Author Topic: Edge 520 "ready to navigate"?  (Read 3004 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Edge 520 "ready to navigate"?
« on: 06 May, 2017, 04:27:51 pm »
Just took my new Edge 520 out for a play. I planned a 'course' on Garmin Connect and loaded it as instructed. Then successfully managed to get the nice purple line showing me which way I should be going.

However - at the top of the screen the words "ready to navigate" remained for the whole ride.  Is this normal or is there another action I need to take before setting off in order to get rid of this? 

(Also, is it usual for the track to be slightly behind my position?)

At some later date I'm sure I'll be along with more questions - not impressed by the Garmin Manual  ::-)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Edge 520 "ready to navigate"?
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2017, 03:48:30 pm »
Press the start button.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Redlight

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:59:49 am »
Yes, you'd think that, wouldn't you? But no, those three words just sit there, taking up 15% of the screen. 

I select TRAINING from the menu
Then COURSES
Then select my course and wait for it to load
Then press the start button.

The course appears immediately, along with those three words.

I'm perplexed  ???

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »
Before you press the start button, you need to tell it you plan to ride the course.
So Training/Courses/Ride/Yes

(I live in what OSM thinks is a field, so I'm always asked if I want to Navigate to the start of the course. I can't remember what it asks if you're already at/ on the course.)

Then when you start moving you press the start button at the base and get the green triangle, and the instructions.

Redlight

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »
Shall give that a try later on....

(Added later...)

It did work, thank you.  There's still an odd habit of the screen switching to show a clock showing 5pm for no apparent reason, but I imagine that's something I can fix in the settings menu.

Thanks Yoav and Fboab  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2017, 08:11:19 am »
This is useful for me too. Bought my 520 on Thursday, bewildered by three more buttons than on my 500, having to say what kind of ride I'm doing, etc. Used it at the weekend, forgot to press STOP a few times when I stopped (didn't need to with 500), and accidentally reset the timer partway through 600km, but I was able to keep it charged up off the dynamo. Currently use my etrex to plan courses, but I will give the 520 a go, heeding the advice here.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Redlight

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:58:56 pm »
I took mine out again this morning on a route I know well. I did notice that on occasions the turn instruction missed the turn by 20-30 metres. Probably less of a problem in the countryside but worth watching out for when navigating through towns.  And I can't work out what this clock symbol is all about!

I'm riding the BCM this weekend so that will be a full on test ride!  (And, yes, I'm taking a paper copy of the route sheet too)

Edge 520 Hints and Tips
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2017, 02:57:29 pm »
I plan my routes in ridewithgps and that has the option of editing the notifying distance before a turn ?

Are you using a HRM? Maybe the clock symbol is the recovery thingamajig? It tells you (just when you don't care) that your recovery is good [mine always has been, anyway]? How long have your test rides been? I can't find a picture on google but generally after about 15 minutes it tells me my recovery is good with a green clock thingy.

forgot to press STOP a few times when I stopped (didn't need to with 500),
Why do you press stop? I never bother- and on audaxes it's your total time that counts, no?

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
Hi fboab. I like to see what my avg riding speed is every now an again, and it won't be used just for Audaxes. I would use my 500 for DIYs and ECEs because I think Chris and Martin prefer those files, and the etrex for navigation and the calendar event. Tbh, ending up with two files of my 600km outing instead of one is more annoying than a lower avg speed.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »
There will probably be an Auto-pause setting that detects that you have, well, paused.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2017, 05:08:39 pm »
Auto pause is a function of activity profiles on Edge devices - you can have different profiles set up with different auto pause settings, eg an audax profile with no auto pause, giving you a true overall average speed, or auto pause on for other activities where you want to know your moving average.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:19:53 pm »
Thanks both, and apologies for steering this thread off course.

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
Slowly getting to grips with it. Managed to set up a club ride option with auto stop on, and Audax with auto stop off, all without looking at instructions or button diagram. No work today, so joining one of the Wed chain gangs (three to choose from).

Edge 520 Hints and Tips
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:03:25 am »
I've just installed routeCourse from dynamicWatch onto mine- in theory this will allow cable free Course uploads by syncing with my RWGPS account. As I have no intention of taking a laptop on my holibobs, I'm hoping this will mean I can do everything from my phone.