Author Topic: Decisions on a new frame  (Read 5387 times)

Decisions on a new frame
« on: 17 April, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »
As much as I covet a titanium Enigma Etape, I cannot afford it in this troubled times.  I don't believe the insurance company is going to fork out £1242 to buy one either.
I cannot find any reference to a Thorn Brevet frame and believe they are no longer available.
So, on conversing with Robin Thorn, I have looked at the following:

A Thorn Audax MK3 may be just what I need.  I can't help but enjoy the difference of a pink frame.
It would be ofset nicely with blue Hope fittings and the black mudguards, wheels and a new carbon fork and possibly seat tube.

So, whatdoyareckon?

border-rider

Re: Decisions on a new frame
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2009, 07:35:57 pm »
I'd go for an XACD Ti if I were after a good budget commuter, I must say

Failing that, a second hand 531 tourer/club frame from ebay.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2009, 07:37:33 pm »
I have 2 Audax Mk3s and think they are great bikes for the money.  With carbon forks and light wheels you've got a pretty light, fast and comfortable bike but keep the steel forks and put on more sturdy wheels, you have a stable fast tourer.

One of my MK3s has a Kinesis Racelite 12K fork, just like your sadly demised Monsta Thorn, and it handles really well.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »
another vote (predictably) for an XACD Ti frame. The guy that runs my local bike shop sold his pink Giant bike because of the verbal abuse he got from the chavs in deepest essex.

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:56:50 pm »
The problem with an XACD ti frame for me is how I go about deciding what I want.  I have no idea on goemetry and I would fear of ordering the wrong thing and then being stuck with it.

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:57:44 pm »
cant you just copy the thorn pre-crash?

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »
I had a pink frame before; never got any trouble, and it did look somewhat nice!

Mike's suggestion seems fine re copying your frame.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:02:43 pm »
Copy the frame or just ask them to make a road frame with good clearances.  They have, erm, in house designs they can "base" it on ;)

Or: Blah of this parish had a frame made by them which was a copy(ish) of my Matt Chester.  That'd be a good starting point; make it a bit bigger and add a gear hanger and braze-ons, and you're there

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:05:44 pm »
The guy that runs my local bike shop sold his pink Giant bike because of the verbal abuse he got from the chavs in deepest essex.
One of my bikes is flamboyant magenta. Not pink.  :P
As I rode it on an audax through Darkest Cowdenbeath, a local yoof was heard to observe: "there goes a poof on a f*ing pink bike". I thought about telling him it wasn't pink, but flamboyant magenta. Then I thought again.  ;D

GruB: if not ti, then Dave Yates will build you a good honest steel frame.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »
GruB: if not ti, then Dave Yates will build you a good honest steel frame.

Or a Mercian...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2009, 10:35:11 pm »
The Salsa Casseroll seems a great low cost  frame to build a zippy year-round commuter, as it has old-style sloping dropouts you can even "fix-it".  Clubmate has one as his winter trainer and loves it.  C+ rated it very highly too...
But then, there's the Condor Fratello... Mmmmmm

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »
The Salsa Casseroll seems a great low cost  frame to build a zippy year-round commuter, as it has old-style sloping dropouts you can even "fix-it".

Ghastly colour, though  :sick:

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2009, 11:37:50 pm »
The Salsa Casseroll seems a great low cost  frame to build a zippy year-round commuter, as it has old-style sloping dropouts you can even "fix-it".

Yeah, it's a bit of a drawback, but it also has a Carlton-esque retro-ness  :-\

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2009, 11:43:55 pm »
reminds me very much of Planet X Kaffenback, which is something I'd also suggest as an option for GruB

Planet X UK | Kaffenback

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2009, 12:21:33 am »
I built up an Audax Mk 3 for a friend, and I have to say it was a very nice frame.  Outstanding value for money.  It rode very well too - comfortable but lively.   

« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2009, 10:13:09 am »

It's a lovely colour. Everyone who has seen mine is impressed by the colour.

It is a great frameset as well - very versatile and rides well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 18 April, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »
I'm not keen on the handling of Thorns (excessive fork offset) although a stock racing fork might tame it.

I's also look at the Salsa or the Surly Cross-Check.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 18 April, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »
Aha, but the opportunity to have a custom frame, now that is an opportunity. I must not get my hopes up in case they are dashed.

« Reply #19 on: 18 April, 2009, 01:53:45 pm »
Aha, but the opportunity to have a custom frame, now that is an opportunity. I must not get my hopes up in case they are dashed.

Cusom frames are great provided you know about designing frames. I used to design my frames for years, and was disappointed when I had to ride a Belgian "off the shelf" frame - until I rode it! It suddenly came home to me that a professional frame builder knew more about designing a frame that handled perfectly than I did!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #20 on: 18 April, 2009, 02:02:08 pm »

Purely in the interest of research I e-mailed XACD, their frames are about $450 for a custom Ti Road frame.

« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2009, 02:16:57 pm »
Cusom frames are great provided you know about designing frames. I used to design my frames for years, and was disappointed when I had to ride a Belgian "off the shelf" frame - until I rode it! It suddenly came home to me that a professional frame builder knew more about designing a frame that handled perfectly than I did!
Agreed - but the reason for going to a custom frame builder, preferably face to face, is so that your requirements (dreams?) are tempered by the frame builder's experience.  You can tell him "I want this brazed on stop just here, not in the usual place because in my  experience ---" for example, you might like to route brake cables slightly differently. He will determine angles and tube lengths; he will tell you a very short rear triangle will cause problems with chain line and a 75 degree head does not work for a touring frame. 

Historically road racers would buy off the peg continental frames, but time triallists and especially tourists would go to a frame builder.

« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2009, 02:37:49 pm »
I very nearly bought a Thorn Audax Mk2, the only reason I didn't was because I went on the Dave Yates frame building course and built my own frame!

As an alternative that no-one here has mentioned, how about Kinesis?
TK08 has mudguard clearance
T is the 07 version
Grand Fondo is the one I really fancied though. Mudguard clearance and a very light frame...
kinesis uk 2009 - GRAN FONDO LTD

PH

« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2009, 02:55:04 pm »
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Arvis audax frame has to be a contender.  Available from Byercycles as the Arvis and from several other shops under different names, I think it's the Hewitt Chiltern among others.  Just a little dearer than the Thorn, Reynolds tubing and a far superior finish.  A search of this furum will provide photos and reviews.
If you're thinking of titanium, now might be a good time, I don't think the prices rises have all come through yet.  You don't have to go all out for an Enigma, Fatbirds are doing offers on frame, forks and headsets; September £809 ot Yukon £856.  By the time you've bought steel frame fork and headset it's not really that much dearer... :demon:

« Reply #24 on: 18 April, 2009, 05:31:35 pm »
The Audax Mk3 looks pretty good (and even looks pretty), but to my way of thinking a lot of cash for a pretty ordinary bike. Unless some very particular dimensional requirements can surely do a whole lot better second hand + some careful up-grading.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.