Author Topic: Etrex 30 Maps  (Read 1991 times)

Etrex 30 Maps
« on: 26 May, 2017, 12:01:08 pm »
Hi Panel

On  my Etrex 30 I have;

A tile from openfiets maps for Portsmouth Area

Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap

Digital Globe demo

Are the last 2 needed for any purpose or can I just delete them?

Also when I try to add additional tiles for a France trip the Portsmouth tile will disappear?

Any ideas, guidance please?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Etrex 30 Maps
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »
The Digital Globe demo is pretty useless.  The Basemap is not essential but I wouldn't delete it, it's not taking up much space and it will give you some mapping when you zoom right out, and the GPS does sometimes try to make use of the DEM information.  You can turn the basemap off in the menus if you want, but there's not really any point.

You can add as many other maps as you want and have space for, from any sources that can provide maps in the gmapsupp.img format.  Just  rename the image files, so for example you could have portsmouth.img and france_n.img and france_s.img and india_s.img - and you can have as many as you want turned on in the menus** at one time, though if the tiles overlap it may be unpredictable as what appears on top.  But even that is no problem, for example I often have Metroguide (Garmin's own mapping for UK and Western Europe, now getting a bit old) and a more recent local OSM map both switched on at the same time.  Plus an overlay of contours only, sourced from another place.
Place all map files in the same directory you find the preloaded maps in - or in the equivalent directory on the SD card, which gives you loads of expansion space.

To be honest most people would just download a single big map of UK and western Europe - but there certainly is some merit in maintaining a small 'local' file with the latest updates to local footpaths etc.

** it can get a bit confusing if you have several small tiles all acquired from the same source - although they have different file names and will appear as separate menu entries, in the menu they are quite likely to all be named the same - because the map name is set up by the source software.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »
many thanks Frances have done as you advised re deleting DGlobe and have downloaded the full Europe Openfietsmap set to save faffing around with small map tiles

thanks again

Samuel D

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2017, 02:55:52 pm »
Just out of interest, where did you download the Europe Openfietsmap from? Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2017, 03:38:25 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2017, 05:30:29 am »
[Long been a fan of openfietsmap.

Quick question on diwnloading a big area as opposed to the smaller area you may actually need.

Does this adversely affect the processing speed of the etrex, which can of course be a bit sluggish.

I have the etrex20 -love it - all that would make it better would be a just slightly bigger screen and a faster processor.

Have the feeling that Garmin is more interested in developing/flogging the more expensive models though.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:42:22 pm »
I think having several map files - or several added files in general (ie including gpx files) - does slow down the boot-up process.  But not the running once booted.  And one big file is probably better than 10 small files in this respect.

OSM maps are very overloaded with detail in some localities, and this can slow the display down, the only solution really is to stay zoomed well in so that there are fewer objects to be rendered.  I ride typically at 120m zoom, maybe up to 300m in rural areas and often down to 50m in towns.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll