Author Topic: Richard Ellis Memorial 200 & 100km 6th October 2018  (Read 5726 times)

Re: Richard Ellis Memorial 200 & 100km 6th October 2018
« Reply #25 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:41:36 pm »
I was determined to ride this year and meet the Ellis family, a cold and sore hamstring meant that I had to drop down to the 100. After starting last I caught up with Tony the cabbie, unusual for Big Saxon to catch anyone, and decided to stay with him the whole ride, reduces the chances of going off course. Slow going in the wind and rain, but being dressed for the elements and my ACME cap keeping the rain off my head made it a fairly comfortable ride.

Met Bikeabilityman at Maglia Rosso, for a brief exchange before retracing and passing many regular faces, including Raymond with whom I hope to ride again shortly, maybe Silly Suffolk next week. No real dramas, left Tony in the last 2k as his legs went so Lanterne Rouge but one, with plenty of time to spare and able to have a relaxing chat with all at base, sampling the various cakes and pizza before putting on my new ACME summer jersey to drive home in, it was the only dry clothing left. No ill effects on the cold or hamstring front, although just lifted my son's mobility scooter into my car tonight after it broke down, 200 lbs of dead metal, the hamstring did not like that.

Anyway, good to be back in the ACME fold, ready for the Winter Series and the numerous PBP qualifiers next year, I will see how it goes, at least I overcame my mental block about riding in the cold, wet and windy weather so perhaps I have got my mojo back.   

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 08 October, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »
... the Ellis clan were a welcoming bunch of controllers - we must be able to find Ryan(?) an ACME jersey instead of his Southend Wheelers jersey when he is on duty  :thumbsup:

I have an extra small winter jersey I will send - it is very much junior size, so should be ok for Ryan.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 14 October, 2018, 08:07:27 pm »
Cake bakers and tea providers turned down their expenses from last week, so a donation in memory of Richard was made to Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance of the funds I'd set aside. I got a nice
thank-you letter, from their Chief Executive on Friday, so now I pass those thanks on to those who really deserve it and gave their time and tea, cake etc so generously.