Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121442 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #125 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:06:21 pm »
Nipped over to the local DIY hole for some work gloves I need and came back with the gloves, a selection of bolts, nuts, washers and wing-nuts, then added one of those el cheapo angle grinders because, as somebody put it, at 12€90 why not plus a bunch of discs and a bill for 57€. Oh, missus went to and got some dog treats. Bloody expensive, dog treats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #126 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:27:10 am »
Re the el cheapo angle grinder: it works but (a) the return spring in the switch is so strong that it slides the untextured body out of my hand unless I pull back against it with the side handle, (b) it makes a racket to wake the dead and (c) the odour of ozone is impressive.  That may diminish as the brushes wear in.

I reckon this'll mostly serve to push me towards buying a decent one.

« Reply #127 on: 27 May, 2019, 11:52:58 am »
Yes similar experience here. I have a big Makita angle grinder and a Powerline or some such cheapo little one. The Powerline is on borrowed time until it gets replaced by a Makita. Small decent angle grinders aren't that expensive. I replaced my old cheap 1/3 sheet sander with a Makita one last week, big improvement especially in noise levels and vibration !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #128 on: 27 May, 2019, 12:15:33 pm »
Mine was mostly a lock for the stable of a bolted horse: some of the piping we had to get through last Friday were hard to get at with a hacksaw. This one'll do for the next water-heater, in 15 years or so if I'm still around.

« Reply #129 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:39:42 pm »
Yep. I have a tool problem. I have work tools. Upstairs tools. Downstairs tools. Shed 1 tools. Shed 2 tools. Oh and the garage.
Stropping rocks

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #130 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:01:12 am »
Yep. I have a tool problem. I have work tools. Upstairs tools. Downstairs tools. Shed 1 tools. Shed 2 tools. Oh and the garage.

Crikey. I have workshop & house tools and a basic rule that if a workshop tool goes into the house then it goes back to the shop before the day's out.  The converse does not apply.

Meanwhile, anyone here got a plunge/track saw?  They look to be incredibly useful.

« Reply #131 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
A real one or a hankering for one?

With a decent skill saw along with sufficient clamps to create a guide it's hard to justify the cost or storage space. If I was doing it as a day job, it'd be a slam dunk.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #132 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:04:36 am »
Before buying a track saw its worth having a look at the tracks available.

There are two issues.  Some tracks are usable by other brands of saw. Festool, Makita and I believe Evolution can run on each others tracks.
So with care you can buy cheaper tracks for your saw.

The cheapest saws Aldi/Lidl, Screwfix etc often come with very short tracks. So if your plan is to rip full size sheets you may need to join four sections of track.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #133 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:22:13 pm »
I just learned that parallel action pliers are a thing and bought some because they look like they'll come in useful.

Wishing this had happened before I upgraded the potentiometers on my bench power supply (which involved a great deal of failing to hold M3 nuts and pinching my skin with with long-nose pliers while I did up the screw from the other side of the panel), but there you go...

« Reply #134 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:37:30 pm »
I just learned that parallel action pliers are a thing and bought some because they look like they'll come in useful.

Wishing this had happened before I upgraded the potentiometers on my bench power supply (which involved a great deal of failing to hold M3 nuts and pinching my skin with with long-nose pliers while I did up the screw from the other side of the panel), but there you go...
Most of them look quite cheap and nasty, but I think you'd be struggling produce something giving you parallel action from a conventional forged tool.

As far as parallel jaws go, this delightful tool  is a V.E.G. (Very expensive godsend)

I bought from Tourettes Tools in Fulham around 20 years ago.
Smooth jaws (so no marky), parallel action, can be locked off a la Mole Grips.
A delight to use - but I think they were something like 45 squid  :o

Great for universal spannering, with little risk of trashing the fastener.

They're currently my tool-of-choice for crimping cable end crimps.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #135 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:50:17 pm »
They seem to mostly be a jewellery thing, which makes sense.  It's small stuff where they're likely to be more useful anyway.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #136 on: 10 June, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »
A real one or a hankering for one?

With a decent skill saw along with sufficient clamps to create a guide it's hard to justify the cost or storage space. If I was doing it as a day job, it'd be a slam dunk.

