Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68741 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #225 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:38:15 am »
Who's done with the show, and who's sticking around to see how bad it can get?

I thought it was picking up in ep4 (see earlier post) but the last couple of episodes have been soooo dull. I'm losing interest rapidly.

A lot of the problem seems to be that most of the best characters were killed off in the last series but, unlike when that has happened in previous series, they haven't been replaced with equally interesting new characters.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #226 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:45:25 am »
I'm just pleased that they are now ignoring the books. By this time, Martin was wandering off into random sub-plots that did nothing at all to advance the storyline. At times it was like he couldn't think what to put into the next chapter, so used a random plot generator website.

Within a couple of episodes, they will have overtaken the books. Only the absolute die-hard fans will bother reading the next book.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #227 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:01:30 pm »
There's a storyline completely missing so far this series. What's happened to Bran Stark who was led down a cave north of the wall last series.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #228 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »
It's one thing to deviate from the books in order to tidy up the cat's cradle of plot-lines, but that only works if it's handled intelligently - and mileage is varying wildly on whether D&D are pulling it off or pissing all over various characters' story arcs.

And I was asking the question partly because I was half-expecting at least one of the forum sisterhood who watches AGoT to have waxed very wroth by now...

Among other things, HBO’s Game of Thrones is a show that has been given enormous leeway in its depiction of sexualized violence, in no small part because George R.R Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” has as one of its major thematic elements a harsh critique of the patriarchal culture of medieval societies, and the sexualized violence inherent in such a society. However, that doesn’t mean the same thing as a blank check. Last season, when the showrunners inadvertently (or not) turned Cersei and Jaime’s reunion in the Sept of Baelor into a rape scene, they were loudly (and rightly) critiqued for having botched an important moment in the story in such a way that reinforced rape culture.

So with this last scene, I think the showrunners have betrayed the trust of their audience, by depicting a scene of brutality against Sansa Stark for no purpose. We already knew that Ramsay Bolton was a sadist and an abuser of women, we already knew that Theon Greyjoy was his tormented puppet. Showing Sansa’s dress ripped, showing her face shoved down into the bed, hearing her screams did nothing to reveal character, or advance the plot, or critique anything about Westerosi society or about our own conceptions of medieval society that hasn’t already been critiqued.

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/18/game_of_thrones_politics_secret_missions_desperate_lies_and_the_dangerous_art_of_the_double_cross/

See also: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/game-of-thrones-is-gross-exploitative-and-totally-out-1705235364

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #229 on: 19 May, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »
It's rather yet to be decided if that scene reveals anything about character isn't it?  It's difficult for it to 'reveal' anything when nothing has happened subsequently yet - unless someone has a crystal ball (or pirated copy of the next episode) to hand.

Also, yes we know he's a sadistic ruthless bastard - so it would be rather out of character for him not to continue displaying it. It would have been more ridiculous for him to marry her and then suddenly turn into a charming prince lovely would it not?  ::-)

Who knows, maybe Sansa will now be a ruthless scheming bitch now bent on revenge and will outmanoeuvre RB through all that Littlefinger has taught her...

Nice to be able to speculate seeing as this is utterly different to him.. (don't read if you don't know the books and want to read)

(click to show/hide)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #230 on: 19 May, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »
One further point - I assume the main story arcs are still going to be the same - I suspect you'll find that the end of the series will have some rather barnstorming stuff  ;D   - we'll be up on the books by then I think.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #231 on: 20 May, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
I've given up with the tv show. I watched the first couple of this series, got bored, couldn't be arsed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #232 on: 20 May, 2015, 12:42:54 pm »
I've given up with the tv show. I watched the first couple of this series, got bored, couldn't be arsed.

me too.

VIKINGS is better :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #233 on: 20 May, 2015, 01:47:08 pm »
For the GoT and Coldplay fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URvDyzh8uI
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

red marley

« Reply #234 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:02:50 am »
And the full length version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

« Reply #235 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:54:35 am »
I never liked Robson and Jerome, but I would happily buy a CD of Jerome singing the folk songs of the 7 kingdoms. The Dornishman's wife was a highlight of last nights episode.

citoyen

« Reply #236 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:56:53 am »
The Dornishman's wife was a highlight of last nights episode.

...which just goes to show how dull the rest of it was.

The whole Sam and Gilly thing has always made me cringe but last night's episode was ridiculous.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #237 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:40:44 am »
Weren't Sam and Gilly in The Spiders From Mars?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #238 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:50:30 am »
I binge watched the first 3 series, so it seemed to move a lot faster than it did. I'm still really enjoying the series, but I do seem to be in the minority.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #239 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:10:10 pm »
I believe even the durable Dr Larrington is starting to flag by now but she has to keep watching at least this series to the bitter end in order to finish her book on the subj.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #241 on: 27 May, 2015, 12:01:29 pm »
Human Centipede On Ice!  ;D

« Reply #242 on: 27 May, 2015, 01:52:10 pm »
Human Centipede On Ice!  ;D

So that's what Qyburn's been working on.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #243 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
Why you should never let a Game of Thrones fan decorate the guest bathroom:

http://tumblr.tastefullyoffensive.com/post/120364708123/photo-via-brianito

;D

caerau

« Reply #244 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:13:49 pm »
Well to all the boredom crowd  - don't reckon so tonight  :thumbsup: ;D
And that was nothing like the book as I recall (it's possible I do not they take him soooo long to write) so that's damn cool by me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome

citoyen

« Reply #245 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:09:19 am »
Pffft. I had my fill of overblown battle scenes with Lord of the Rings.

« Reply #246 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:16:12 am »
I *loved* the
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

« Reply #247 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:25:58 am »
Pffft. I had my fill of overblown battle scenes with Lord of the Rings.

:-\  Go an watch Law and Order or summat then

« Reply #248 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:02:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #249 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:37:20 am »
Ok, I watched it again and it was much better the second time. I think I was just a bit too tired to properly follow it last night.

Big chief white walker dude is one badass mofo.