Author Topic: [LEL17] Thank You Riders  (Read 2223 times)

[LEL17] Thank You Riders
« on: 09 August, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
Whilst there is a 'Thank You Volunteers' thread it has to be said it works both ways.

Stuck mainly in the kitchen, most of my rider interaction was limited to trying to interpret Japanese request with zero-Japanese and shocked "you call that pasta" looks from Italian riders.

That said, a regular flow of departing riders did stick their heads into the kitchen to say thanks and I can say it was deeply appreciated and helped keep us going. So if that was any of you forumites, cheers.

ps. and those riders who then returned as volunteers -  absolutely above and beyond -your sainthoods are assured.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Thank You Riders
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2017, 02:43:45 pm »
Well said, that volunteer!

Several riders have commented how it gave them a boost to see a friendly or familiar face at a control.  That definitely works both ways!

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2017, 09:59:35 am »
Well said, that volunteer!

Several riders have commented how it gave them a boost to see a friendly or familiar face at a control.  That definitely works both ways!

Yours being one of them, CL. :)

A tricky balance for me, because I felt so much admiration and camaraderie for the volunteers that I didn't want to pull myself away, but I knew they were there to help me get around, so I had to go if I was to do their sacrifices justice, which put me in their debt, raising the admiration stakes, and triggering another go round :)

In the end, I loved everyone I could and rode away from everyone I could bear to part with.

Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

CrinklyLion

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:28:54 am »
During one stint stamping cards I'd just seen a couple of familiar faces arrive, which made me very cheerful, and said to them "I'm supposed to be going off from here soon, but I have to wait 'til Mr Spooner gets here because I really want to stamp his card!" then looked up and who should I see?

Made my day, that did :D

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2017, 12:17:26 pm »
During one stint stamping cards I'd just seen a couple of familiar faces arrive, which made me very cheerful, and said to them "I'm supposed to be going off from here soon, but I have to wait 'til Mr Spooner gets here because I really want to stamp his card!" then looked up and who should I see?

Made my day, that did :D

While I appreciate the personal card-stamping service, I do think that shoulder-charging a fellow volunteer (Sylvie) out of the way so you could personally serve me my pasta was going a little too far. 

;)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

CrinklyLion

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
Are you casting nasturtiums upon my character?