who would have been stuffed without it) 

Bag drop items were used, 'tis true, but just to have the luxury of shower stuff & fresh clothes.       I felt I had too much "stuff" altogether, which meant time wasted on faffage.  Just the Barley would have been fine.

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:15:10 pm »
Mini Bungees are a bargainacious solution to stowing excess clothes; almost worth fitting a rack for, but can also be deployed around a saddle bag.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »
Carradice Nelson for me for anything from 400k to 1400k  :thumbsup:

Alternatively, I recall the motto of LEJOG 2010 was "travel light, ride smelly"

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:22:09 pm »
Carradice Nelson for me for anything from 400k to 1400k  :thumbsup:

Alternatively, I recall the motto of LEJOG 2010 was "travel light, ride smelly"

Happy days  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »
I have a topeak trunk bag which slides on to a clamped on beam.
It is the smallest one they do. I've done lots of 200's and a 300 with it.
For the longer rides I have planned I will simply put extra stuff in a plastic bag and bungy it to the trunk bag.
Might go down the Carradice route or simply get a bigger Topeak trunk bag if the plastic bag option doesn't work out.
I also have a Topeak Drybag, just big enough for Brevet card, money, phone, flapjack, condoms and a couple of Jack Daniels miniatures. (you never know!)  :demon:
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #32 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »
I normally use a Barley for all rides including 1200s and above. I do have a Nelson Longflap that was handy for a Perm 1500 when we were staying in B&Bs each night and a full change of clothes was needed, but in general I prefer a smaller bag. In fact I've just bought a Carradice Zip Roll which looks an ideal size for summer 200/300 rides. Can't wait to try it out.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #33 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:44:00 pm »
I've only started this year but I've got the bug, I know I was warned :facepalm:

so my mind has turned to doing an SR next year, what I would like to know is what do you people do when going over 200km with regards to carrying kit, especially the 400 and 600km distances, I already have a Barley which goes everywhere with me, would a super c or similar be adequate. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look out for in readiness for next season,

I'll show you when you come to build your wheels - current set up plus my PBP rig from last year.   ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #34 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »
"It is a law immutable that the further you are to travel, the more you must carry."
</Austen>

Read Ranulph Feinnes' "Mind Over Matter" which IMO is absolutely essential reading for any serious randonneur.

In the first part of the book he explains in great detail, the logistics of setting up a one-man crossing of the Antarctic and why, as he set off on the first steps of this epic journey, it took several attempts just to actually start moving at all, his load was so heavy.
(Though the best bit of the story is when, after many weeks of travelling alone, he arrives at the South Pole - he is so traumatised at the prospect of human company that he just presses on past, without stopping.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:04:00 am »
When I started doing 400km rides I got a Super C saddlebag, rated at 23l
I did try using a Barley v(12l ISTR)  on a wet BCM, it was fine for capacity but I hated the buckles.  The Super C remained in use.

I used this until PBP 2007 when I switched to a lighter 16l SQR Tour

For the next PBP 2011 I was using an Ortlieb bar bag, an 8l one plus the SQR Tour
This vast carrying volume let me get to PBP and back by bike/train
Using a bar bag on PBP worked great, much less stopping as everything was right there in front of me
This year I have been messing about with attaching dry bags to supplement the bar bag capacity.
Immediate access stuff goes in the bar bag and clothes and tools at the back

If you have got the right clothing this can reduce the volume carried a lot
I now have Gore Bikewear Windstopper arm and leg warmers for instance
Compared to carrying tights and a spare LS jersey that's a good space saving
I  also have a tiny paclite waterproof instead of a much larger coat

The biggest problem weather conditions are if it is going to vary between hot, cold, dry and wet
Layers that come off must be stored somewhere

« Reply #36 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:22:52 am »
One of the reasons I don't like Carradice saddlebags (as well as the testicular swing) is the way that stuff falls out when you open them up. This is also true of the Ortleib saddlebag. A rack bag sits on your rack and stuff only falls out if you fail to do it up properly (which I do, all too often).
The rack bag with drop-down sides (a cheap version of this) holds enough for a 600 for both of us on the tandem, when used in conjunction with teeny-weeny panniers full of electronics and snacks. Tools in a wedge pack on the frame.
I definitely think that less is more. Tuggo halved my luggage for PBP and I still didn't use all of it. If you have space, you generally fill it, and there's just no need.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
One of the reasons I don't like Carradice saddlebags (as well as the testicular swing) is the way that stuff falls out when you open them up

I hear what you are saying but none of mine do this.   Even if I leave the side pockets open by mistake I don't loose anything riding along.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
Ditto.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #39 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:44:29 pm »

« Reply #40 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:45:50 pm »
Ditto, it's all in the angle of the dangle. Maybe us men are just naturally better at setting something up that has a testicular swing <ducks and runs>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:49:54 pm »
Not sure I'm qualified to comment, not having done longer rides.  But there comes a point where your preparation is sufficient for any length of ride (barring changes of clothes, when bag drops might be in place anyway).

For my last few longish rides, I've used a barbag, partly to hold map & routesheet, but also for personals.  Saddlebag copes with layers coming off or waiting ready to go on if necessary.  The system works.  I guess I could get away with a smaller saddlebag than a Super C, but I prefer to have a bit of spare space if poss, and I wouldn't want to reduce the number of tools/spares, cereal bars and FAK I carry.  In fact, at the last one, that first aid kit came in very handy and gained me brownie points when the organiser cut his finger and was bleeding on the spare routesheets. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #42 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:54:49 pm »
Well, 'I don't really like Carradice' was hardly going to find much affirmation on this forum of fan-boys, was it?
They're not really suitable for anyone with a short seat post, I find they smell fusty, and, there's a limit to how much of a stereotype I'm willing to look like...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »
To be fair, Carradice make some perfectly good rack bags, and retro-chic indestructible leaky panniers.  It's not all ugly testicular swing.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but one thing I'll do when packing for a ride is pack every layer I might want to remove, plus a reasonable amount of food (I tend to carry more than most people, as I don't always agree with typical cafĂ© fare) and all the tools, spares and whatnot.  That way you don't fill space you're going to need later with random stuff.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »
There is definitely an issue with saddlebags and short seatposts.  Butterfly wore a hole in the bottom of one.  Even a Bagman can't provide the lift (though an SQR can, pretty much).  Older style supports, fitting to the frame, or providing an uplift from the back of the saddle to attach to, such as Jane uses, are the answer.
Getting there...

« Reply #45 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »
Well, 'I don't really like Carradice' was hardly going to find much affirmation on this forum of fan-boys, was it?
They're not really suitable for anyone with a short seat post, I find they smell fusty, and, there's a limit to how much of a stereotype I'm willing to look like...
Saddlebags (especially the ones with pockets) are extremely wide and therefore have a slimming effect on the rider's posterior.

YMMV
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »
Even a Bagman can't provide the lift

A kind of M&S underpants problem...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #47 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
My posterior is wider than many saddlebags. Bu I never got on with my Karrimor saddlebag so went for panniers.
That which fits me will fit few others as we're all different sizes and shapes.
Leaving spare capacity spare should not take a HYOOGE amount of self-discipline.
I don't think I took much excess luggage with me. Slow, solo riders need contingency supplies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »
Slow, solo riders need contingency supplies.

This cannot be stressed enough.

« Reply #49 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »
I've never done more than 400 but only ever use a little "bento box" plus mini saddle bag, along with pockets etc. Anything you use (eat etc) can always be replenished on the way around.