Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 164534 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Readers' Instruments
« Reply #325 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:02:42 am »
How often do you all practice on your instruments?

I try and play most days if I can.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #326 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:16:50 am »

Never, these days. Hands too stiff from hauling wood and motor nerves mildly fucked up from diabetes. Also have a finger that takes off on its own when I hold it straight for too long - the tendon appears to quit its normal location.

Heigh ho.

I used to do a couple of hours a days 'way back when. I didn't call it practice, though, I called it fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #327 on: 01 March, 2020, 09:21:07 am »
Well, I managed to do about an hour's worth of playing yesterday, but I'm not sure I'd call it practice.
Most days I get as far as the door to the music room, stare at the instruments for a bit, then turn round and walk away.
After 48 years the novelty's worn off somewhat.
If I have to learn stuff for any new songs that the band intends to play then I'll do it. Otherwise I often cannot summon up any enthusiasm. This winter has seen a dearth of gigs and it's playing in a band that fires me most.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #328 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
I’m a bit of a fan of Faith guitars

Me too. I bought a 12-string Faith back in 2011 and have been impressed. If you like, have a listen to it on my 57 second YouTube video, here.

Always loved 12-strings.  Mine's a Höfner that I treated myself to 3 years ago before my hands degenerated too much.  Lovely sound playing acoustic and wondrous through an amp.

« Reply #329 on: 01 March, 2020, 11:01:16 am »

Most of them are gathering a thick layer of dust (except the viola). :-[

« Reply #330 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:31:56 pm »
I play in a local orchestra, so I have to practice a lot. With no teacher (double bass teachers
are a rare breed) to iron out my bad habits, I use a couple of books to help with technique.
Very difficult to do that stuff and go over the orchestra's repetoire. Roll on retirement, when
I should have more time to do it all (and the other things I have mind).

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #331 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:44:40 am »
I play in a local orchestra, so I have to practice a lot. With no teacher (double bass teachers are a rare breed)
to iron out my bad habits, I use a couple of books to help with technique. Very difficult to do that stuff and
go over the orchestra's repetoire. Roll on retirement, when I should have more time to do it all (and the other
things I have mind).

I hear you brother. Fitting orchestra practice into my already busy life is difficult. I did have a series of lessons a 2 or 3 years ago which has helped my bowing technique (as has my new bow) but the teacher could only find me a slot during the working day so I had to stop. A big benefit of playing regularly again is that I'm considerably more confident up at the dusty end, plus the general benefit of group support from our section.
Pen Pusher

PaulF

« Reply #332 on: 15 April, 2020, 02:19:57 pm »
So you want to be a rock and roll star
Then listen now to what I say
Just get an electric guitar
Then take some time and learn how to play

I'm probably the only person to buy an electric guitar so that I can play more quietly but I'm often up way before my family and want something that I can play without disturbing the family. Frustratingly I only had time to plug it in and check it worked before joining a conference call.

« Reply #333 on: 15 April, 2020, 03:29:14 pm »

I'm probably the only person to buy an electric guitar so that I can play more quietly

I'm considering buying an electric violin for the same reason (I had one years ago, but it weighed a tonne and was badly set up, so I got rid of it). Mid-floor flat means I don't play my acoustic nearly as often as I should.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #334 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:38:08 am »
Don't play tenor sax then.  I've had people tell me that they can hear me from the far end of the footpath across the field behind my house, and that's at least a 1/4 mile!

I had an audience last week, for my inept, early attempts at In The Mood (I'm much better now...)

« Reply #335 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:12:17 pm »
A while ago, a mate of mine asked me if I could build him a Thunderbird bass. Of course, I said yes. And here is the result:

If you want to look at the all the photos from the build, you can find them either on Facebook

Or if you prefer, I stuck them all on My own site

I am very pleased with the result. It plays really well and sounds suitably mean!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #336 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:27:34 pm »
That's a work of art, Mate.

PaulF

« Reply #337 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:42:07 pm »
Very nice work

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #338 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:53:04 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #339 on: 18 December, 2020, 02:50:12 pm »
Out of interest, how durable is the paint finish / what type of paint do you use?

« Reply #340 on: 18 December, 2020, 04:41:18 pm »
Out of interest, how durable is the paint finish / what type of paint do you use?

It's nitrocellulose - just like what it should be! It will go darker and start to wear off with age. It will take a long while until it looks all old and beaten up like any self respecting rock star's guitar should though!

Modern polyurethane paints are more hard wearing, but they do tend to chip, look a bit plasticky and generally aren't as cool. More expensive modern guitars tend to have a nitro finish for a more authentic vintage look.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #341 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:11:49 pm »

It's nitrocellulose - just like what it should be! It will go darker and start to wear off with age. It will take a long while until it looks all old and beaten up like any self respecting rock star's guitar should though!

Modern polyurethane paints are more hard wearing, but they do tend to chip, look a bit plasticky and generally aren't as cool. More expensive modern guitars tend to have a nitro finish for a more authentic vintage look.

I have just learned that the “Fender Custom Shop” makes a deliberately fucked-up Strat inna-Rory-Gallagher-stylee :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #342 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:15:06 pm »

I have just learned that the “Fender Custom Shop” makes a deliberately fucked-up Strat inna-Rory-Gallagher-stylee :facepalm:

Yeah, relic guitars are very popular these days. I can't stand it myself. If you want a road worn guitar, go ang gig it for 20 odd years!

« Reply #343 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:24:07 pm »
Very nice!  :thumbsup:  Also would have looked stunning natural wood (mahogany?)

I follow a guy on FB called Everson who makes basses when he feels like it. Played one about 6 years ago and it was stunning.

« Reply #344 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:27:04 pm »

Yeah, relic guitars are very popular these days. I can't stand it myself. If you want a road worn guitar, go ang gig it for 20 odd years!
I can relate to that.
Interesting about nitrocell paint - I'd not come across that before.

« Reply #345 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:45:29 pm »
Fun fact - it's illegal to spray nitro in California, so Fender have to ship their custom shop guitars out of state for painting before bringing them back in to finish them off!

« Reply #346 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:48:12 pm »
Fun fact - it's illegal to spray nitro in California, so Fender have to ship their custom shop guitars out of state for painting before bringing them back in to finish them off!
I'm guessing that spraying nitro is up in the realms of spraying 2-pac.

« Reply #347 on: 18 December, 2020, 06:56:47 pm »
2-pac dead, man.

« Reply #348 on: 18 December, 2020, 07:09:37 pm »
Just went through the series on your website. Fascinating to see what is involved and the amount of work (and skill) entailed.

Really superb bobb  :)

PaulF

« Reply #349 on: 19 December, 2020, 06:20:20 am »
Very nice!  :thumbsup:  Also would have looked stunning natural wood (mahogany?)

I follow a guy on FB called Everson who makes basses when he feels like it. Played one about 6 years ago and it was stunning.

Quite partial to mahogany guitars myself. My “charity shop find”