Author Topic: "I/O device error" with SD card  (Read 3568 times)

"I/O device error" with SD card
« on: 27 January, 2009, 06:58:13 pm »
Hi all

I wanted to edit a few work related photos just now. I normally remove the 16 GB SD HC card from the camera and use the card reader built in to the PC. This has worked fine in the past.

This time I had difficulties - I could not access the card via My Computer or by any other means and indeed it froze up my PC requiring a restart. No clue as to the problem. I then replaced the card in the camera, connected in via USB and got the photos off that way. I then formatted the card in the camera and took a few shots to try it again. Same thing, without the total seize up, but some information this time: "I/O device error".

How do I diagnose and resolve this? Is it some kind of physical failure of the card reader, or a Windoze or driver issue?

Thanks for any info.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Re: "I/O device error" with SD card
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »
USB Cable error?

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2009, 07:01:34 pm »
Nope: the problem occurs when the card is in the inbuilt card reader.

I have right clicked on the drive concerned, properties, and it says the device is working properly. I have not gone down the Windows "troubleshoot" option therein, for I know this to be shite.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »
Nope: the problem occurs when the card is in the inbuilt card reader.

I have right clicked on the drive concerned, properties, and it says the device is working properly. I have not gone down the Windows "troubleshoot" option therein, for I know this to be shite.

use another SDHC card. If it works, itwas the first card. If not it could be both cards and/or the reader/computer that are borked.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
Done. Different card works properly (or at least, a microSD in an adapter works properly, I don't have any other normal SD cards). So, not the computer then. Initially I was wondering if it was to do with the SD HC card type or its capacity, but this card has worked on this PC before.

Edit:

Arse. Sorry chaps / chapesses: totally forgot that I need an adapter for SDHC, at least for this PC :-[ as I was reminded when I found said item.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:11:34 pm »
Just try and copy more than 2 GB of data to an SDHC card in the slot and see it it works.

To my surprise, my DELL computer slots seem to work fine with SDHC cards.  One (laptop) is about 1.5 years old, the other (desktop) is more than 2.5 years old.  They're both running Windows XP with SP3 - which I think has something to do with it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●