Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 296392 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
git bisect - such a useful feature
So many to choose from; so little time.   :)

*sings* I have a little list, they'll none of them be missed...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

simonp

I've been incrementally optimising a function and committing small changes as I go. Now I'm running regressikn tests and have found two issues so far.  bisect to identify the bad change, with debugging changes applied from a stash at each point to speed up the process. Apply fix at HEAD of my branch then interactive rebase to squash the fix into the bad change so it becomes good, and to ensure that if a second bug is found the next bisect doesn't find the first issue. Once all clean, rebase down to a single commit and push.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Logged in to microsft store and now the laptop wants those details to log in now.  How do I change back to the usual log in.

But can it be performed remotely?  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Logged in to microsft store and now the laptop wants those details to log in now.  How do I change back to the usual log in.

Anyone?  Tried the store log out and it is still the same.

Sorted, need to change the user account to local.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user of the 'tinternet. But I'm glad that our ISP ain't capping our usage. Just had a wee chat with support - £10 cheaper and a new router for much less than listed. We clock in at about 250GB a month.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

TheLurker

I think I may have to have a restorative wee nippy sweetie to get over the shock.  Visual Studio Pro. 2017 installed _first_ time _without_ error in under an _hour_ and without the slightest grumble.  I'm still having trouble coming to terms with it.

I was more than half expecting it to be a repeat of VS2015; 3 machines and I can't remember how many attempts (_lots_ and _lots_ and _lots_) to install it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user of the 'tinternet. [...] We clock in at about 250GB a month.

I'd say we were heavy users and only seem to manage about 130GB/month on average...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Just heard today that a average flight in a modern plane. Clocks up about 2Tb of data about the flight.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Mrs T's W7 is taking an age to download updates (~3 hours so far).  It was suffering from "not genuine windows" even tho' it was properly activated, and hadn't updated itself for the last X months. SLMGR -REARM banished the error message but nowt's happening. Beginning to think it needed something other fix, e.g. uninstalling that update, I forget the number.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I'm very happy now, that after about two days of faffing around, I managed to get the compiler to generate a reasonably sized patch!

We need a way to generate binaries from C code, that can be patched with reasonably compact binary patches, since it's not really sensible to have an entire compiler (and bits) on board our instrument on the spacecraft !

I've worked out techniques and methods for generating binary files, where a minimum of the code moves around.  Up until now, I had about 140000 bytes of change, in a 320000 byte binary, which whilst better, was really a bit ridiculous for a few dozen lines of change in the source code.  Getting that Total number of differences down to 1256 bytes is a major "Yay!" for me. :D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Afasoas

Mrs T's W7 is taking an age to download updates (~3 hours so far).  It was suffering from "not genuine windows" even tho' it was properly activated, and hadn't updated itself for the last X months. SLMGR -REARM banished the error message but nowt's happening. Beginning to think it needed something other fix, e.g. uninstalling that update, I forget the number.
Blow it away. Reinstall.

TheLurker

I'm very happy now, that after about two days of faffing around, I managed to get the compiler to generate a reasonably sized patch!
Swap you for a copy of Visual Studio 2017?  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Blow it away. Reinstall.

Better yet, I'm installing Ubuntu, on a USB stick for now until she gets the hang of it.

Though I'd rather be out in my workshop making shavings.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Swap you for a copy of Visual Studio 2017?  :)

Will it compile code for a LEON3 with a SPARCv8 instruction set, running RTEMS ? :D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I'll be doing a major PC upgrade soon (mobo, CPU, RAM, SSD) and it's got me thinking it could be the last one ever.  Will I even want a desktop PC at home in fifteen years time, let alone the whizziest one affordable?  Very possibly not.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I can't imagine not wanting a desktop computer (unless brain implants or something render proper screen/keyboard user interfaces obsolete).  I can imagine a world where they become the domain of hobbyists and niche industries and it's increasingly difficult to obtain one.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Must admit I'm writing less since I'm rarely at a proper keyboard these days.  I'm using a tablet right now.  Oh dear.  Bad.  Or, for those who don't like my shit, good!

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

My holy **** moment in that respect came when I saw a colleague unfold his Macbook, prop up his iPad by the side, instant two monitor system.

ian

I gone the other way. I was obsessed with my tablet-based workflow and then my notions became disabused – too much faffage – instead I swapped my clunky Dell for a svelte Macbook Pro which isn't much heavier and doesn't limit what I can do on the road. As for home, there's something ineffably glorious about working on my 27 inch iMac. Even just typing a document is rather nice, since it's 1:1 on a A4 spread. It makes everything look a lot more awesome than it is.

For mindlessly bimbling the Facebooks though, it's probably overkill.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My holy **** moment in that respect came when I saw a colleague unfold his Macbook, prop up his iPad by the side, instant two monitor system.

I did at one point experiment with configuring xorg on my desktop to VNCify a virtual screen so a tablet (or anything else) could be used this way.  It did actually work, albeit sluggishly (fine for texty things anyway), but the geometry from mismatched screen sizes/resolutions was suboptimal.

Not quite the same thing, but what'd be really nice would be to be able to install Synergy on Android without requiring root.

ian

Oh yeah, I too use often my iPad for a spare screen real estate. It's very cool and astonishingly lag-free despite wifi.

My favourite thing about Macs though is the swishy desktop switching. I had a clunky way of doing it with a desktop manager on Windows, but on a Mac it's awesome and I do the three finger swish between umpteen different desktops (spaces I think they call 'em). There's probably something similar in Win10, but it won't be as awesome. I did it during a product demo today to switch to another browser and I'm pretty sure the swish between desktops is all they'll remember. Open mouths. How did I do that? Awesomeness, that's how. I'll take credit wherever I can get it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Ooobunty - ever imitators of the Mega Global Fruit Co - had a rather pleasing desktop swish feature at one point, which I cunningly mapped to nudging my scrollwheel left and right.  No doubt they changed it 6 months later, along with the rest of the UI, when they decided it wasn't brown enough.  I'm running a desktop environment from 1997 now.  I find it calming.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Misfortunately I lack the desk real estate to do the multiple monitor thing.  Shame, as it could have been handy when bouncing between about ten windows like wot I've been doing for most of the last week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Making the iPad into a pressure sensitive touch screen addition to the desktop is rather fun.

More fun is the CTRL and two finger drag, (if you have enabled it) which zooms the screen.

Scenario 1 - someone is peering at the screen so you zoom in on the bit they are looking at
Scenario 2 - connected to a projector, (doesn't matter where the MBP is as you've got Magic Trackpad and keyboard and mouse - they work!). Doing some training on a complex piece of software you simply zoom into the bits that need zooming. That always impresses.
It is simpler than it looks.