Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80541 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #100 on: 09 July, 2011, 01:18:05 pm »
Anybody else notice that David Millar is almost invisible despite being very high up in the GC all week?  

Consequence of riding to keep Thor in yellow, innit? Good to see. Imagine he might gain one or two more places today - will probably overtake Thor, I expect.

I'm anticipating Cadel being in yellow tonight though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

gonzo

« Reply #101 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
Oooo, It looked like G made it into the lead group for the finish while Gresink dropped back. That boy might just come good in a big way yet. I'll bet he's more than 4 points in the fantasy TdF next year though!

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #102 on: 09 July, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
The thing I keep thinking is Contador playing mind games or is he just not as "beefed " upthis year in case he gets tested for bovril contamination .As an aside I do like the Movistar jersey and have had to use a lot of willpower when hovering over the buy it button. ::-)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #103 on: 09 July, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »
It's a three week race - Contador won't be interested in yellow yet, just not losing time against <whoever>, and not crashing out.

citoyen

« Reply #104 on: 09 July, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »
Oh, he was interested today all right. He's definitely not as turbocharged on the climbs as in previous years...

I'm reserving judgment until after stage 12 to Luz-Ardiden, but Cadel definitely looks like the favourite now.

d.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #105 on: 09 July, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »
He's definitely lacking a bit of his usual firepower, Shleck cruised up to him very easily at the end of todays stage.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #106 on: 09 July, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »
Contador's definitely not got the gumption, though he's talking a good game.  The long climbs might see it come back, but I'm not betting on it.

Meanwhile, big up the big Viking.  Holding onto the lead bunch was a great job of work on his part.

And yay for the plucky hero break all the way!  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #107 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:22:12 pm »
It's a very big shame that Wiggins is out. I was really looking forwards to watching how he went in the mountains. I reckon he had a good chance of getting on the podium. On the other hand, I'd like to see how Geriant Thomas gets on. I guess that Team Sky will try and get him the white jersey back and see how far they can get him up the GC, which might make him a stronger team mate for Wiggins next year.

Not sure about Contador yet. I agree that he doesn't look too good at the momoent, but wonder if the last few stages were better for the more powerfull classic riders rather than good climbers. He seems to have had a bit of bad luck too. Maybe this is Schleck's year? I won't write off Contador until I've seen him in the big mountains going head to head with Schleck.

Good to see a good side to Cavendish too. He's not really a bad guy, just a bad loser, which I guess is what makes him such a good winner. I hope he gets more stage wins and a green jersey in Paris.

« Reply #108 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »
What struck me most today was the terrible riding style of Cyril Gautier (Fra) Team Europcar.  He was throwing his bike all over the road and he was only riding in a straight line !!  Compared to everyone else he was a mess.

citoyen

« Reply #109 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:15:04 pm »
Not sure about Contador yet. I agree that he doesn't look too good at the momoent, but wonder if the last few stages were better for the more powerfull classic riders rather than good climbers.

I'm sure there's an element of that. He needs a long, steady climb to do the damage to his rivals, and we've only had short, steep hills so far. And of course he showed great form in the Giro. But I do wonder if the Giro has sapped his strength a bit. I also wonder if the numerous falls he's had so far have left him a bit tender. He looked very heavy-legged today.

Cadel appears to be on top form - he only attacked at the finish today in a bid to get the couple of seconds he needed for yellow, rather than to distance himself from Contador et al, but he's looked very comfortable on the hills we've seen so far.

Still, you're right - it would be insane to write Contador off until we've seen how he performs in the proper hills.

d.

fuzzy

« Reply #110 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »
My first chance to post since yesterday afternoon.

Gutted for Bradley- he was looking very strong this year and a podium spot was well on the cards.

I think the UCI should insist all riders get morphine or whatever it was that Braders was on before they are allowed to give an interview ;D

Great result for Cav.

Shocking video of Horner :o All the danger signs there. He was in the sort of condition where I would have dragged a fight victim to hospital.

As for today. Thor Hushovd is turning in some awesome performances to stay in yellow. His training regime has obviously changed and it shows.

« Reply #111 on: 10 July, 2011, 12:42:13 pm »
Wiggins last couple of tweets

"Being operated on Monday morning to put plate in. My 2 dogs are also having there balls chopped off Wednesday morning"

and later

"Hoping my drugs don't confuse me and end up at the wrong appointment"

;D

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #112 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »

I think the UCI should insist all riders get morphine or whatever it was that Braders was on before they are allowed to give an interview ;D

Wasn't it a gem - It's only a bike race"
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #113 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »

Big crash again :Vino ended in the woods and is out, so is Van Den Broeck.  :(

gonzo

« Reply #114 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »
Are there any contenders other than the schlecks and Evans that haven't been involved in any of the crashes?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #115 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:26:48 pm »

Big crash again :Vino ended in the woods and is out, so is Van Den Broeck.  :(

Why do these things always happen in the ad break?

Vino looked like he'd wrapped himself round the tree, I wouldn't be surprised if he's broken his leg.

citoyen

« Reply #116 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »
Zabriskie's out as well.

Think you're right, Rhys - seemed to be Vino's leg that was bothering him.

d.

« Reply #117 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:45:04 pm »
Garmin are not having a good day - In addition to Zabriskie, Millar was involved (but is back on his bike) and Vande Velde may have abandoned..

From here

California Dreaming

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #118 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »
I am a doctor, but not a medical one - Vino's just been confirmed as broken his femur.

citoyen

« Reply #119 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
Femur and pelvis. Ouch ouch ouch!!!

d.

citoyen

« Reply #120 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »
Did he fall or was ge pushed?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GwviTmZZSlk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GwviTmZZSlk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #121 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:55:18 pm »
Femur and pelvis. Ouch ouch ouch!!!

d.

That'll be his last pro ride

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #122 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
Flecha has been run over by a TV car, sending Hoogerland flying over a fence. Flecha is back on the bike though, bloodied and torn.

« Reply #123 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
 :o

The French TV car just took out the lead riders in the breakaway. Clumsy sod. Looked pretty bad for the two who were taken out.

Edit: Rhys beat me to it.

« Reply #124 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:00:47 pm »
Flecha has been run over by a TV car, sending Hoogerland flying over a fence. Flecha is back on the bike though, bloodied and torn.

That was absolutely outrageous!!!!