Author Topic: Hamburg. What to do ?  (Read 3101 times)

Re: Hamburg. What to do ?
« Reply #25 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:13:21 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:07:54 am »
Outstanding, looks like you had a bit more time there than we did - our trip to Vienna was rather ruined by flight cancellations (our tour operators used Lufthansa but it was subcontracted to BMI - oops)
 - I am still a bit surprised we actually managed to get there at all - but when we did manage to arrive we were sleep deprived in a way I've only experienced on an Audax.  We did manage a full day at the Schonbrunn Palace though - that was pretty cool.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:11:18 am »
I saw a sign saying "weapons forbidden"

I remember seeing similar signs there, and noting that the weapons in the pictures are the same ones you see at UK Border Posts as being banned from the country...

The size of the port and it being just there impressed and amazed me; between Hamburgh and Rotterdam the vast majority of imports to and exports from Europe go through there, many of the wee sea going ships are heading for Immingham and other UK ports...

Your comments on Sportsball just reminded me - when I was there in December, a friend of my brother-in-law was desperately keen to talk to me in broken English (sadly my German is almost non-existent) about Kevin Keegan of all people!  After a WTF moment, I recalled from the dim-distant past that Keegan actually signed for Hamburg FC about 40 odd years ago.  Very random!

I had a few football related WTF moments in Sweden and Norway as I was wearing a fleece that mentioned Dundee on it, which automatically made people want to talk to me about the 1987 UEFA cup final, Jim McLean and Scottish footballs descent in to rubbishness in general.
The area around St Pauli's ground was deserted when I was there though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:29:21 am »
I'm seeing heavy, serious architecture made by solid, wealthy, industrious people. It says "sombre northern protestants showing their respectability". (Or is that just the photographer?  :jurek: ;) )

Do people associate me with "respectability'?   :jurek:      I really hope not!
Nah, just solid!  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #29 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:45:57 am »
Your comments on Sportsball just reminded me - when I was there in December, a friend of my brother-in-law was desperately keen to talk to me in broken English (sadly my German is almost non-existent) about Kevin Keegan of all people!  After a WTF moment, I recalled from the dim-distant past that Keegan actually signed for Hamburg FC about 40 odd years ago.  Very random!

I was living in Germany when Kevin Keegan signed for Hamburg. One of his first games for HSV in 1977-78 was the in the European Super Cup against Liverpool. Liverpool won 6-0 at Anfield, memorable (if for nothing else) for the headline in Bild, quoting KK: "Liverpool made mincemeat (Hackfleisch) out of Hamburgers."
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur