Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68651 times)

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #125 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:32:00 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Ruth

« Reply #126 on: 15 April, 2014, 12:07:55 am »
(click to show/hide)

Or is that just me?

No, me too.  But
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #127 on: 15 April, 2014, 12:11:43 am »
No, it was a highlight for me when I first read it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #128 on: 15 April, 2014, 08:54:35 am »
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #129 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:37:30 am »
They'll have to change it from the books if they outpace them at this rate.  Won't be any more series to do otherwise.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #130 on: 15 April, 2014, 11:17:23 am »
(click to show/hide)

The actor is who plays Theon is Lily Allen's brother. Talented family.

fuzzy

« Reply #131 on: 15 April, 2014, 11:22:24 am »
They'll have to change it from the books if they outpace them at this rate.  Won't be any more series to do otherwise.

At the rate I'm getting to watch the series's, Bluray, LED TV's, streaming etc will be archaic technology before I get round to finishing ;D

« Reply #132 on: 15 April, 2014, 11:40:11 am »
Here is how the plot goes

Jamie comes out. He's gay. He's always known it. But he's a member of the Kingsguard so will remain celibate.

The Loras immediately makes a pass at him. Brienne is pissed off by this and kicks Loras's puny ass off the walls of Kings Landing.

In true Joffrey style, Joffrey totally loses it at the concept of having a gay uncle and goes for Jamie with a sword. Brienne twists his arm behind his back and sits on him. Joffrey is overcome with lust; what he's always really wanted was for a big strong woman to beat on him and make him beg. He spends the next three episodes following Brienne around like a lovesick puppy saying things like "I am your king! I order you to whip me.".

Cersei is consumed in fury by all of this and screams at everyone. Everyone ignores her.

Tyrion sits in a corner getting pissed.

Tywin sits on a chair and shouts at people.

The dragons mate and lay loads of eggs. Dragons lay *hundreds* of eggs. Suddenly they are no longer rare or desirable.

Sam has the idea of spraying white walkers with water. White walkers immediately freeze in place and Night's Watch amuse themselves by pissing on them.

Everyone hits Theon Greyjoy.  In fact, there is a lineup at one stage, like that scene in Airplane.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #133 on: 15 April, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »

It is known. ;)

I reckon that if GRRM can wrap up the book series in 7 books and he doesn't suffer any delays as for book 5, it might be just possible to get both series to conclude simultaneously. Bear with me on this...

HBO just renewed the show for seasons 5-6, and the show-runners (who have been told by GRRM how the story ends) say they can wrap it all in 8. This season is finishing off book 3 and getting started on books 4 and 5, weaved together in chronological order.

The big delay in getting book 5 out was GRRM doing a rewrite when his initial idea of an in-story five year jump required too much in the way of exposition and flashbacks, plus trying to work out how to get the Essos and Westeros storylines to finally converge ("the Mereenese Knot"). A certain amount of the delay in writing book 6 has been GRRM getting distracted by side projects, but he had a small luxury of several chapters from the book 5 draft held back.

Without any more displacement activity, there's a hope (in the fandom at least) that book 6 comes out next year, and if GRRM can wrap up ASOIAF in 7 books, the last one might be out in say, 2018. Subject to him not doing a Robert Jordan or Frank Herbert and dying before the series is concluded...

So, an optimistic projection might be:

Season 4 - filmed 2013, on TV now, depicting books 3/4 (+5?)
Season 5 - filming 2014, on TV 2015, depicting books 4 and 5  - assume book 6 published early(ish) in 2015
Season 6 - filming 2015, on TV 2016, depicting books 5 and 6
Season 7 - filming 2016, on TV 2017, depicting books 6 and the show's makers interpretation of what GRRM has told them
Season 8 - filming 2017, on TV 2018, depicting the show's makers interpretation of what GRRM has told them - book 8 published in time for the start of season 8

Best taken well salted, but it's no more implausible than mrcharly's post above mine - though he's not far off wrt Cersei, Tyrion and Theon Reek.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

caerau

« Reply #134 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »
Talk ye not of Robert Jordan  :hand:

I literally just finished The Wheel of Time last week.  I started reading it in 1994/5  :jurek:

I truly hope he doesn't go anywhere doing a Jordan in any sense of the word.  I first bought AGoT during the interminable wait for book 7 of the WoT - I'd no idea it would be a similar wait-marathon.

caerau

« Reply #135 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
You do of course realise that the scenes with Reek/Theon are actually out of the latest book.  This I find most interesting of all.  Without source books for upcoming series they reall *are* going to have to diverge from the books (or at least make the books more boring for those that still want to read them).

fuzzy

« Reply #136 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
You think ASOIAF leaves you hanging on for the next installment?

