Author Topic: A well worn route  (Read 2472 times)

A well worn route
« on: 14 April, 2008, 09:19:15 pm »
Right at the T junction, waiting for a gap and into the traffic. It’s a gentle rise over the motorway then down then up again to the traffic lights. Often this stretch is a little challenging before I warm up but today I went well. The traffic catches up and queues at the lights. I use the bike lane to get to the advanced stop line. Sheesh it’ cold this morning, I stand well ahead of the line on the flatter part of the road, waiting. Lights change, I clip in turn right, select top gear. Whoosh, pedal like mad to get up to speed. Steer round the bumps and pot holes onto the smooth tarmac. Can’t pedal fast enough, relax. Cross winds make the bike wobble at 70kph, I lean forward to hold the front wheel down, the sun shows itself on my right. Dry road, my eyes water with the cold air. Round the right hand curve at top speed, round the left hander and up the rise, click click 52x15 to the crest then freewheel down to the lights. Traffic is light, it’s early, four vehicles in each queue, no buses or trucks, lights red as always, opposing traffic stopped, click click down the gears, plenty of  time to ride down the middle to the front of the queue… and relax. Left foot on the kerb. Other riders pass by me on the pavement, why ? Vehicles pass by on the ring road, white vans, black cars, lorries, buses and motorbikes and their riders. The opposing vehicles start to move, I stay cool, count to 10 and put my hands on my handlebars, eleven, twelve, red-amber, go, green. Clip in, clip in, clip in, come on hurry up, relax, click, that’s it. Move to the right to avoid the kerb, up to speed. Plenty of room. Mini roundabout, rough road, pick my line carefully. Little traffic. Gentle rise is no trouble today, pedestrian crossing is clear, van from the right has seen me and blocks the other lane until I pass, under the railway and past the bonded warehouse. Over my shoulder I glance, signal, move across for the right hander at the roundabout. Slow down, time my entrance,  round the inside, look over my left shoulder, signal, drift out. Thank heavens that Peugeot sees me. Exit. Over the flyover in to the head wind, brrrr. Roll down to the next roundabout, all clear, sneak round the curve to the left.. Stay close to the gutter, miss the manhole covers, across the zebra crossing. Drift out to the right after a telling glance and signal. Another right hander at another roundabout,  nearly always clear at this time of day,  I get round safely and make my exit. Nearly there I start to relax, just a left hander and a right hander to go, the head wind is cold. Sawmill Street and I am there. At work.

Re: A well worn route
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:03:27 am »
It's strange, I honestly think of mine like this:-

L out of house control, imm 1st L.
R @ T, imm 1st L.
R @ T, imm 1st L.
R @ T.
1st L before TL.
Keep L and SO through barrier.
R @ T, imm 1st L.
SO @ X
R @ T
L @ T and over bridge
R @ 2nd TL
R @ X (Edith Grove)
Bear L
SO all junctions
4th Exit at RAB (Parliament Sq)
L (over Shared Use Pavement) after bridge
SO all junctions (CARE: LEMMINGS!)
L into work control.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:22:13 am »
From my garage ramp.

R out of control, 1st L
R @ T
R @ TL
SO @ TL
1 exit at mini O (SO)
R @ O  (3rd exit)
L @ O (1st exit)
R @ O (3rd exit)
5th L (Water Lane)
6th R into Sawmill Street

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:51:15 am »
Your first work commute since October Martin?

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:26:07 am »
Your first work commute since October Martin?
Not my first, my first was on April 2nd, yesterday was my 6th, today my 7th.