Author Topic: Sensor battery life  (Read 1521 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Sensor battery life
« on: 13 December, 2018, 11:20:01 pm »

On my bike I have 3 wahoo sensors, cadence, speed, and heart rate. According to Wahoo the battery life for all of these sensors is "1 year". I've taken that to mean "1 calendar year of use" rather than 8760 hours of use. Thing is, I don't get anywhere near that. I've changed the battery on all 3 sensors at least once, and I've just changed the speed sensor battery for the 2nd time. The later seems to last exactly 6 calendar months of my usage.

I'm using Duracell CR2032 batteries. Is this on a par with what others get from their sensors? Wish Wahoo would give a life in terms of actual hours of use.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Sensor battery life
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »
Hmm, I seem to have changed the batteries in my Wahoo RPM (accelerometer-based) speed and cadence sensors after *peers at per-bike stats* roughly 4000km/200hours use over 2 calendar years.

My Garmin HRM is on its second battery and strap, after I replaced them both earlier this year.  Hard to estimate the hours of use that's had (I don't wear it for every ride, and occasionally wear it for several hours of not-actually-riding time around a ride), but I bought it at the start of 2013.  It seems to be misreading again, not sure if that's the battery, the cheapo strap failing, compromised waterproofing or I'm just not sweating reliably in the colder weather.

I note that none of these devices are conducive to making precision current measurements while in operation...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Sensor battery life
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2018, 12:24:00 am »
Don’t think I’ve had to change the batteries in my Wahoo cadence or speed sensors in over 2 years, the HRM is rechargeable so every couple of weeks, but that’s more precautionary.