Author Topic: Christmas pud sales nosedive  (Read 4663 times)

Christmas pud sales nosedive
« on: 07 January, 2020, 11:49:53 am »
C'mon then admit it. Who does not like Christmas pudding? Sales are down 16% year on year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Christmas pud sales nosedive
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2020, 12:40:39 pm »
We love it!

But we didn't buy one, we still had one from two year ago.

There's some left in the fridge. I might just go fry it now...
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:03:42 pm »
I haven't stopped buying it so much as never started. Well, I did one year, I think it might have been 2003.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:21:38 pm »
David doesn't like Christmas pudding much so I didn't buy any, intending either to make a low-cal fruit dessert or home-made syrup sponge but he went out on Christmas Eve and brought back two reduced 'Taste the Difference' puds from Sainsbury's.

We shared each one, serving one with custard and one with ice cream, on different days.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:55:04 pm »
I am a big fan of Christmas pudding. It's the dried-fruit bliss-neutronium of the dessert universe. Served submerged in a deep ocean of brandy sauce, it's a bathyspheric pud of choice. Grab a spoon, blow the ballast, and prepare to dive, dive, dive.

The problem, generally, is that by the time I've stuffed myself with the starters and main course, my stomach has lit the 'no vacancies' sign. As a normally no-dessert person, I'm rarely prepared to navigate any third course.

Which means our Christmas pud is still in the cupboard.

I am of the view that all the modern Christmas Pudding variants (no nuts! gluten free! alcohol-free! etc.) should be banned and the makers hunted with dogs. Suet, fruit, the output of a small distillery. It should flambé à la Deepwater Horizon, like it's been sponsored by BP.

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:08:46 pm »
I've never been a fan, even of my mother's home made ones that sat on top of the wardrobe for the year. I'm not sure why I don't like it, as I love the rich fruit cake we make each year for Christmas, and I don't suppose the recipe is too different.  Maybe it's the addition of barley wine / stout that makes it less palatable to me.

Plus I'd much rather fill up on savoury than sweet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2020, 03:42:43 pm »
I’d rather fill up on savoury then sweet.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2020, 03:55:45 pm »
I thoroughly enjoy Christmas pudding and ate it on four occasions over the Christmas period.

When doing the weekly supermarket shop last Sunday, Mrs. Blade observed that the Christmas puddings were on sale at a vastly reduced price. We bought three  :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:06:24 pm »
+1
We got a couple of reduced price ones. No doubt the will be soon consumed.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:17:11 pm »
I went into Tesco last week to snap up leftover puddings...

...none were available.  They'd sold out. 

Waitrose only had a few of the really expensive ones left.

Maybe demand is a regional thing.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:19:06 pm »
I used one from two years ago.  Best Before Jan 2020.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
Bought a Lidl one this year, £3.39. Tasted as good as more expensive ones, the ingredients list contained no nasties, just ubiquitous palm oil  :-\

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:41:56 pm »
I used one from two years ago.  Best Before Jan 2020.

Mr R bought a job lot about 5/6 years ago.  We finished them about 6 months ago.  They were 'out of date' but perfectly edible.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Edd

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2020, 05:32:27 pm »
I only got to have a small piece (and a little of the brandy sauce) as I was driving shortly after. A visit to my Dad's did not produce more christmas pudding with his homemade brandy butter. I want to have a go at making my own though. I have fond memories of my mum cleaning out a large toy box so that all the ingredients for many christmas puddings could be mixed together. It even became traditional to eat one Easter Sunday!

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2020, 07:28:21 pm »
MrsC makes really nice Christmas puddings. Trouble is (like others have mentioned) we're too full to enjoy them. This year's has gone into the freezer1 having had about three tablespoon fulls removed from it.
When I was small, we used to have one on Christmas Day, one on Boxing Day, one at Easter and one for my Dad's birthday in July. Until one year when the birthday one had dried up and been reduced to dust.

[1] I know they keep perfectly well out of a freezer, it's just easier when they're out of the way.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:54:52 pm »
My wife makes them too, so we don't help sales at all.

Christmas would not be the same without them ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2020, 09:30:31 pm »
We've been too full for a dessert after Christmas dinner so any pudding is usually eaten after an interval of several hours, or the next day.

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2020, 09:36:39 pm »
I love it. Had double portions for dessert on Christmas Day. ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2020, 10:05:53 pm »
I bought 3. We had one on Christmas day, one on 3rd Jan when two siblings & an in-law visited. I don't yet know when we will have the other. I think Christmas puds are excellent and I never have trouble shovelling a good sized chunk down my gullet after a large first course of something roast.

One has to buy Christmas pud. I mean, what else is one to do with the blended whisky that one is occasionally given or wins in a raffle?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2020, 08:40:43 am »
I love the stuff, and treacle pudding too. Both are total anathema under my thou-shalt-not-enjoy diabetic diet and MrsT scorns them, so we had a run-of-the-mill "exotic" fruit salad which was about as exotic as Maggie's knickers. :(

Not that we'd have bought one anyway. Back in the Stone Age before I was diabetic, the Inlaw Paw (great lover of puddings) was still with us and MrsT still ate like a human being, she always made ours, and bloody good they were too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2020, 09:15:34 am »
Treacle pudding is something entirely different (and eaten on different occasions)! Although it is a bit skool dinnerz.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2020, 02:00:35 pm »
Syrup sponge & custard is our home-made favourite.
D probably prefers it to Xmas pud but is strongly traditionalist, even for traditions he does not enjoy.

But he is watching hid weight...

« Reply #22 on: 08 January, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »
I don't know what treacle pudding is. We had either treacle sponge, or treacle tart.  I could tolerate the former, with custard, but the latter was just sugar overload.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #23 on: 08 January, 2020, 02:22:22 pm »
Treacle [sponge] pudding innit. You take sponge, soak in treacle, drown in custard. If there's a way to get more sugar into it, I'm open to exploring it.

Is it still available in cans, that was a home treat? You were supposed to share it which was, of course, nonsense.

I'm a big fan of any kind of food in a can.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »
Ecce puddo!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/treacle_pudding_80920

Served hot, of course. That one there is starting to congeal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight