Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299487 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Now that is an idea - I have a Toshiba NB100 that is painful with XP..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

simonp

Got my github set-up with my new iMac and deleted old public keys lying around.

Now I can push the weights graphing code so I have a copy of the last however many changes online.

Here at work, we've invested in something called Mimecast, I think it manages our email traffic. Amongst other things it does is, once a day, it sends me an email with an inventory of what it has diagnosed as potentially junk email for me to white-list, black-list or otherwise.
I tend to delete the email.

We also have something called Zscaler, (or Zslacker, as I prefer to call it) which amongst other things, monitors the appropriatness of sites I visit. As of a couple of days ago Zslacker has started to put the Mimecast email into my junk mail.

Isn't this how Skynet started?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Here's a plug for software I like enough to plug even with no commission:

Directory Opus - a superior replacement for Windows file Explorer - half price until Dec 26:

www.gpsoft.com.au
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I've only been away from Fort Larrington 24 hours and Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has already b0rked his mouse, or at least have it die on him.  Kensington trackball job bought in March >:(  I have ordered him a slightly more expensive Logitech as it's less likely to be made of cheese ha ha.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Is that the nice Kensington one with the lovely scrollwheel collar?  I've got one of those, courtesy of barakta who found the mouseclick buttons unsuitable for left-handed operation.  I have to do an arcane incantation with xinput every time I boot up in order to emulate the missing middle button (and chording buttons are always a bit hit and miss), but it's wonderful for scrolling.

Barakta, on the other hand, has the Logitech that looks like a crudely drawn vulva.  The labia minora function as additional buttons, but it lacks scrolling capability.  We've recently set up some USB foot pedals to do page up and down, which sort of works.

What's really needed is a mutant hybrid of the two trackballs.

(Don't get me started on sinister meece.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
His was one of the old-skool Kensington trackballs without scrolly-thing.  I've got one of each - the scrolly-thing is great but I keep relinquishing my grip on the right button while selecting Stuffs chiz.  However the Number One Rodent at Larrington Towers is an elderly Microsith thumb-operated trackball thing with five buttons (one of which doubles as a scroll wheel).  When asked about updated drivers Microsith's response was "go buy something newer and less good", which makes them officially Dicks.

Some chancer was offering NOS ones on Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia earlier this year at four hundred and fifty quid a pop.  Nice to have a nest-egg ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Is that the nice Kensington one with the lovely scrollwheel collar?  I've got one of those, courtesy of barakta who found the mouseclick buttons unsuitable for left-handed operation.  I have to do an arcane incantation with xinput every time I boot up in order to emulate the missing middle button (and chording buttons are always a bit hit and miss), but it's wonderful for scrolling.

Barakta, on the other hand, has the Logitech that looks like a crudely drawn vulva.  The labia minora function as additional buttons, but it lacks scrolling capability.  We've recently set up some USB foot pedals to do page up and down, which sort of works.

What's really needed is a mutant hybrid of the two trackballs.

I've got one of the Kensington trackballs. I wonder if a bit of judicious scanning and 3d printing might help..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dez just commented that he had transferred 47GB of data in about 8 minutes and commented "How long would that have taken with Laplink?"

My reply was "About a week's civil service overtime, I should think."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I read a week or so ago about an IRC channel I was going to poke my nose into.

Obviously now I've got around to installing an IRC client, I've clean forgotten what it was...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I could tell you a few that I'm busy idling in, if that helps :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Is there a yacf one hidden somewhere?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Not that I know but we could always set on up on freenode or the like :)

Edit: might try to set up a server on my raspberry just for a laugh.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

cool :) well I'll be in ##yacf in the meantime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

cool :) well I'll be in ##yacf in the meantime

We appear to have made this a thing...

#yacf on irc.freenode.net

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I got it running on my RPI. Server sudomakecake.ddns.net, 6667, #yacf if you are that way inclined :)

Or we could use freenode :)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Woohoo!

I seem to be successfully updating my old TomTom One XL Sat Nav, via the TomTomHome V2 software (windows only!), via Windows XP Virtual Machine running on my puter which runs Linux Mint 17.2, via the magic of VirtualBox!!

Despite my not running windows on any computer since Ubuntu 7.10 came out, I'm glad I kept hold of my Winxp cdrom (plus the win98 cd to verify the winxp upgrade cd)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Couldn't get the Humax to connect to the wifi until I actually typed in the network name rather than picked it from the list of available networks  ???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Our internet connection has taken to dropping out for short periods, usually a minute or less, and always between 17:30 and 18:00, when it'll happen 2 or 3 times. Before that it's fine, ditto after.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

People all getting in from work and firing their computers up maybe?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
REIN causing the DSL to lose sync?  Some noisy appliance nearby that's used regularly at that time of day... go sniffing with a de-tuned AM radio.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
People all getting in from work and firing their computers up maybe?

Shouldn't cause a connection to drop.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Central heating kicking in on the timer and a noisy thermostat?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I did think it had to do with Mrs. T42 knocking off for the evening and closing her machine down.  I don't see that the router should muck about with my connection when hers is freed up, or why it should do it 3 times as it did last night - especially since she left her machine running. She doesn't turn on anything that would create undue interference, either - just a couple of lights that are on & off all day anyway.

We haven't got central heating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I've just been smitten by a sudden urge to hack my old iPod Classic to accommodate a 500 GB SSD.  Will someone please talk me out of this.