Author Topic: 24/09/11 Chris Negus Memorial Rides from Henham, Essex  (Read 13176 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
24/09/11 Chris Negus Memorial Rides from Henham, Essex
« on: 23 August, 2011, 07:42:56 am »
Shaftesbury CC are running a load of rides (200 / 160 / 100 / 50) on Saturday 24th Sept. from Henham. I'm thinking about doing the 200 and am curious about the route; does anyone have any idea where it goes?

Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: 24/09/11 Chris Negus Memorial Rides from Henham, Essex
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:06:22 am »
Sorry I will miss you Adam, I will be in the pyrenees otherwise I'd definately be in as this is only just down the road from me.

Shaftesbury CC are running a load of rides (200 / 160 / 100 / 50) on Saturday 24th Sept. from Henham. I'm thinking about doing the 200 and am curious about the route; does anyone have any idea where it goes?

Ta.

« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:48:31 am »
I rode the 200km in 2009. It believe it was called Golden Tints that year. The 200 consisted of two loops, returning to the Shaftesbury CC bungalow at halfway. First loop went east around Braintree and the second loop went south down to the Redbridge Cycle Centre, Ilford.

I'm planning on riding again this year.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
Emily and I will be pootling round the 200 on the tandem.  Don't know the exact route yet: sbseven's version sounds plausible, but at least some versions in the past have had a loop to the west (to Chishill or there abouts).  Will have to see what the routesheet brings us this year!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Billy Weir

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »
Are these rides what used to be called "Up the Uts"?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:30:46 pm »
Are these rides what used to be called "Up the Uts"?

"Up the Uts" is one of the spring events (usually mid-March).

Billy Weir

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:38:52 pm »
Ah, in which case I may permit myself as it doesn't fall foul of my self-imposed rule of not doing any events in 2010/11 that I've previously ridden.

My question came from the the Uts previously (2007 was probably when I did it) being run in late September/early October (organised by Richard Parrotte).

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »
Ah, in which case I may permit myself as it doesn't fall foul of my self-imposed rule of not doing any events in 2010/11 that I've previously ridden.

My question came from the the Uts previously (2007 was probably when I did it) being run in late September/early October (organised by Richard Parrotte).

Are you sure you aren't getting it mixed up with the Shaftesbury Spring <distance> rides, which are the ones I associate with Richard Parrotte?  Up the Uts is organized by Terry Anderson of Comrades CC.  (There are quite a lot of 'uts rides -- three different clubs seem to do regular spring events, usually on consecutive weekends).

Billy Weir

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
*rummages through stack of musty cards*

2006: Golden Tints.  So I guess my question should have been "is the route the Golden Tints that used to be run out of Henham in October".

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »
Yes, this seems to be the direct equivalent of previous years' Golden Tints events.  As to whether the route's the same, we'll probably have to wait until the routesheets start arriving.  It sounds like the route may have changed over the years...

(But why not say that the name change is sufficient for technical compliance with your rules  :thumbsup:).

« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
Chris S and I are in.
S'Essex, Innit.

Incidentally, who is/was Chris Negus and have I just demonstrated appalling ignorance?

red marley

« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »
Googling suggests he was a longtime Shaftesbury CC member who was killed on the road in 2008. See this thread for some sketchy details. There also appears to be a fund in his name to support young riders.

This ride does replace the the Golden Tints one. Richard has previously talked about changing the route for this year, but I've no idea by how much. I'll be there as it is usually a lovely time/place to be riding the bike.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 04 September, 2011, 03:20:01 pm »
I've sent off my entry for the 200 too and will await the routesheet to find out what really waits.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #13 on: 04 September, 2011, 07:57:42 pm »
Googling suggests he was a longtime Shaftesbury CC member who was killed on the road in 2008. See this thread for some sketchy details. There also appears to be a fund in his name to support young riders.

It would appear that the late Mr Negus enjoyed an aggresive approach to racing. Excellent. I will attempt to channel this on the ride.

Raaaarrrrr.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #14 on: 04 September, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »
It would appear that the late Mr Negus enjoyed an aggresive approach to racing. Excellent. I will attempt to channel this on the ride.

Challenge accepted.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »
The route sheet has arrived. Mike says to email him for a .gpx of the route, which I will do and then upload it and post a link for others to grab. Hopefully saving Mike having to response to quite so many emails.

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »
The route sheet has arrived. Mike says to email him for a .gpx of the route, which I will do and then upload it and post a link for others to grab. Hopefully saving Mike having to response to quite so many emails.
That'll be handy - I've already done my own gps track from the route sheet, but it will be nice to see if I've got it exactly right  ;)

This is my first audax for years (the 161). Looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
Does anyone know what Mike's attitude to slightly late entries is? It seems that I will be in that neck of the woods on that weekend  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2011, 05:38:54 pm »
In the letter with the routesheet Mike says that EOLs are fine so long as he hasn't reached his maximum of 75 people per ride, so just give him a call / email to check.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2011, 05:47:07 pm »
Don't forget to take a pen. Eight infos  :o

Did you get a gpx yet Adam?

« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

I will be diligently ignoring all infos, if there's that many...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2011, 05:56:12 pm »

Eight?! Bloomin' heck.

Did you get a gpx yet Adam?

Still waiting......

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »
In the letter with the routesheet Mike says that EOLs are fine so long as he hasn't reached his maximum of 75 people per ride, so just give him a call / email to check.

I'm als arriving late to this one so have flipped Mike an email to ask if I can still enter.  Eight infos might be a challenge as I usually carry them around in my head and write them all in at the finish!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »
I've taken to voice recording infos into my phone as i ride. I don't carry a pen  ;D

« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:50:09 pm »
I've taken to voice recording infos into my phone as i ride. I don't carry a pen  ;D

That's very clever.
Until you do a ride in Wales and the answer is in that funny language that they use over there. "Welsh," I think it is. ???