Author Topic: 'found this on a ride today'!  (Read 185004 times)

Re: 'found this on a ride today'!
« Reply #850 on: 06 September, 2022, 09:44:30 pm »
I was out hiking the other week.I could tell it wasn't a well used path. It crossed an A road and in the verge I picked up a pair of Oakley half jackets. They've cleaned up ok. Quite chuffed I was.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #851 on: 07 September, 2022, 03:41:27 am »
Oh, I found a full-length mirror last week.  But it only half counts, because I was on the Brompton on the way to collect a hire car, and cunningly used the car to pick it up[1] on the way back.

[1] For reasons explained by Generation Rent rather than vampirism, we live in a house with no mirrors.  This isn't normally a problem, but barakta would benefit from one for her physioterrorism exercises.

The full-length mirror I bought for little, shortly after moving here is now in the garage gym, for this reason.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #852 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:44:09 pm »
Bonus snek bungee.

IMG_0538_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #853 on: 08 November, 2022, 05:27:31 pm »
IMG_0135 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0136 by mark tilley, on Flickr

YACF   (Yet Another Computerish Find)   Was out riding and schpotted this, a Thinkpad, belonging to >>>>>uk ltd. Opened it up and works ok.  Stuffed in my Carradice, and rode home, by'eck it's 'eavy.  E-mailed the company, messaged back, another message back, text message and duly collected by one very relieved internet service engineer.  O:-)
He said he lost a bag of tools as well, so guess where i'll be heading off to tomorrow.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #854 on: 11 November, 2022, 08:08:20 pm »
IMG_0143 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0144 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0145 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Strange one this. was out riding with a chum, who had been telling his daughter about my ability to schpot things on da ground, wat no one else sees.  Then we stops , so him could test his bloods, (type 1 diabetic with the electro gizmo) , I walks over to a fence and schpots this behind a monument to the Eurostar doing 208mph in 2003. So I has a look , I does, and its a plastic tupperware box, with a weighing scale (luggage type)and loaded with Covid self test kits. I did NOT open the box, but put it back. Hmmmm!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #855 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:14:02 pm »
Funny kind of geocache?

« Reply #856 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:36:20 pm »
Some kind of coach tour / holiday pickup stop where people getting on have to provide a lat flow test before boarding?  Ok, it’s a bit of a reach, I admit.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #857 on: 20 November, 2022, 07:27:05 pm »
Not on a ride but on a walk last Sunday. A Hozelock reel sitting in the car park next to a local park. I've been thinking we could do with such a thing for our hose,  so win win. Handle seems to be missing a part but I'm sure we can bodge a solution
2022-11-20_12-38-57 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #858 on: 08 December, 2022, 06:04:30 pm »
IMG_0169 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0168 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Firstly some sort of zip up case for media signs, purfect for Morris sticks, and the containment of.................

IMG_0171 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Yet Another Coldforged Firteenmill

IMG_0173 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Schafety Schpecs,,  just needed a gentle wash.

IMG_0174 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0176 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Some sort of high tech hilumination. Must go back and look for the rear plug cover, it's very bright, 1200mh, watever that means.

IMG_0181 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Well you see, that were a collection of stuffs what I found recently. We has been lookin' for a trailer @ Blodwyn Towers , for the transportation of 'stuffs'.  Now there will be a bit of cross posting here.......but we finds a trailer, we does, and snips it up for 20 quids.  Thought a wee run out was in order, and to collect bits of firewood that I does find.  I had gone about 2 miles, when i spied some offcuts of fence post, what gets lobbed into said basket (trailer), then I spies this a little further on.  Hmm, turn the whole lot around in the road, quite easy really,  and I has a look... ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-) ::-)

IMG_0182 by mark tilley, on Flickr

OOoooo,a perfectly useable B+D Workmate,  passing chap on foot, was well miffed as I passed him a minute earlier, and he wanted it, and he sniggered thinking Hims not gonna get that home with that!!!!!!, But I dids,    along with a couple of lawn edge trimmers.  Elderly couple moving into a flat.  Lucky I had a Loooong bungee and a toe strap.

IMG_0183 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0184 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Exceedingly well chuffed, 20 quids well schpent.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #859 on: 08 December, 2022, 06:55:32 pm »
Aw, that workmate looks much better than the cheapo shitty modern thing I got from Screwfix or wherever it was, that wobbles.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #860 on: 08 December, 2022, 07:41:19 pm »
Workmates are one of those things where there have been a squillion different models over the years, but most of the parts are common and easily replaced.  I bagged myself a late 80s one (which seems about optimal in terms of sturdiness) with rotten chipboard and some cosmetic rust a while back.  Some cheap softwood (pending a suitable piece of hardwood turning up in a skip) to make a new platform, half a tin of Hammerite and a new set of rubber feet, and job's a goodun.   :thumbsup:

The cheap shitty modern thing with the b0rked clamp mechanism is still in ye shedde, on the basis that Workmates are like multi-meters, and sometimes you need two of them.  The scrappy can have it when we move house.

« Reply #861 on: 08 December, 2022, 07:58:04 pm »
Most of my work mates are common and easily replaced, too.

FYI, Merlin Joinery re-make original jaws https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/merlinjoinery/m.html?item=115506899294&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #862 on: 08 December, 2022, 09:40:40 pm »
Mine isn't a B&D one which doesn't help.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #863 on: 09 December, 2022, 12:57:09 am »
FYI, Merlin Joinery re-make original jaws https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/merlinjoinery/m.html?item=115506899294&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

That's very tempting, though they're sufficiently lovely that I'd be worried that I'd ruin them in the first 5 minutes through overenthusiastic use of clamps, incompetent power tool depth stop adjustment or miscellaneous unplanned combustion.

Of course, once that's over and done with, you soon stop worrying about it.

« Reply #864 on: 09 December, 2022, 02:35:07 pm »

That's very tempting, though they're sufficiently lovely that I'd be worried that I'd ruin them in the first 5 minutes through overenthusiastic use of clamps, incompetent power tool depth stop adjustment or miscellaneous unplanned combustion.

Of course, once that's over and done with, you soon stop worrying about it.

I can recommend them, and yes you soon get over the precious nature deriving from the cost. I've never actually seen ply like that, except obv on the original that is. The machining is precise, and the provider is helpful and knowledgeable about the variants. Getting the old jaws off can be .....fun.

« Reply #865 on: 21 December, 2022, 04:55:29 pm »
Spotted a Stihl pruning saw on the verge.  Was on the MTB and didn't have anything to wrap the blade in before putting it in my backpack.  Leaving the blade sticking out at neck height didn't seem like a good idea even without a national ambulance strike.  Then I remembered the two tiewraps that I have been carrying around for the last ten plus years just waiting for this moment:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #866 on: 22 December, 2022, 02:14:40 pm »
IMG_0201 by mark tilley, on Flickr

A collection of recent finds. First off a toasty beany hat,  but I was a tad suspicious of it's location, so I turns it over with a stick, I does,only to see that someone had used it as an emergency NO.2 cleanerupper. yuk!

IMG_0202 by mark tilley, on Flickr

3 cement garden things, possibly for later retrieval wiv  da Trebus Truck

IMG_0204 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Oh, Hello!   The photo is not turned round, he was caught on a sticky bramble type thing.

IMG_0205 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Rather useful  BSO with nexus gears and hub brakes.

IMG_0207 by mark tilley, on Flickr

A small spark plug socket ,for small plugs.

IMG_0208 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0209 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Very wet and muddy, lucky they are plastic now. The last 2 were found in a lane I often ride past, but never been down, hey ho.

Merry Yuletide all.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #867 on: 22 December, 2022, 02:38:58 pm »
A Gazelle is not a BSO. Somebody will be missing that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #868 on: 22 December, 2022, 07:16:36 pm »
A Gazelle is not a BSO. Somebody will be missing that.

Indeed it is not, just looked it up.......£799.... :o :o

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #869 on: 19 January, 2023, 06:44:25 pm »
IMG_0213 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Ahhhh!!!

IMG_0224 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0225 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0229 by mark tilley, on Flickr

A verry useful strap, soon to come in handy.................

IMG_0231 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0233 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Been foragin for kindlin, schpotted a few roofing battens , what 'ad fallen of the back of a lorry.... Note blue strap.. ;D  WIDE LOAD

IMG_0235 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0236 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Hmmm, had to google this one........https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj2meackdT8AhWPme0KHSpNC3YYABALGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_1iJ7YidaqytmSLxW3Z8aCtSqlesQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwixreCckdT8AhUDWcAKHYS_BYkQ9aACKAB6BAgGEEQ&adurl=

IMG_0230 by mark tilley, on Flickr

I spied this, and walked back to get it.. Its a 4m+ long fibreglass flexi rod,used by the chaps wat has bin replacin thee traffic lights locally, they uses it to pull thee cables thro.  So I thought, i'll haves that,  seeing as how they gone now. Intend to cut it up and make flag poles for da Trebus Truck.

IMG_0211 by mark tilley, on Flickr

13mm of course

IMG_0237 by mark tilley, on FlickrIMG_0238 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Freshly cut schmall loglets, along the canal path, for the retrieval of,by da Trebus Truck.       OOpps put a bit too much in me thinks, by 'eck it were 'eavy.

that'll do for now.  ::-)

« Reply #870 on: 22 January, 2023, 11:44:17 pm »
IMG_0213 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Ahhhh!!!

IMG_0224 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0225 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0229 by mark tilley, on Flickr

A verry useful strap, soon to come in handy.................

IMG_0231 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0233 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Been foragin for kindlin, schpotted a few roofing battens , what 'ad fallen of the back of a lorry.... Note blue strap.. ;D  WIDE LOAD

IMG_0235 by mark tilley, on Flickr
IMG_0236 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Hmmm, had to google this one........https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj2meackdT8AhWPme0KHSpNC3YYABALGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_1iJ7YidaqytmSLxW3Z8aCtSqlesQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwixreCckdT8AhUDWcAKHYS_BYkQ9aACKAB6BAgGEEQ&adurl=

IMG_0230 by mark tilley, on Flickr

I spied this, and walked back to get it.. Its a 4m+ long fibreglass flexi rod,used by the chaps wat has bin replacin thee traffic lights locally, they uses it to pull thee cables thro.  So I thought, i'll haves that,  seeing as how they gone now. Intend to cut it up and make flag poles for da Trebus Truck.

IMG_0211 by mark tilley, on Flickr

13mm of course

IMG_0237 by mark tilley, on FlickrIMG_0238 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Freshly cut schmall loglets, along the canal path, for the retrieval of,by da Trebus Truck.       OOpps put a bit too much in me thinks, by 'eck it were 'eavy.

that'll do for now.  ::-)

So, did you rescue the Dawes?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #871 on: 23 January, 2023, 08:14:50 am »

No, I didn’t, it was quite schmall, I’m guessing 24” wheels, a yoof’s machine, ( google suggests 1998 vintage Giro 300) and I guessed I would have no use for it, and neither would anyone else. Had a double chainset, and a quill stem. It was gone next day.

« Reply #872 on: 23 January, 2023, 10:04:39 am »

No, I didn’t, it was quite schmall, I’m guessing 24” wheels, a yoof’s machine, ( google suggests 1998 vintage Giro 300) and I guessed I would have no use for it, and neither would anyone else. Had a double chainset, and a quill stem. It was gone next day.

Nice to know that someone wanted it - though may be worth checking the auction site!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #873 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:44:58 am »

Nice to know that someone wanted it - though may be worth checking the auction site!

I bet it went in the back of a Transit pickup, nestling comfortably twixt bed frames and radiators.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #874 on: 23 January, 2023, 12:58:37 pm »
The lock wrapped round the top tube at least suggests it might perhaps have been dumped by someone who no longer wanted it rather than a thief who'd stripped the sellable bits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.