Author Topic: RiceCooker Recommendations?  (Read 841 times)

PerkyGirl

• A big fan of Peanut Butter Clif Bars
RiceCooker Recommendations?
« on: 07 December, 2009, 02:07:43 pm »
Hello Hello Hello,

I want to buy a new rice steamer for GlasgowDave's kitchen as we are both very very very fond of curry (and his rice steamer is just about dead).

Thought I'd post to see if anyone has tried any of the following.....the Tefal 4 in 1, the Tefal Classic Rice Cooker or the Cuisinart Rice Cooker / Steamer?  Or do you have another sort you would recommend?  I liked the idea of being able to steam veggies at the same time (really no excuse for slacking on my 5 a day!)

I am looking for one that allows you to cook a one person serving of rice, as poor Dave is left on his lonesome while I work away during the week.

Any recommendations are very gratefully received!

PerkyGirl

Jakob

Re: RiceCooker Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:14:34 pm »
Depends on what type of rice you cook. Western style rice cookers tends to be aimed at cooking basmati/long grain rice and will struggle to make decent medium/short grain rice.
Tiger is a good Japanese brand if you want medium/short grain, but you'll probably have to go a Japanese/Korean shop to find it. They come in handy 'small family' sizes (2-4 cups of rice).
They charge a premium for them, though. I paid ~100 quid for the one I had in London, but only had to pay ~CAD$100 for the one I bought here