Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252169 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #775 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:09:23 pm »
Last weight posted for the year. I actually posted the same weight twice in December. 12 KG lost over the year. I'm happy with that :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #776 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:10:53 pm »
So are we going to have a chart for the new year?

kevinp

« Reply #777 on: 31 December, 2009, 08:34:07 am »
In the two weeks that I have had off work for christmas I have managed to put on 6.5 lb taking me to 13.11 or 87.5kg, I am very disappointed, but with lack of cycling due to the weather and lots of food over Christmas I suppose its not surprising.
I had planned to get to my goal weight by christmas which is 13 stone or 82kg I now plan to be at this weight by the end of Jan.
Do any of you follow the  weight watchers plan ?

.calm

« Reply #778 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
I was wondering that. Is there anyone in charge round here, or should I just copy last years initial post, edit the dates and start it myself?

border-rider

« Reply #779 on: 01 January, 2010, 12:00:25 pm »
I just did it.

« Reply #780 on: 01 January, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »
Once upon a time, in a previous life, I let myself get to 17 stone. I am 5'3", so that was size 22 clothes.
Thanks to the patented heartbreak-and-fags diet (not really recommended for either mental or physical health) I shrunk myself back to more normal proportions. I lost 11 stone of husband and close to half of me.
Over the last 3 years it's crept up from time to time, so I periodically go on a sensible eating mission and get it back a bit. This year I want to return to the weight I was 5 years ago, which is that magic number, x. I'd also like to do this without either heartbreak, or cigarettes. (Please).
I eat an enormous amount of food and maintain the same weight despite a fairly hefty cake habit, so losing weight is not usually that difficult, once I get into the swing of it (again  ::-))

border-rider

« Reply #781 on: 01 January, 2010, 02:17:49 pm »

I might get round to a chart in a week or two if ICBA :)

I'm in this year as I need to get fit for the 1000 in July, which involves losing most of the weight I've put on in the last 3 years or so.  No easy task.

« Reply #782 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »
Thank you :)

« Reply #783 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »
I am back in again this year.

Putting on many kg last year did not help the self esteem, and little cycling was very despiriting.

3 kg down on 1/1/09  so I have a flying start.  Now need to get on the bike more and eat less.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #784 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:30:58 pm »

I used to follow the old points system for a bit, it was usefull.  But I believe that it has changed since then, (synic mode on) Just a way of getting more money out of the punters (sysnic mode off).  If you have a cream cake then you do not have much else for the day.  Plenty of fruit and veg though.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

simonp

« Reply #785 on: 03 January, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »
In the month since my fitness test and I was told to shift some fat my waist has gone from 87cm to 80cm. That's almost 3 inches off.  Good job I didn't buy some new trews in December.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #786 on: 03 January, 2010, 02:47:11 pm »
I thought I'd demonstrate my yo-yoing weight this year. Currently at 105kg - would like to get down to 90 or below. I manage it most years but fail to keep it there. No fancy diet involved - I just eat less.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #787 on: 04 January, 2010, 06:00:30 am »

I have found weight watchers a very useful program.  It is sensible and doesn't go for the quick fix.  By encouraging exercise and identifying what is a "normal" portion size it helps to get the basics right. 

Like any other approach though it doesn't work if you don't follow it ( ;) )  This is why I'm back on ww as of last week.

I don't like going to meetings though, although I know many find them good in terms of being accountable.  I follow the program  on line which provides all the program material as well as tools for tracking weight, exercise, eating etc.

You can get a good snapshot of the program on their website weightwatchers.co.uk
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

kevinp

« Reply #788 on: 04 January, 2010, 07:53:09 am »
Hi Sandy, I have been on the weight watchers plan for about 14 months now, and you are correct it only works if you follow it. I was hoping to hit my goal weight by christmas but didn't make it so I have now set it for the end of January.
I use the online stuff but I also go to meetings as I find they encourage me to track better, and there are other people who are or have been in the same situation I was in, 23 stone !! :)

« Reply #789 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:07:14 am »
Hi Sandy, I have been on the weight watchers plan for about 14 months now, and you are correct it only works if you follow it. I was hoping to hit my goal weight by christmas but didn't make it so I have now set it for the end of January.
I use the online stuff but I also go to meetings as I find they encourage me to track better, and there are other people who are or have been in the same situation I was in, 23 stone !! :)

Wow - I just looked at your blog - extraordinary effort!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #790 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:14:57 am »
I used to manage an Obesity Management Service for a PCT.  Weightwatchers was the only group we would work with.  Not sure of the evidence-base, but there's a wealth of anecdote, and the dietitians were happy with the methods.
Getting there...

« Reply #791 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »
My wife and I used WW 'at home' a few years ago.
I managed to go from 17 stone to 11.5 stone in about six months and kept it off for several years.
I'm now back up to 13.5.
We restarted the programme with a vengeance today.

I shall be adding my entry to the Weight Loss thread shortly

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #792 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »

Wow - I just looked at your blog - extraordinary effort!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Serious respect mate!  Love the before and after photo at the end.
S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

kevinp

« Reply #793 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »
Thanks very much :) Five and a half stone in six months is very good going I would say...well done !

The last three weeks have been the hardest for me what with christmas and this seriously crap weather. I did try the old exercise bike but one hour on that feels like 10 hours.  I stared back pointing quite hard last week but I do find it hard in the cold as the body seems to crave food.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #794 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:06:08 am »
I started this year's weight loss weighing less than I'd feared, making my first target that of losing 600g ;D

Still, that means I have already made inroads into the Christmas excesses...
Getting there...

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #795 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
Wasn't a good December for me as I  was busy, off the bike and eating far too much comfort food. Being asked out  every evening between Christmas and New Year, and with little or no resistance to cramming food in my gob when I see it meant I went up from about 97kg  to an obese 104.4kg on Jan 2nd.

I'm now on MyPlate and eating lots of wholemeal toast.  I'm not displeased to be 99.8kg this morning and plan to hit 85kg by late Spring
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #796 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
Beginning the year with a lower weight than anytime last year is good, but I fear it is probably an aberration. Still it's good whilst it lasts :thumbsup:.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #797 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:08:03 pm »
but I fear it is probably an abberation.

Is that one of those euphemism things? We call it "having a monster crap" here in  sarf lunnon
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #798 on: 06 January, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
but I fear it is probably an aberration.

Is that one of those euphemism things? We call it "having a monster crap" here in  sarf lunnon
It was the absence of one of those that made it an aberration ;D.

[edit - I don't have a spell checker  :-X ]

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #799 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »
I rescued the scales from redundancy yesterday & was amazed to see that despite eating for England for 3 weeks I have gained only !kg :smug: