Linked Events

• The Snow Roads 300K: 28 June, 2008

Author Topic: Snow roads 300k roll call  (Read 23776 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Snow roads 300k roll call
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:12:46 pm »
I'll bring spare beer & whisky in case we run out ;).
:thumbsup:
Mr v, you have just guaranteed yourself a sleeping place in the VIP suite bit of the hall that has a carpet.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:19:35 pm »
Noodley - now that you've done the route half a dozen times this month year, how long does it take you?
16 hours round trip ?
I'm aiming for about 16 hours. 
Aye, be warned: this is not a 12-13 hour ride.
I'd say about 16-17 hours, allowing for decent weather, is about right.

Unless you are a certain clubmate of mine.  ::-) ;)

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:36:19 pm »
Ach, what's all this talk of granny rings and touring cassettes?

Keep it in the big ring all the way round and none o' that cissy freewheeling either  ;)
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:45:38 pm »
Unless you are a certain clubmate of mine.  ::-) ;)

It'll be alright..I'll nobble him.  ;)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:49:25 pm »
Cyclops, i've seen you having to stand up on the flat with your 52-22 lowest gear (not helped with your squeeky cleat) ;-)  However, I do remember watching you disappear into the distance on the dee lech-table.  this could have been do do with gearing or there could have been another reason.

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2008, 12:03:01 am »
..On the plus side, I rode the Dee Lechtable (2ookm 2.25AAA)..

The Lecht climb on the Dee Lechtable was the hard side and the other way is "easier" - apart from all the climbing before hand  ;).  However, the Dee Lectable was not (IMO) a 2.25AAA route - perhaps some checking of altitude is required?

When I first rode the Snow Roads I approached the Lecht climb in the dark so I saw the snow poles and ski station as my guide - it looks much worse in the dark than in reality. I do not want to under-estimate the climb, but it's okay.  On the other hand the road from Dufftown to Tomintoul and the approach road to the Lecht are very sapping..then there are the climbs after the descent from the Lecht.  I know them now, and they are more psychological climbs in that by the time you reach them you have climbed some of the most well-known climbs in the country but these "unknown" climbs almost laugh at you 'cos they are "not known".  

I am looking for a good day out - nobody need worry, if I can ride the route anyone (ok, anyone who has ridden a 200km) can.

y lee g

« Reply #31 on: 08 June, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »
HI Eck.  I'm going to have to give this one a miss due to domestic commitments.  >:(

Hope the event goes well.

G

frere yacker

« Reply #32 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »
Lucky, lucky people.  A cracking ride this one.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #33 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »
HI Eck.  I'm going to have to give this one a miss due to domestic commitments.  >:(
G

:o
B..b..but I've hired the local village hall. It has a stage, with curtains and everything.  ;D

Sorry you won't make it y.
There is a Permanent version you know.  ;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #34 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:22:04 pm »
I shelled out for my ferry ticket yesterday - the (considerably) lighter pocket should help me on the climbs   ;) :-\

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:16:15 pm »
Eck - can you put me down for the snore-athon in the hall on saturday night, please?

WRT gearing - I've done all the hills on 30x26 (~30") lowest gear  :thumbsup: But not all on the same day  :-\

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:37:05 pm »
Eck, I plan to attend the Saturday night cyclist sleep over.  Even though my wife is worried about me meeting strange lycra clad men beside public toilets and attending a Kirrie pyjama party may be too much for her.

« Reply #37 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:53:43 pm »
I know them now, and they are more psychological climbs in that by the time you reach them you have climbed some of the most well-known climbs in the country but these "unknown" climbs almost laugh at you 'cos they are "not known".  

Thanks for that Mr. Rumsfeldt.  I'm glad that many of the unknowns are known on the route.  ;D ;)

Craig

« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »
I've entered this. I could be interested in sleeping in the hall at whatever time I get back, will probably be camping somewhere nearby the night before.

Keep it in the big ring all the way round and none o' that cissy freewheeling either  ;)
What a good idea! 49x20 should do nicely. ;) I think I've done most (all?) of the hills with that gear before (with some use of the 24 inch gear...).

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »
I've entered this. I could be interested in sleeping in the hall at whatever time I get back, will probably be camping somewhere nearby the night before.

What a good idea! 49x20 should do nicely. ;) I think I've done most (all?) of the hills with that gear before (with some use of the 24 inch gear...).

