Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332180 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #875 on: 08 May, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »
Some pegs and a heavyish inflatable air bed thing. I am going to try this and see if I prefer to self inflating mat.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #876 on: 10 May, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »
Didn't buy today
Aventura 2 Man Dome Tent with porch
Halfords Mummy Sleeping Bag
Halfords Camping Mat

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #877 on: 11 May, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
Feeling flush today Realised I have one month before my holiday, so have finally bought an Exped Synmat and an Alpkit Skyehigh bag.  Goodness knows I'll be cooking food next.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #878 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »
 My first post , i bought the other day a footprint for my Bob Saunders Spacepacker Plus ,the tent is round so not easy to get . But my local Tesco provided the answer in the form of a childs swimming pool cover just slightly smaller than the fly sheet, ripstop plastic and fairly light all for the price of £8 . Most footprints cost £35 plus . Just got back from a 1000km tour of the West counties doing 2 Audax on the way and it did not let me down . also bought 4 season Thermarest Neoair , excellent in a word , very varied weather and cold at night , another thing i use from Tesco is a car window screen heat deflector to go under the Neoair and when using the Thermarest chair to stop punctures  , works really well and again cheap and very light , cost 47p .

« Reply #879 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »
a useful post :thumbsup:.jack'o newbury. welcome to the forum  :) 
the slower you go the more you see

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #880 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
A Thermarest Z Lite Long. Don't have an immediate use for it, but at £3 in the charity shop window I was walking by I couldn't resist it.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #881 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »
Some meths for the Trangia, in advance of next week's Wee Scottish Camping Jaunt.

And so I stood in the queueue in the ironmongers, listening to the two people ahead of me.  One of who's sister is in a caravan in Scotland at this very moment, and was last heard of admiring the view over Loch Lomond to the snow-clad hills.  And who didn't bother undressing or going to bed t'other night in the gales, in case she had to make a run for it to escape a wind-borne flying caravan.

Still, she had a good laugh when I told her what the meths was for, so at least someone's day is a little brighter.  And I could always just drink it instead.

« Reply #882 on: 17 May, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
a wild woodgas campstove mark 2 t   :) . i had a play in the garden with it this evening . ah woodsmoke  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #883 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »
Went shopping with my daughter for the bits she needs for her expedition. Daysack (Mountain Equipment 40l one) - really well thought out and designed sac with many little features that add up to being really good. Many wee pockets, tie down straps, ice axe loop, pole loops etc.
Lowe women specific 60+10 L backpack. One of the few that will shrink to her back size (xxs). A sleep mat and a rucksack liner. The shop had a special offer on with a free sleeping bag with any rucksack over 99GBP. Rachel spent 99 on the rucksack and we now have a snugpack 2 season sleeping bag in addition. Again it is a very well designed rucksack. We'll have a shakedown trip with that in a few weeks time.

Today we tested the day sack and got some stove practice. Walked over two of the local bumps, stopping for coffee in the old iron age fort on Auchterhouse Hill in the mist.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

I'm a big fan of Trangias, but with the gas conversion and stainless lined pans, not the meths and alu pans. The aluminium cup was not favourably received on taste grounds. She'll pinch my plastic one instead. But the daysack fits perfectly and was no bother at all with a light (5kg) load).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #884 on: 20 May, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »
i bought a wild woodgas stove . real fire and smoke  :thumbsup:

« Reply #885 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:18:29 am »
We will need a thorough review of that Chris with pictures.

Andrew

« Reply #886 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:03:36 am »
A Deuter Trek Lite 250 sleeping bag, £75 from Cotswold Outdoors

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/fr/deuter-trek-lite-250-sleeping-bag-81310085?id_colour=2023

I've been looking for some time now for an affordable replacement for my years old bag, and this suited me about right.

« Reply #887 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:52:22 am »
i will have a play on my welsh trip next week and take my camera  :)

« Reply #888 on: 21 May, 2013, 06:44:29 pm »
Trangia 27 ul with gas and non stick

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #889 on: 27 May, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
i bought a wild woodgas stove . real fire and smoke  :thumbsup:

Me too (and took it to Arisaig for Victoria Day) - it works  :thumbsup:

And from the Edinburgh Bargain Stores on Nicolson/Clerk St, a cheap (£9) stainless steel billy-can/stockpot-shaped (tall) 3-litre-ish pan, big enough to do pasta for 3.

(probably not for use together, though - or at least, not without a trivet)

« Reply #890 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
Bought a stainless Mora to add to the carbon steel one. 'It was like this officer........'

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #891 on: 29 May, 2013, 10:14:22 pm »
Not camping gear per se, but I did pick up the new car so I can go camping with Miss Z the elder this weekend.  It almost qualifies for the "ultra lightweight camping" thread, since there is limited space in an MX-5.  On the other hand, there is a lot more space for bikes in the garage compared to when the old BMW estate was in there  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #892 on: 07 June, 2013, 03:37:08 pm »
Victorinox Workchamp.

I wanted something between my old Victoinox and my Leatherman.  This fits the bill perfectly.

Decent size locking blade, scissors, small pliers and corkscrew of course (plus other usual bits and bobs, just a bit bigger)

It's a real handful of knife rather than a pocket knife like my other one.  I've never minded paying a premium for quality and I think Victorinox are quality items.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #893 on: 07 June, 2013, 08:09:18 pm »
A Trangia. Just a basic one from an army surplus place on EBay. Unissued burner and windbreak thingy and used but good ex Danish army mess tin with handle and billy that fit together well but the assembly doesn't quite fit neatly into the windbreak - but good enough. It was very cheap, it boils water; it is good.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #894 on: 07 June, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »
Good choice, Capt S, you won't regret it.  I think that's quite similar to mine, but I think yours may have more tools.

Locking blade makes a lot of difference for practicality.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #895 on: 08 June, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
From my lcs,one of these

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN33251&product=Trangia%20Trangia%2027/6%20Non%20Stick%20with%20Kettle

& one of these

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN33259&product=Trangia Fuel Bottle 1.0 ltr

As a suprise bonus I've found,in the spares box, a bottle cage that will accommodate the Trangia fuel bottle.This cage is secured via an adjustable clamp to fit various tube diameters so I can use it on any of the bikes in the fleet.

I am a happychappy

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #896 on: 08 June, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »
A Blacks Octane 3, as raved about by others on this forum (e.g. http://www.woollypigs.com/2009/07/blacks-octane-3-tent/) , off eBay for a little under £100. Fingers crossed its as good as advertised.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #897 on: 08 June, 2013, 09:59:34 pm »
Ours was excellent.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #898 on: 08 June, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »
A Blacks Octane 3, as raved about by others on this forum (e.g. http://www.woollypigs.com/2009/07/blacks-octane-3-tent/) , off eBay for a little under £100. Fingers crossed its as good as advertised.

I have that tent!  As in, the actual tent in that review, since I bought it off W&P :D

Sweaty Betty has only had a couple of trips out since she came to live with me.  But they've both been mighty fine trips, and if I can manage to pitch the tent and have it not fall down you know it really is a easy-to-pitch one!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #899 on: 09 June, 2013, 07:15:09 am »
I bought a fire steel, the Light My Fire Army version, and the slightly smaller Scout version for youngest daughter.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx