Author Topic: If someone asked you to get their bike serviced at a shop, what would you expect  (Read 1364 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Might be more a knowledge topic, but I feel it is more for the pub.

The direction I wish to take is not get involved.

Background:
Friend has a bike that I stupidly mentioned that the rear schwable tyre needed replacing as there was no tread left.  The bike is not cared for.  Not been cleaned in ages.  They have asked for the bike to be serviced.  They would like/want me to do the bike servicing but I don't.  Any way and to the point they now want me to take it to a bike shop for a quote for a service.  But doesn't say what they want serviced.  When asked the reply was what do you think needs doing.  Which to me is a great deal. 

Basically to clean the bike at the minimum and clean the wheels check the brake surface on the wheels and check and clean the brake pads.  The clean the drivetrain and check to see if the cogs and chain rings aren't worn and how worn the chain is to see if it needs replacing or the whole set.

Then checking the brake and gear cable condition, then the outers.  Finally check the headset, maybe clean and regrease then the wheel hubs.  Open and inspect.  Probably clean and regrease.

At that point wouldn't a new bike be cheaper?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
If they want the bike serviced they can take it to a shop and find out the cost themselves.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
If they want the bike serviced they can take it to a shop and find out the cost themselves.

Is the correct answer.

But for some reason wants me to do the work.  This has been told to as they wanted there sister or brother in Law to ask me.  This has been chatted about in family group messaging. They don't want to ask me directly.

They want me to do the work, as I look after their (the family) car and currently working on their sisters motorbike.  They don't want to ask me directly and, I believe, they want me to offer.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Having managed an LBS - I think you'll find that most will have a 3 level "menu" Bronze/Silver/Gold service packages at fixed prices + parts.  Each with a list of the tasks included.

Take your pick!

My experience at the shop, and now with the micro-business I run at my workshop at home "Silver" is the most popular.

So, send the person to a shop!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
My experience at the shop, and now with the micro-business I run at my workshop at home "Silver" is the most popular.

Given cheap, not too pricey and expensive options most people will take the middle one simply for what it says about them.  Grocers discovered this back in the Dark Ages.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Given cheap, not too pricey and expensive options most people will take the middle one simply for what it says about them.  Grocers discovered this back in the Dark Ages.

I understand that this also works for restaurant wine lists.
The cheapest wine (for them to buy in) is listed as the second least expensive on the menu.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Gat at best I'd offer to go with them incase they're worried about getting fleeced, next option would be try and find a local well reviewed/trusted LBS and give them options. Or just say no.

I think otherwise you'll end up as a conduit for any problems

When my Roberts needed servicing after many years of fault-free riding but only basic maintenance and keeping it very clean, I took it to a good LBS and asked them to do the necessary.  It was expensive but they did a great job, much more than I could have done with no half-measures. I could not have got a new bike for what they charged, not anything half as good, even.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Until I was asked I'd say and do nothing.

Once I was asked I'd suggest taking the bike to a local shop.  The Torslanda's of this world are expert in dealing with "service" requests.

Does your LBS have a website with prices for different levels of service?

Kinda lke this: https://www.mud-dock.co.uk/cycleworks/servicing-repairs/

Saves anybody having to go anywhere!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It was expensive but they did a great job, much more than I could have done with no half-measures.

Exactly this. They have a properly equipped workshop and they aren’t trying to fit in helping out friends/family in between other responsibilities.

I don’t mind helping people out with odd bits of bike maintenance but a full service is time consuming and skilled work, and quality parts not made of cheese aren’t cheap. I expect this is the key point that Gattopardo’s friend is failing to grasp.

I could not have got a new bike for what they charged, not anything half as good, even.

Depends on the bike though. If it’s a BSO, you could replace it like-for-like for less than the cost of a full service, but you’d be getting something that would need replacing again in a year or two.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Having managed an LBS - I think you'll find that most will have a 3 level "menu" Bronze/Silver/Gold service packages at fixed prices + parts.  Each with a list of the tasks included.

Take your pick!

So, send the person to a shop!

Think that is the issue, they want someone to makethe decisions and work for them.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Gat at best I'd offer to go with them incase they're worried about getting fleeced, next option would be try and find a local well reviewed/trusted LBS and give them options. Or just say no.

I think otherwise you'll end up as a conduit for any problems

Know of any near Tottenham Hale in that London..

Think that I will end up being to blame if anything goes wrong.

Though am tempted to stick the in tothe nearest halfords for their free check and see what happens.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
To keep you up to date Halfords have diagnosed a new BB, chain and cassette. The BB is proper knckered with lots of play.  The chain and cassette is a bit meh.

Seems like it's sorted.  I'd have explained to them that shop servicing and home servicing is different, the shop has expensive labour and overheads but cheaper parts, while home servicing is the opposite with free time and expensive parts.  It changes how jobs are done, for both.
A couple of times I've been asked, directly or as a hint, to help with someone's maintenance, both times I've offered to show them how to do it themselves and heard no more.

Thank you for sharing this experience. What a great idea putting it into Halfords for a free diagnosis!

I will bear this in mind for future friend bike servicing requests.

The last friend that had me do a service never paid.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Thank you for sharing this experience. What a great idea putting it into Halfords for a free diagnosis!

Yebbut, would you trust a Halfords diagnosis? 

Yes, if it wasn't my bike. I think it's a great alternative to getting involved.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My e-bike was a Halfords purchase and I took it back there recently for a service. Main reason I went to them rather than anywhere else is that it needed a proprietary part replacing but they did a good job. The lad I spoke to in the workshop seemed pretty clued up.

Yeah, obviously there's an element of pot luck in this but I've found that to be the case with LBSs as well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

In my case the person seems to have issues, and I don't want to be involved. As it will comeback on me.

There are already issues as I have a beard...they don't like beards.

From my poke, they were right about the bottom bracket ;)  But that was properly destroyed.  The rider hadn't noticed.  But then neither did I in the 300 meters that I rode.

Noted that the marathon rear tyre was worn and pointed out to the owner that halfords had a sale on and the tyre was £15 and they did nothing.  Says it all really as the halfords is 300m from there flat.  They wanted me to buy tyre and fit it for them.

Yes, if it wasn't my bike. I think it's a great alternative to getting involved.

Yes,especially in my case as they don't know what they want and want others to decide for them.  Or is it accept responsibility.

"Accept Responsibility" implies it is your responsibility... If it isn't your responsibility, you should not feel awkward about not accepting it!