Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331952 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #350 on: 14 July, 2011, 05:52:55 pm »
some nylon tent pegs and a camping washing line…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #351 on: 14 July, 2011, 06:09:29 pm »

Unless your tent pegs are abnormally long, you're going to have to stick to washing very small items of dolly clothing, or it'll all drag on the ground....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #352 on: 14 July, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

Somehow I automatically thought of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Tpe7D0aMWs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Tpe7D0aMWs&rel=1</a>

« Reply #353 on: 14 July, 2011, 07:50:04 pm »

Unless your tent pegs are abnormally long, you're going to have to stick to washing very small items of dolly clothing, or it'll all drag on the ground....
ooh you funny girl arch ;)

the two purchases were unconnected, pegs for the tent and the washing line will go wherever mrs alec thinks is best…

« Reply #354 on: 14 July, 2011, 08:48:17 pm »

ooh you funny girl arch ;)

the two purchases were unconnected, pegs for the tent and the washing line will go wherever mrs alec thinks is best…

I couldn't help it. I just have this hilarious vision of a tiny washing line with tiny washing. The ultimate in lightweight packing...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #355 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »
A flag pole, and a metre long length of sparkly pink polyester.

How is the second related to camping (apart from the obvious)?

When we go to deershed we need a way of reliably finding our tent.  The metre long length of polyester is to make into a banner/flag to atach to the flagpole, which attaches to the groundstake.

Now what do we put on the flag?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #357 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #358 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:31:09 pm »
http://images.wikia.com/borderlands/images/a/a8/Portal-cake.jpg

Surely that belongs on CrinklyLion's panniers?  In ScotchLite.
Couldn't find anything resembling a bowl of chips, so it'll have to be cake instead.

« Reply #359 on: 15 July, 2011, 02:47:33 pm »
A Blacks Solo cookset £10 reduced from £15 in the sale.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #360 on: 15 July, 2011, 07:59:57 pm »
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #361 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:02:49 pm »
Vango self inflating pillow for normal camping use but may have to invest in a Ajungilak one if i end up tight on space for cycle camping.....
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #362 on: 21 July, 2011, 11:45:19 am »
My titanium Jetboil stove has arrived, it is teh sexy  ;D

Now I need to work out which cannister to get for it so I can try it out! it will be coming on the Sem Fed with me next week.

« Reply #363 on: 22 July, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »
a solar light in a storage jar (wifely purchase)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #364 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:20:29 am »
anyone know the largest sized plasma tv that can be hung without ripping the tent fabric? ;)

actually, the glampingest thing i saw in go outdoors yesterday was an outwell tent which had a separate portaloo attachment…

I'm not sure if that is really glamping... it's been a fairly common sight on campsites for some years.

How working class! All the best people shit in the main tent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #365 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

Now I need to work out which cannister to get for it so I can try it out! it will be coming on the Sem Fed with me next week.

I've got one of these!. Nice arent they?   I got two sizes of canister, the little ones (100g)  fit inside the pot  for easy carrying, but would take the bigger canister if going for more than a day or two

« Reply #366 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:39:02 am »

I always buy 100s for mine as one will fit inside the cup attached to the burner.

« Reply #367 on: 24 July, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »

I've got one of these!. Nice arent they?   I got two sizes of canister, the little ones (100g)  fit inside the pot  for easy carrying, but would take the bigger canister if going for more than a day or two

Very nice  :D

I always buy 100s for mine as one will fit inside the cup attached to the burner.

Does any 100g one do or does it have to be any specific type of fuel? I've never owned anything like this before, my calor gas camping stove is mahoosive with 2 burners and a double grill!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #368 on: 24 July, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »
They're all the same butane/propane mix with a standard connector, AFAIK.

PH

« Reply #369 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »
Does any 100g one do or does it have to be any specific type of fuel?
It's a good idea to take your stove with you when you buy, there are differences in size, mostly small but it means some fit better than others.  The Coleman is a good fit in the original Jetboil and has the advantage of being commonly available.  There are also some differences in the gas mixes, I think MSR has the best mix for cold weather, but it's a poor fit in the Jetboil.  For normal weather I haven't noticed any difference between those I've tried.  The main thing is not to burn off all the propane first,  shaking before use, trying and keep it warm, not standing it directly on cold ground or standing it in a little water are all supposed to help.  I've never managed to boil the claimed 12 ltrs of water from a 100g cannister, 8 is more realistic and expect the last two to be slow, that's still a lot better than most gas stoves.  That will do me for 2 - 3 days, any longer and I'll take a 250g MSR cannister and pack something else in the Jetboil.  This is my experience with he standard Jetboil, there may be some differences with your new model.

« Reply #370 on: 27 July, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »

That's been my experience, although I've heard that Camping Gaz blue ones won't work.  I have a few Primus canisters I bought at Snow and Rock, and they are fine.

« Reply #371 on: 27 July, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »

That's been my experience, although I've heard that Camping Gaz blue ones won't work.  I have a few Primus canisters I bought at Snow and Rock, and they are fine.

Camping Gaz sells a blue cartridge that is designed to be pierced by a blade in the device you are using, be it a stove, lantern or whatever. The cartridge is meant to stay on the device until it is completely empty, which can be a nuisance. This was the original Camping Gaz cartridge, it's only used today on the cheapest devices and is no longer very common. The other type of Camping Gaz cartridge is called an "Easy Clic", it can be detached from the device it is fueling before it is completely empty like the MSR cartridges. It does not look like it would interchange with MSR or (European) Coleman cartridges.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #372 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:58:14 am »
The smaller cartridges get very weak when they're half empty; the pressure isn't really regulated.  I use the half-empty ones in a lantern, where the flow rate is very low and they work OK.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #373 on: 28 July, 2011, 07:41:21 am »
Srewfix. propane/butane mix. screw in type work fine

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gogas-butane-propane-mixed-gas-cartridge-350g/58559

« Reply #374 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:20:53 am »
Srewfix. propane/butane mix. screw in type work fine

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gogas-butane-propane-mixed-gas-cartridge-350g/58559

It doesn't look like there's one that will fit into a Jetboil cup attached to (or as well as) the burner unit though.  Do keep up at the back! :-)