Have you started to read the Earths Children saga and waited for books in that one?

Where do I find the tumbleweed emoticon?

caerau

« Reply #137 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »
Wow yes, those gaps are even bigger.  Are they self contained books though?  If they are that's maybe not so bad.
You have my sympathies if not.  :-)

I don't think you could read the books of ASOIAF out of order or miss one out...

GRRM was still taking the piss a little bit with 7 years between books at one point.  Even Jordan didn't manage that much of a gap when he was dead.

fuzzy

« Reply #138 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:29:06 pm »
They can be picked up and read alone I suppose but, constant reference is made throughout them to the characters past life as told in the earlier books.

They are a good read though.

caerau

« Reply #139 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »
I shall wait for them all to be out and read them one after the other just to annoy  :P  ;-)

... if I can remember to do so when I am old and wrinkly ;)

« Reply #140 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »
You do of course realise that the scenes with Reek/Theon are actually out of the latest book.  This I find most interesting of all.  Without source books for upcoming series they reall *are* going to have to diverge from the books (or at least make the books more boring for those that still want to read them).

There's an interesting chart that shows how the TV episodes and POV chapters have got increasingly out of step with successive TV series:

http://i.imgur.com/R1uOWlY.png

Season 4's going to be all over the place compared with the books. Mind you, when you consider what Peter Jackson did with the Middle Earth canon, especially in the Hobbit...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #141 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:38:53 pm »
I shall wait for them all to be out and read them one after the other just to annoy  :P  ;-)

... if I can remember to do so when I am old and wrinkly ;)

Fill your boots! She claims to have finished the saga.

caerau

« Reply #142 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »

There's an interesting chart that shows how the TV episodes and POV chapters have got increasingly out of step with successive TV series:

http://i.imgur.com/R1uOWlY.png

Season 4's going to be all over the place compared with the books. Mind you, when you consider what Peter Jackson did with the Middle Earth canon, especially in the Hobbit...

Hmm, some people have too much time on their hands  ;D

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #143 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
I think there will be a merge of GOT with LOR at some point. Not sure if they will go for actual hobbits doing sex but I for one look forward to the elven bits. As long as it isnt Gandalf weilding his staff.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #144 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
OK, I admit it - having previously been a GOT sceptic, I'm converted. I've downloaded the first three series and am gradually working my way through them. And I'm recording the fourth series as broadcast. Shouldn't take me too long to catch up at current rate of progress. I still have reservations but it's basically great drama, and great fun.

Daenerys Targaryan is probably my favourite character in anything on the telly at the moment. She's ace.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #145 on: 17 April, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »
I like Tyrion Lannister and Bron.

Developing a sneaking fondness for The Hound. He can't help having a shit for a brother.

As for female characters, Ygritte "You know nothing, John Snow" is alright, as is Osha.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #146 on: 17 April, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »
Developing a sneaking fondness for The Hound.

I met the actor (forget his name) at the GOT party I went to for the launch of the second series. He's a smashing bloke in real life.

Peter Dinklage is just class in whatever he appears in. Tyrion is a great character. But still second to Daenerys in my book.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #147 on: 17 April, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »
Brienne and Jaime when together on screen are always entertaining.

Reading the books, it's amusing as the characters are pretty much the same age as the characters in Harry Potter, only leading much more adult lives.

« Reply #148 on: 17 April, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »
Of the characters being followed, that's true of some, but by no means all.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruth

« Reply #149 on: 17 April, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »
If you compared life expectancy in Westerros with life expectancy in the Harry Potter world, I wonder which one would win.