Author Topic: [LEL17] Sights for the tourists?  (Read 2436 times)

[LEL17] Sights for the tourists?
« on: 19 July, 2017, 02:31:59 am »
As I recall there was a similar thread back in 2013 of "things to look for along the ride"

Unfortunately, the rider previously known as DD42 won't be in attendance.  On my mental list were a collection of odds and ends:

The three-cornered bridge in Crowland
The Humber Bridge (rather hard to not see that)
Castle Howard
The Killburn Horse, on the hillside south of Thirsk
The "James Herriot" veterinary office in Thirsk, having read most of those books twice
Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh, not that I read the books in which it featured, but just because
Cambridge

Other suggestions?

Re: Sights for the tourists?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2017, 03:50:50 am »
Lifted from a similar FB thread...link for the various World Heritage sites in GB:..part of the route will be quite close to a few of them
http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/gb

The original FB thread:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/392520757598601?feed_ufi=comments#!/groups/search/?groupID=392520757598601&query=unesco&ref=content_filter&tsid=0.04750834294598749&source=typeahead

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:17:55 am »
The Whorlton bridge, 1 mile south of the Barnard Castle control,
The Tibetan shrine in Eskdalemuir,
The white barn on Yad Moss,
The "golf ball" on that same climb (actually not a golf ball but a radar station),
The phone booth in the middle of nowhere in Scotland,

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:49:31 am »
Barnard Castle in, well, Barnard Castle. Only passed going southbound though, bypassed on the northern leg.

Bowes Museum, right next to the control is very beautiful too, even if you don't have time to stop to see the mechanical swan.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:38:03 am »
The three-cornered bridge in Crowland

...and the lack of river thereof. And Croyland Abbey - the oldest bells in England - the first peal broadcast on the BBC in 1925; rang in the Millenium on the Beeb too.

Also St Ives Bridge over the Ouse, with its pilgrim's chapel in the middle.

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:12:28 am »
Barton Truck Stop World Heritage Site.

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:01:51 am »
The white barn on Yad Moss,

As you go up Teesdale (ie  north from Barnard Castle to Yad Moss) ,there are many barns and farm houses painted white.
The majority of them are or were owned by the Raby Castle estate, the home of Lord Barnard.

The local legend is that the one of his ancestors was touring the area and got lost in misty, wet weather.
He knocked on the door of the first farm that he found and demanded that as he was their landlord, the occupants would be well minded to put him up for the night , feed his horse and him.
Unfortunately for his lordship, the farm was not one of his and the farmer told him where to go.
When he got back to Raby Castle , he ordered his land agent to instruct all their tenants to whitewash the buildings ,so that such an error could never happen again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-420000-516000/page/16

You might see a steam train on Tuesday-http://www.south-tynedale-railway.org.uk/
If it's warm, don't miss the ice cream shop on the main street at Innerleithen. Just a few hundred yards off route.

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:56:10 am »
Thin pickings on the southern section, but:

In Cambridge, just after you've taken your standard tourist pics outside King's College Chapel, don't miss the time eater clock on the left on the corner of a Bene't Street.

About 25 km after Cambridge, Audley End country house on the left.

About 15 km before the end there's a random hump backed bridge for Blake Hall station, a former London Underground station in the middle of nowhere serving absolutely nothing.

Barely a sight, but northbound about 75 km in there's a tiny marker post on the left where we cross the Greenwich Meridian. I'm surprised we only do this once, despite most of the southern section being very close to the line. I don't know if there's an equivalent marker on the busway on the southbound leg - if there were it would be a the road crossing (of "Over Road", of all places) just before the Swavesey bus stop.

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2017, 11:05:26 am »
Barton Truck Stop World Heritage Site.

Did we pass near there in 2013? I googled for images of the thing, and it doesn't look like anything I remember!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
Barely a sight, but northbound about 75 km in there's a tiny marker post on the left where we cross the Greenwich Meridian. I'm surprised we only do this once, despite most of the southern section being very close to the line. I don't know if there's an equivalent marker on the busway on the southbound leg - if there were it would be a the road crossing (of "Over Road", of all places) just before the Swavesey bus stop.

I have a feeling there are quite a few Millenium Markers along the route, but I think you're referring to the Meridian Trail marker between the Eversdens.

There's also Cambridge University's travelling radio telescopes on the RHS after climbing over Chapel Hill after Barrington.  That's where "pulsars" were discovered back in the day from a shed that's still there, although a bit worse-for-wear these days.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...