Author Topic: Brompton World Championships  (Read 6287 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Brompton World Championships
« on: 28 September, 2008, 07:43:27 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Brompton World Championships
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2008, 07:38:43 am »
This <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ivgWMDkPTFc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ivgWMDkPTFc&rel=1</a> gives some idea of the silliness of it all, and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZyM-igvqGg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RZyM-igvqGg&rel=1</a> shows it from a rider's perspective. Look out for the strategically placed ambulance after the descent.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2008, 08:20:09 am »
John, did anyone tell you what happened to cause the confusion as to who won?
I thought Roberto Heras won.  He certainly seemed to be way out front when we were watching.  But on the podium, they announced him as the winner, then retracted it and proclaimed someone else the winner.  Possibly due to the chip timing?

rootes

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:18:40 pm »
John, did anyone tell you what happened to cause the confusion as to who won?
I thought Roberto Heras won.  He certainly seemed to be way out front when we were watching.  But on the podium, they announced him as the winner, then retracted it and proclaimed someone else the winner.  Possibly due to the chip timing?

hard to judge who people were doing as they set us off in groups of 100.... I was briefly in the lead! just after the first bridge - heras was also in the same group he cam passed me like I was standing still on a climb

I finished 42nd in the end..

really great fun event

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:31:24 pm »
That's what I guessed it was. I assume that the winner (Alastair Kay, an elite roadracer) started in a much later group and finished after RH, but in a faster time. Heras himself looked rather puzzled when he went up to get his medal, and seemed to be querying something.

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:42:46 pm »
Surely not 'that' Roberto Heras?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:57:54 pm »
Yup
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:21:56 pm »
Ringer!

Shouldn't it be restricted to amateurs?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:39:48 pm »
Yup, that Roberto Heras (seen here weaving his way to the front), and he's served his suspension now.

« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:45:15 pm »
Ringer!

Shouldn't it be restricted to amateurs?

Difficult to see how Brompton racing could do that when the rest of cycle racing is now open.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:55:27 pm »
Because it's supposed to be a laugh?  Isn't this like Usain Bolt turning up at a school sports day and trouncing all the kiddies?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:58:35 pm »
It still is a laugh, isn't it?  I think it would have been hilarious if, say, Chris Hoy had turned up at brooklands and powered an Ephgrave to victory.

Hell, why not?  Yeah, if it was completely dominated by the pros, with support vehicles and soigneurs etc, it'd be a bit off, but I bet Roberto turned up for the craic.
Getting there...

rootes

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:02:07 pm »
it was pretty competitive! but  atleast I beat my best mate by 16secs...

one guy hurled abuse at me after he overtook then slowed down and accused me of slip streaming him! shouting 'get off my F@cking wheel' thought that was bit over the top - but spurred me on to overtake him on the next hill...

def do it next year - ace laff

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2008, 08:40:20 pm »
one guy hurled abuse at me after he overtook then slowed down and accused me of slip streaming him! shouting 'get off my F@cking wheel' thought that was bit over the top - but spurred me on to overtake him on the next hill...

Strange thing to shout in a massed start race.   :-\
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2008, 08:41:58 pm »
Because it's supposed to be a laugh?  Isn't this like Usain Bolt turning up at a school sports day and trouncing all the kiddies?

I appreciate that but the point is there's no longer anywhere to draw a definite line. Even I've been handed a (very) few quid at the end of a race.  :)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:05:40 pm »
it was pretty competitive!

This chap appeared to be putting everything into his final effort

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:56:02 pm »
and these 3 from the Barcelona bike shop Cap Problema made sure no-one was going to steal their team prize

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »
Out of interest, were they nearly all S-types being raced?  What was the most common gear configuration (1,2,3 or 6-speed)?

There are a worrying number of -X options in the photos; £440 to save less than a pound in weight seemed excessive to me!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:56:17 am »
Results are now available here. The winning margin in the men's category was 3 seconds.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:21:13 am »

Who decides what it's supposed to be? It is an idea dreamt up by the Spaniards, and they certainly seemed to take it seriously. It's more like the London marathon - Olympic athletes take part and win, but Joe Soap also enters, dresses up and has a good laugh.

As for Bobby Heras, he's now retired from professional racing and according to one Spanish website I read, he uses his Brompton every day, so why shouldn't he take part?

By the way, there's a lovely photo on the Cycling Weekly website of the confusion on the podium - Heras and others checking the results in the background while Alastair kay chats with the Duke of Marlborough.

« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:40:31 am »

[...] but Joe Soap also enters, dresses up and has a good laugh.

Note: And reduces the number of entries for club athletes in the process.

It sounded fun these championships although a bit more serious than I thought it'd be I have to say! I assume one has to wear a tie and jacket  ??? to take part?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #21 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:38:23 am »

It sounded fun these championships although a bit more serious than I thought it'd be I have to say! I assume one has to wear a tie and jacket  ??? to take part?

and a collar, and no lycra shorts or leggings allowed. Any footwear is permitted.

« Reply #22 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:17:35 am »
Really!? Why? (I always wear lycra, even on my folder... Well, nearly always.)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rootes

« Reply #23 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:20:14 pm »
Out of interest, were they nearly all S-types being raced?  What was the most common gear configuration (1,2,3 or 6-speed)?

There are a worrying number of -X options in the photos; £440 to save less than a pound in weight seemed excessive to me!

I was on 2 speed as was my mate - lots were, but found that you span out on the downhills where the 3 and 6 speed guys were still pedalling...

not everyone took it seriously - one chap did the race with his wire haired JRT in a box on the back!

rootes

« Reply #24 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:24:18 pm »

though less when done via C2W scheme...