Used to do the portable circular saw/clamp/lath bit before I got a decent table saw. Nowadays I just have a small table saw with a crappy fence. Track saw looks more precise.

Before buying a track saw its worth having a look at the tracks available.

There are two issues.  Some tracks are usable by other brands of saw. Festool, Makita and I believe Evolution can run on each others tracks.
So with care you can buy cheaper tracks for your saw.

The cheapest saws Aldi/Lidl, Screwfix etc often come with very short tracks. So if your plan is to rip full size sheets you may need to join four sections of track.

Yeah. I've been following Peter Millard's track-saw videos on YT where he compares various el cheapos with Festool. I don't reckon I'd ever need more than 2x70cm tracks. Aldi/Lidl saws are apparently rebadged Sheppach kit & Scheppach tracks are available separately, which is the other consideration with el cheapos.

« Reply #137 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:32:07 am »
Most of them look quite cheap and nasty, but I think you'd be struggling produce something giving you parallel action from a conventional forged tool.

Knipex pliers wrenches come in a variety of sizes and are really high quality. Not cheap though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KNIPEX-pliers-wrench-chrome-plated-plastic-coated/dp/B000X4KP1C

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #138 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:00:55 am »
Yup. I have a pair of Knipex C-clip spreaders and they're very nicely made. When El Prez did our water heater last month he had a complete Knipex electrician's tool bag - his retirement present.

Facom are pretty good too.

« Reply #139 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:51:16 am »

Knipex pliers wrenches come in a variety of sizes and are really high quality. Not cheap though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KNIPEX-pliers-wrench-chrome-plated-plastic-coated/dp/B000X4KP1C

They're 'ver nice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #140 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:37:50 pm »
I have nothing bad to say about their wire cutters, particularly the Super Knips series.

I should probably get some of their wire strippers, but my preferred technique is to use really cheap ones with the locknut removed, so I can strip different diameters by feel.  Doing it properly would seem like faff.

« Reply #141 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:02:11 pm »
I note with some disappointment that Lindstrom no longer produce their pliers / cutters with a box joint - A thing of beauty in itself.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #142 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:51:39 pm »
I have nothing bad to say about their wire cutters, particularly the Super Knips series.

I should probably get some of their wire strippers, but my preferred technique is to use really cheap ones with the locknut removed, so I can strip different diameters by feel.  Doing it properly would seem like faff.

I have one of these things:

Nice enough to use and not much to get wrong unless you put the wire in the wrong notch.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #143 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »

I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOOMT/jobsworth-outdoor-multi-tool
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #144 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:57:36 pm »

I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOOMT/jobsworth-outdoor-multi-tool
You're right. You don't need it.
The more you make use of the hammer and the axe, the less your wire cutters will cut wire.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #145 on: 18 June, 2019, 08:14:35 am »
I'm currently angling for a nail gun on the strength of needing to panel the hall where the dogs rub against it.  Strategy is (a) get nail gun (b) proclaim current air compressor inadequate (c) get new compressor (d) inflate dogs.

Part (a) duly accomplished: Rapid PB131 and a 7-metre air line.  Impressed: it bangs a 5 cm nail through 4.4 cm of pine as if it were hollow.  Compressor restarts after only 15 shots, though - noisy. Plan (b) duly initiated.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #146 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »
Be sure to post pictures if things progress as far as (d).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #147 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:32:20 pm »
Cervantes would give us to believe that it is easier than writing a book...

« Reply #148 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:49:05 pm »
Had a good score at a car boot sale on Sunday. Stanley Yankee spiral screwdriver in really nice condition. These are great tools but the choice of bits is limited and they are never with the screwdriver.
You can buy an adaptor that lets them use modern hex bits but is either cheap Chinesium or expensive and German.  This one came complete with a German adaptor and all the whole thing was only £4 !

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #149 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:58:58 pm »
Those used to be the bee's knees in the Sixties.  I still have mine, and I inherited the Inlaw Paw's, which is enormous.  I never much liked them because you had to press like buggery and if you slipped off the screw the bit cut into the workpiece with your thrust and that of the spring combined.