Cheers, Craig, I have your entry. I'm planning to get all the bumph out in a day or two to everyone who has already entered (24 so far), including info on camp sites. Meanwhile, the two I'm suggesting are:
http://www.drumshademuir.com/ and http://www.angus.gov.uk/caravanparks/lochside/default.html

Fixed, eh?  :-X   ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #40 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »
It would be foolish to. Though pootling to various scenic locations with the auto and the camera may be a distinct possibility (Do you need a secret control anywhere scenic?).

..d

David, if you're minded to do a bit of photographic reportage, well that would be great.
We are planning to get over to Banchory to meet the people manning the first control, so may take some foties on Cairn o'Mount. But it would be nice to capture the suffering on some other bits of the route.
We could even keep a bridie for you at the finish if you wanted to look in.

BTW, I still owe you a report on the lights you kindly lent me. Sorry, things are a bit busy just now, but give me a deadline, that way it will get done.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #41 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »
Found my 13-30 cassette, couldn't find the chain to go with it tho' (I think I used it on my fixie) :(

An 11-28 and new chain from spa cycles arrived today  :)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #42 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:31:11 pm »
An 11-28 and new chain from spa cycles arrived today  :)

An 11 sprocket will be good. There are some great descents as well as all those climbs.
Funnily enough, there's as much descending as there is climbing. Fancy that.  ???

« Reply #43 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:34:57 pm »
...there's as much descending as there is climbing.

No there's not.  The climbing lasts much longer than the descending, so there cannot be as much.   ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #44 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:37:48 pm »
It would be foolish to. Though pootling to various scenic locations with the auto and the camera may be a distinct possibility (Do you need a secret control anywhere scenic?).

..d

David, if you're minded to do a bit of photographic reportage, well that would be great.
We are planning to get over to Banchory to meet the people manning the first control, so may take some foties on Cairn o'Mount. But it would be nice to capture the suffering on some other bits of the route.
We could even keep a bridie for you at the finish if you wanted to look in.

BTW, I still owe you a report on the lights you kindly lent me. Sorry, things are a bit busy just now, but give me a deadline, that way it will get done.

I was thinking of taking some pics on the 'known unkowns' between the Lecht and Braemar. Do you have an estimated time of arrival for that? The bridge at the bottom where the minor road turns off is a great spot too. Closer to home, the run down Glen Isla would also be a possibility.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #45 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »
I was thinking of taking some pics on the 'known unkowns' between the Lecht and Braemar. Do you have an estimated time of arrival for that? The bridge at the bottom where the minor road turns off is a great spot too. Closer to home, the run down Glen Isla would also be a possibility.
..d
Hmm, hard to say. The Braemar control is open from 15.28 to 21.48. These "unknown" climbs are between 204k and 220k, so I'd guess the fastest riders might be there in about 9 hours, so about 3pm onwards.

"The bridge at the bottom..."
Do you mean this one?

If so, Gairnshiel, at 214k, with Noodley flying over the crest.  I'm sure you can manage better pix than that. Mind you, I could only work with the raw material available.  ;)
There's a map here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/The-Snow-Roads

If it would help, I can send you a route sheet?

« Reply #46 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:12:02 pm »

...Mind you, I could only work with the raw material available... 

And where are the pics of me bunny hopping from the bridge between the traffic cones, eh?!  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #47 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
So that's what Noodley looks like from the front  :P

« Reply #48 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:26:28 pm »
So that's what Noodley looks like from the front  :P

Aye, if you'd turn round you'd have seen me  ;)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #49 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:01:41 pm »
..d
Hmm, hard to say. The Braemar control is open from 15.28 to 21.48. These "unknown" climbs are between 204k and 220k, so I'd guess the fastest riders might be there in about 9 hours, so about 3pm onwards.

"The bridge at the bottom..."
Do you mean this one?

If so, Gairnshiel, at 214k, with Noodley flying over the crest.  I'm sure you can manage better pix than that. Mind you, I could only work with the raw material available.  ;)
There's a map here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/The-Snow-Roads

If it would help, I can send you a route sheet?

That was the bridge I had in mind. With a bit of planning I might secrete a flash gun behind the branch of the tree or a traffic cone to lift the riders a bit above the light level of the background.

A route sheet would be grand. I'd try to catch the first few at the top of the K-UK, some more at the bridge and then possibly on the long run up the Cairnwell with a stupidly long lens. Should be able to nip past while you are all noshing in Braemar.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes