Author Topic: Cycling Article in Independent  (Read 2164 times)

Cycling Article in Independent
« on: 19 April, 2009, 10:32:56 am »
The journalist Alice-Azania Jarvis wrote in The Independent on Saturday.  Could this lady represent a project for Charlotte or any of the other seasoned cycle-commuters on yacf?  I've emailed her, telling her about the forum.

Re: Cycling Article in Independent
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:35:54 am »
"Just under a year ago I bought one with the misguided ambition that I too might cycle where Agyness Deyn has cycled, and join London's hordes of smug, environmentally-friendly fashionable pedallers that zip around the Capital at virtually no expense."

She wants to be fashionable yet zip around at virtually no expense?
I don't think she knows much at all.

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:40:54 am »
True, but this is why she probably needs to be taken hand by Charlotte and shown the right way of doing things! ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:43:10 am »
"£100 or so" does not buy a decent bike new, sale or not.  It will buy a bike which goes, but where the components are made of cheese and don't work very well, it dissolves at the first sign of rain and when it goes for its first service it will cost far more than the bike is worth, so she'll be best advised to scrap it.  Landfill, in other words.

She could get a reasonable bike for £100 secondhand, but she'd need expert help.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:48:06 am »
I know, and I wrote that in my email to her.  Said she could get lots of support and advice on here, particularly about acquiring a proper bike, and also mentioned that there are lots of female cycle commuters on here who could help her.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2009, 12:32:54 pm »
  It will buy a bike which goes, but where the components are made of cheese

Mmmm a cheese bike. I wouldn't want the cables to be made of those cheese strings though. Perhaps they could be melted mozzarella.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2009, 02:14:44 pm »
Why don't you email her, Kirst?  She might listen to you.

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
You could use the melted Mozarella as a kind of bungee for stuff on the back rack or in the basket, I suppose!