Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2485201 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20575 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:50:41 pm »
Rear gear cable snapped about a mile into the ride home which made the next 6 miles of stop/start quite difficult/frustrating. Fixed it when I got home...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20576 on: 29 January, 2019, 05:27:58 pm »
Blizzard!  Very wet snow.  I had a Buff as a balaclava and a Gore-Tex cap, which kept the worst of it off my face.  Hands utterly freezing though, once the gloves were soaked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20577 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:07:42 pm »
Yesterday heading home. Stopped at the traffic lights. W**kpanzer draws up behind me. I set off, going straight on (crossroads). WP accellerates and left hooks me. Fortunately I was reasonably alert so was able to avoid a collision.
Video front and rear. So the local plod are taking an interest, especially as it looks like the shiny 4 year old car has not been kept in the manner to which the govt would like with regard to paying car duty.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #20578 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:14:39 pm »
...... especially as it looks like the shiny 4 year old car has not been kept in the manner to which the govt would like with regard to paying car duty.

Probably nicked!
Advena ego sum in Terra

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20579 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:30:42 pm »
Hopefully the driver will be...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #20580 on: 30 January, 2019, 12:06:22 am »
I laughed loudly during my bike ride on roads near Chelsea Bridge which was backed up due to a road closure. So satisfying to pass so many oversized vehicles to do a 3 mile trip each way. No cycle lanes either so I cannot be blamed for the congestion either.

*painted road lines aren’t “lanes”

ian

« Reply #20581 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:57:07 am »
I laughed loudly during my bike ride on roads near Chelsea Bridge which was backed up due to a road closure. So satisfying to pass so many oversized vehicles to do a 3 mile trip each way. No cycle lanes either so I cannot be blamed for the congestion either.

Sorry, all congestion in London is the fault of bike lanes (and not the number of cars). This is a universal truth. In fact, there was no congestion at all in London before they built them.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20582 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:04:54 am »

Did Tim Hall hear you laughing? https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87845.msg2364671#msg2364671  :)

rogerzilla

« Reply #20583 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:21:20 pm »
Working from home today but tomorrow evening looks apocalyptic.  I'm going to fit the Hakkapeliittas to the Cinder Cone.  I could drive in (winter tyres, front-wheel-drive, easy) but experience suggests that every road out of Swindon will be blocked by muppets crashing within 15 minutes of any snowfall.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #20584 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:32:38 pm »
Working from home today but tomorrow evening looks apocalyptic.  I'm going to fit the Hakkapeliittas to the Cinder Cone.  I could drive in (winter tyres, front-wheel-drive, easy) but experience suggests that every road out of Swindon will be blocked by muppets crashing within 15 minutes of any snowfall.

Especially in the vicinity of The Magic Roundabout.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #20585 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:17:53 am »
Starting a new job next week after having worked from home the last 10months.
I'm kind of looking forward to the commute, its a bit longer than ideal (20km each way) but I can use the canal path.
I'm going to do a trial commute tomorrow morning for timing / dodgy bits / etc.

Cold but enjoyed my first commute this morning.  The canal seems a very good option

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20586 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:27:52 am »
A cow-orker has told me her car registered -9 on the way in. No wonder it felt bloody cold on the bike!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20587 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:15:42 am »
I'm kind of looking forward to the commute, its a bit longer than ideal (20km each way) but I can use the canal path.

Cold but enjoyed my first commute this morning.  The canal seems a very good option

Have you tried the tow-path?  :P

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20588 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:19:04 am »
Another flat today, two industrial staples through the back tyre. Taking off the lobster gloves for the repair meant my fingers weren't feeling anything long before I'd finished. They'd just about come back to life by the time I arrived at work after 30 minutes riding. Three flats this month, two on a worn tyre and one on a new one. Hopefully I get a decent run for the rest of winter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20589 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:11:39 pm »
I’ve been manning our satellite office in Barrow-in-Furness again this week and riding in from my hotel in Ulverston each day.

Day 1, With laptop and files in one panier and boots and clothing the other the bike weighed a ton. I got completely soaked in torrential rain then cocked up the navigation and did an extra 4 miles.  Just about managed to get everything dried out by 1600 and had a pleasant ride back to the hotel.

Day 2, Very, very cold. Lots of ice and snow on the lanes but it wasn’t an unpleasant ride.  Frozen shifter cables made gear changes difficult.  Return ride was good.

Day 3, Even colder, shifter cables frozen again and despite riding on Conti Top Contact Winters I completely lost traction climbing one of the lanes with the rear continuously spinning, walking wasn’t much easier.  I’m finishing here today so will have a full set of paniers again this afternoon, adding to that the stiff headwind that’s forecast I might just bail out onto the train but at least I’ve already done 60 miles that I wouldn’t normally get to ride:)

I’m back here again in 3 weeks and have already booked into the same hotel:)   

« Reply #20590 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:28:46 pm »
Cycling home the other night (pre-snow). narrow b-road with refuges and a nearly 90 deg l/h bend and a driver behind me sounding his horn for daring to be in front of him. I held my position (nowhere else to go) and we get to the mini roundabout where I pull over to the left and allow them to pass. He sounds his horn again and then joins the 1 km long queue which I move up the outside of  ;D bye, bye! We live this dream every day.

« Reply #20591 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:15:52 pm »

Have you tried the tow-path?  :P

:thumbsup:
I probably could have used the canal this morning it was that cold.

« Reply #20592 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:19:23 pm »
I’ve been manning our satellite office in Barrow-in-Furness again this week and riding in from my hotel in Ulverston each day.
... cocked up the navigation and did an extra 4 miles.

Quite impressive cock up to get that much extra in that short a run.

rogerzilla

« Reply #20593 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:04:24 pm »
-6.6°C when I set off this morning.  Snow hasn't come yet but it's noticeably warmer - a balmy 0.4 right now.

« Reply #20594 on: 31 January, 2019, 06:42:54 pm »
... cocked up the navigation and did an extra 4 miles.

Quite impressive cock up to get that much extra in that short a run.

Yes, after making a wrong turn I made an impromptu decision to use the coast road rather than my customary route zigzagging along the quite lanes.  Turns out that the coast road is a 15 mile ride were as my usual route is 11.

« Reply #20595 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:57:31 am »
Crashed. Hit head. Face full of grit. In hospital for observation as have memory loss.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #20596 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:04:52 am »
Crashed. Hit head. Face full of grit. In hospital for observation as have memory loss.

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon

« Reply #20597 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:40:55 am »
Ouch - heal soon, and take care of yourself!

« Reply #20598 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:51:11 am »

Oh no! I hope you heal fast and there is not too much damage.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #20599 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:57:40 am »
My cue to forgo the bike and take the tube.

Hope you're okay!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk