Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332087 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1350 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:16:40 pm »
A new end pole for my Terra Nova Laser, as one of the had broken on the flight home.

« Reply #1351 on: 12 August, 2017, 05:17:06 am »
A Sea to Summit Comfort Plus inflatable sleeping mat and a Jet Stream Pump Sack to inflate it. The pump sack doubles as a stuff sack for the deflated pad, which is cool. The pad, pump sack and a repair kit weigh about 450 grams/ 1 lb more than my Z-Lite foam pad, but takes up far less space. The smaller pack that I can use as a result will offer some if not all of the weight penalty, and I'm looking forward to a more comfortable night's sleep. I got both items at a heavily discounted price, or I quite likely wouldn't have bought them. I'll be spending 4 days/ 3 nights in the backcountry next week, I'll try to do a review of the pad and my new tent when I get back.

« Reply #1352 on: 28 August, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
2x Klymit Static V Insulated Luxe mats, footprint for the Keron 3, Pillow cases for our Exped AirPillows, Tubus Tara front rack and Tubus Logo Evo for Liz's bike

« Reply #1353 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »
Dead mats seem to be fairly common, by internet account, and I'm sure that sitting half on a pillow and popping the baffles must also be relatively common.
Having done just that (hidden under the sleeping bag), I've replaced the Exped pillow by a Sea to Summit Aeros.
It's a more face friendly material, and seems to have a modicum of insulation inside

« Reply #1354 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:06:51 pm »
I have bought a vango trek tarp . A single pole tarp designed to be pitched with the tent to give living and storage space. I intend also use it in conjunction with my Jupiter bivvi bag . :)
the slower you go the more you see

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1355 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:04:22 am »
I bought a 3x3 DD Tarp and DD Frontline Hammock this weekend. My son was away last week with scouts and came back raving about how great the hammock and tarps were. One of the other leaders had bought all DD's ex Demo/2nds stock so I bought a set before they were handed on to the Scout troop.

I had not bought one before as I own a Wild Country Zephyros 2 and didn't think the tarp and hammock would be that much smaller.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #1356 on: 27 October, 2017, 08:24:59 pm »
Not bought, but aquired, a primus 96 stove (probably 1950s), a gas barbeque and various camping gas stoves an lanterns including a big lamp onna stick.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1357 on: 27 October, 2017, 08:43:28 pm »
Not bought, but aquired, a primus 96 stove (probably 1950s), a gas barbeque and various camping gas stoves an lanterns including a big lamp onna stick.  :D

I set my sleeve on fire with a Primus 96  :thumbsup:     
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1358 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:29:08 am »

I set my sleeve on fire with a Primus 96  :thumbsup:   
Great, you can show me how to work it! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1359 on: 29 October, 2017, 06:46:02 pm »
I bought a 3x3 DD Tarp and DD Frontline Hammock this weekend. My son was away last week with scouts and came back raving about how great the hammock and tarps were. One of the other leaders had bought all DD's ex Demo/2nds stock so I bought a set before they were handed on to the Scout troop.

I had not bought one before as I own a Wild Country Zephyros 2 and didn't think the tarp and hammock would be that much smaller.

The little one and I spent a night in the woods in my DD hammock and Alpkit Tarp. It was cosy but fun for a night. (I would include photos but I'd have to faff about hosting them on Flickr or some such)

In terms of packed size and weight, I wouldn't say that it is that much smaller than the Zephyros 2 but it's a bit different.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1360 on: 01 November, 2017, 09:05:13 am »
Not 'Exactly'  , but after glowing reports about the British Army 'softie' jacket and the reports on 'sizing' I bought one a size smaller than I would have. What an amazing thing for less than £30.I wore it Sat night to an outdoor arts venue and it is sooo  warm,soft and lightweight. Intended to be my campsite  evening kit ( When I get a tent). Comes with a stuffsack as well.  Very pleased.

« Reply #1361 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »
Did you buy your softie jacket on ebay? Can you share the seller please, and info on sizing? Thanks

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1362 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:08:57 pm »
don't think it was a commercial seller,  I paid (bid up to,   ) £25.57 plus £3 postage, most go for around that, make  sure its go a stuff sack.I'm normally xl, but on advice on line I bought large and it was spot on.  Its a sort of mid layer jacket, so no  big jumpers under for me.I literally can not stop wearing it. There are different sorts,the plain softie green/sand, then there  a warmer later one,  then another arctic type one iirc. like  a
 Buffalo smock. this is a normal one,  so cozy.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. As said else where they are usually cleaned, etc,  but you can find NEW for around £38 posted.  Lots of sites if you google,ex-mil sites, all around the same price.

« Reply #1363 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »
Cheers BP  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1364 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:25:21 pm »
forgot to say,  the arms are nicely long, so  is the jacket, but with elastic slider things done up, it sits nicely like a bomber jacket. :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1365 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:48:54 am »
Yep!! ;D  just pulled the trigger on a new coleman Aravis 2 end of season sale jobby, £60 incl p+p :o  Now for the rest of my kit  :facepalm:

« Reply #1366 on: 08 November, 2017, 11:04:30 pm »
My old Black Diamond Storm headlamp died in Holland & I've not been able to get it working again, so a new one arrived today.  Sadly it's probably going back.  I ordered their latest model (350 lumen) which they have on their website & they've sent me the older 250 lumen one.   Still too many damn modes as well!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1367 on: 10 November, 2017, 10:29:37 pm »
just bought a Eurohike 500 down bag (no street cred but good reviews and large ) and silk liner from Millets,  on special with 50% off plus 15% discount, and free delivery, so all in for £66.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1368 on: 10 November, 2017, 10:44:28 pm »
A Maplin branded led camping lantern with usb out for emergency phone charging to boot. Three levels of brightness, SOS flashing mode and it is waterproof, apparently.

I bought it for illuminating the shelter where we plan to eat our chip suppers through the winter with the added bonus of camping and power cut lighting practicality.

« Reply #1369 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:31:14 am »

I bought it for illuminating the shelter where we plan to eat our chip suppers through the winter with the added bonus of camping and power cut lighting practicality.
Am intrigued by the chip supper shelter. It's not camping I take it? A bijou country park palace? A seafront bus shelter?

« Reply #1370 on: 11 November, 2017, 09:16:49 am »
A less than bijou country park palace or bus shelter.  Hmmm, a rather long excursion for a sea front shelter from Rugby.   :D

We try to get out on Wednesday afternoons and we have a number of local chippy destinations for supper.   One is sheer luxury with added lighting and even a Costa nearby should warm drinks be needed but most are partly open bus or park shelters with no lighting. 

« Reply #1371 on: 11 November, 2017, 10:27:16 am »
Thanks for the reply polar bear.enjoy your wednesday feasts

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #1372 on: 11 November, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
just bought Thermarest Prolite  mat, £51.82 free p+p. :o  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1373 on: 04 December, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »
A Soto Amicus gas stove, as a direct swap for the Whisperlite I just sold on here.  These seem to have knocked the Pocket Rocket off the top spot for compact gas stoves, and have an inbuilt piezo igniter.  I got it from Cotswold, who currently give you a cookset for £40, which is £2 over what the stove would normally cost by itself.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1374 on: 05 December, 2017, 01:23:17 am »
A "Whackin' Gurt Fortress" 
Huge and weighs a Hefty few Kilos.
For a Base Camp type do, it should be excellent. Unlikely to carry it for a Moving on tour, simply because of the weight.

Robens Fortress 3.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!