Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253091 times)

border-rider

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #825 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:22:05 am »
Yes, I must say that being a bloke I need the target-driven stuff, and being weak-willed I need the public declaration, to keep me on track.  My ulterior motive for doing the graphs...  ;)

Early days yet through Geoff. 

« Reply #826 on: 19 January, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »
Thanks for the graphs,  Pointed out that I am the only one gaining weight.  :-[ :-[ :-[

I real kick I T A  which is what I need if I am not to follow last years example.

Thank you very much

Geoff
Not just you! I am too :-[.

I haven't set a target, I don't want to be much lower and if I set a target too low, I demoralise myself and give up, but if it's too high, I stop and gain weight ::-). I thought I'd just keep track and see how it goes :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

border-rider

« Reply #827 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »
No target is no problem, it just means you don't show on the third graph.

« Reply #828 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:12:39 pm »
*digs around in ACF archives*

Here's some motivation, here's my weight reports for 2007. I'd seen 94kg (albeit fully clothed) on the scales in December 2006.

January__ February__ March_____ April_____ May_______ June_______
3rd: 89.67th: 89.07th: 87.44th: 86.02nd: away6th: 83.6
10th: 90.014th: 88.614th: 86.411th: 85.29th: 84.913th: 83.0
17th: 90.021st: 88.621st: 85.618th: 84.516th: 83.220th: 83.5
24th: 89.628th: 87.928th: 85.625th: away23rd: 82.829th: 82.6
31st: 89.3                  30th: away          
July_____ August____ September__ October__ November__ December__
4th: 80.81st: 80.15th: 79.03rd: 76.87th: 77.05th: 78.3
11th: 80.78th: 79.112th: 78.810th: 77.014th: 77.012th: 78.3
18th: 80.515th: 80.019th: 77.917th: 76.721st: 78.019th: 78.3
25th: 79.822nd: 78.526th: 77.324th: 77.028th: 77.326th: 79.0
     29th: 78.6      31st: 77.0            
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Graph ?
« Reply #829 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:25:45 pm »
Weight loss graphs

plz to add me to graph. I  will pm big numbers after tomorrow's weigh-in.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #830 on: 19 January, 2010, 06:54:03 pm »
Yes, I must say that being a bloke I need the target-driven stuff, and being weak-willed I need the public declaration, to keep me on track.

I too need strong motivation to overcome the "spirit is willing:flesh is weak syndrome" but my skin is too thick & my shoulders slope too much for even public humiliation to have an effect ::-)

« Reply #831 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:43:53 am »
Small step in the right direction this week.  114.2  =  .4kg lost.   :thumbsup:

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #832 on: 20 January, 2010, 08:08:29 am »
2kg in two weeks.

I'm back down to where I started last year now.  :facepalm:

« Reply #833 on: 20 January, 2010, 08:32:01 am »
My motivation for joining in with this originally was to stop replacing clothes because the trousers were too tight. I'm doing well on the no replacements. Today I'm wearing a suit. It doesn't happen often, so they don't wear out. I've now got to the happy point where a 32" waist is just a little neat and means a generous lunch is out, while the 34" waist trousers feel just a little loose and a generous lunch is a good idea.  ::-)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #834 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:15:57 am »
Bah!  >:(

Today was supposed to be my first weigh-in day of the year.  Cycled in, got to the  new gym* and asked where the scales were located.  "Over there, by the machines."  Grrr.  At the moment I'm only using the gym for shower & kit storage facilities.  With the scales out in the public area I have the choice of weighing myself in my cycling kit, in my work clothes, or bringing in an extra t-shirt & shorts for the short trip.  I don't think they'd take too kindly to me wandering through the gym in just a towel — I know I wouldn't.

I guess this is even more incentive to start using some of their other facilities.

*switched gym locations due to a recent office move.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #835 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:37:56 am »
I'm inexplicably up this week.  I know I ate a fair bit at the weekend, but I am also riding a lot.  Maybe I shouldn't have had the pickled egg ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #836 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
I thought I'd be down, as I'm riding.
I'm not.

Then I remembered All That Food. O yeah.

border-rider

« Reply #837 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:45:58 am »
I'm inexplicably up this week.  I know I ate a fair bit at the weekend, but I am also riding a lot.  Maybe I shouldn't have had the pickled egg ;D

That combined with your very low target change means that I've had to let your line go off the top of the third graph this week.  Otherwise the rest of us just end up in the same place on the origin ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #838 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:48:52 am »
Off the chart?  Hell, that's bad ;D

No problem - and hey, thanks for picking up the data. :)
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #839 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:54:26 am »
I thought I'd be down, as I'm riding.
I'm not.

Then I remembered All That Food. O yeah.

I've found it hard in the past to loose much weight when riding, except on real epics like a hard LEL - and even then my weight bounces back afterwards to more than it was before.  Usually I stay much the same.  I reckon that, post-ride, the desire to eat anything within arm's reach undoes the good work.

As you say, controlling the input is what makes the difference. 

You may also be converting some fat to muscle...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #840 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:01:23 am »

That combined with your very low target change means that I've had to let your line go off the top of the third graph this week.  Otherwise the rest of us just end up in the same place on the origin ;)

Graph?  *digs around a bit*  Oh!  This could be interesting.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #841 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:10:30 am »
I've rather gone off the idea of graphs this week - can't think why ;D

EDIT: Which target are you using, MV?  I've put three in.  Perhaps if you select a different one, that might work better... :)
Getting there...

« Reply #842 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:40:18 pm »
2kg in two weeks.

I'm back down to where I started last year now.  :facepalm:
I'd like to get down to where I finished last year.
Where I started would be real progress!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

border-rider

« Reply #843 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:41:30 pm »
I've rather gone off the idea of graphs this week - can't think why ;D

EDIT: Which target are you using, MV?  I've put three in.  Perhaps if you select a different one, that might work better... :)

Your first...that's how I've done all of them.  Once you pass that I'll shift to the others ;)

edit: I've changed to target 2 for Clarion to keep him on the graph...

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #844 on: 21 January, 2010, 10:17:58 am »
Bollocky bollock bollocks (pardon My French)

Did 90km on Sunday and then collapsed with a cold so  this week has consisted of watching old movies from the sofa, reading YACF, and comfort eating. Back to where I was two weeks ago.

poo, bum, winkle
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #845 on: 26 January, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »
Three days off focus and 0.5kg gained.  Disappointed with myself.  What do I need to watch out for?  Eating after a big bike ride - you think you have calories in the bank and go and spoil it on the Sunday.  Also had a birthday in the house which meant going out more than usual and people baking lovely cakes.  Third, have wavered on my Livestrong discipline, not completing it or finding shortcuts.

I'll forgive myself the blip since I'm ahead of schedule.  But I have decided that from right now I'm going to be back on track: doing Livestrong is the key for me.

border-rider

« Reply #846 on: 26 January, 2010, 07:11:35 pm »
Eating after a big bike ride - you think you have calories in the bank and go and spoil it on the Sunday.

Yep.  Stuffing your face with cake and Ginsters is OK to get round a long event, and you usually eat at the end to help recovery, but I always make the same mistake and let my increased appetite off its leash next day.  If you've done the face-stuffing on the day the calories in the weight-loss bank are fewer than you imagine...

gordon taylor

« Reply #847 on: 26 January, 2010, 07:21:55 pm »

Anyone else on weight-loss pills?

I said I'd keep you up-to-date with my experience of Alli weight loss pills...

So far so good. After an eight pound loss in week one, the loss has settled down at about 1.5 lb a week. (12.5 lb so far). I feel great, eat sensibly and haven't had any poo related "accidents" from eating too much.

So. IMHO, they work... but (of course) they work because I'm dieting and have substantially changed my eating habits. If you need a gimmick, or an incentive, I can recommend them.

If you have willpower, you won't need them.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #848 on: 26 January, 2010, 10:47:39 pm »

Anyone else on weight-loss pills?

I said I'd keep you up-to-date with my experience of Alli weight loss pills...

So far so good. After an eight pound loss in week one, the loss has settled down at about 1.5 lb a week. (12.5 lb so far). I feel great, eat sensibly and haven't had any poo related "accidents" from eating too much.

So. IMHO, they work... but (of course) they work because I'm dieting and have substantially changed my eating habits. If you need a gimmick, or an incentive, I can recommend them.

If you have willpower, you won't need them.

Heh, thinking "If I eat this I'm going to soil myself" is certainly a pretty good incentive.  ;D

« Reply #849 on: 26 January, 2010, 10:58:50 pm »
Heh, thinking "If I eat this I'm going to soil myself" is certainly a pretty good incentive.  ;D

I've thought that so many times about petrol station food whilst on an audax.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."