Author Topic: Tracklogs or Memory Map, any thoughts  (Read 2893 times)

AlanW

• I'm a fiddler, I like to turn screws coz I can...
Tracklogs or Memory Map, any thoughts
« on: 12 May, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
I'm in the market for some detailed mapping, and its a toss up 'tween Tracklogs and Memory Map?  But they both seem much of a much'ness to honest.

Any comments that it will swing it one way or the other?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Re: Tracklogs or Memory Map, any thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2009, 08:05:36 pm »
I bought Tracklogs several years ago.  At that time I downloaded the trial versions of each and reviewed them.  The aspect that made my mind up was the graphics of Tracklogs was more pleasing to my eye than the equivalent in Memory Map.  There was not much in it to be honest.

AlanW

• I'm a fiddler, I like to turn screws coz I can...
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »
I bought Tracklogs several years ago.  At that time I downloaded the trial versions of each and reviewed them.  The aspect that made my mind up was the graphics of Tracklogs was more pleasing to my eye than the equivalent in Memory Map.  There was not much in it to be honest.

Yes, I do tend to agree with you.  Plus I have tried both and Tracklogs did seem easier to use?

But on the flip side, Memory Map works out cheaper in the long run.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »
I've got Tracklogs and am pretty happy with it: 1:25 000 mapping is pricey (£25 per OS Explorer sheet) but the whole of Scotland at 1:50 000 was only £50, which I think was good value.

It's pretty intuitive to use though I still get muddled with the "divert primary path" bits when trying out alternative tracks.

Having said that, I've not used it with a GPS (yet...) so cannot comment on that side of things.

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
Memory maps doesn't seem to work with my 705.  I just use free online mapping like bikehike now.

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2009, 09:32:13 pm »
I looked at both and decided to just use the free online stuff (bikehike, bikely, google maps, etc).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2010, 01:44:17 pm »

Tracklogs is amazing.  I have just looked at the route statistics.
I can just view the climbs etc.
It then enables me to select them and displays them from the card on the map.
I was interested in the 7% climb of 3.1km at the 58km odometer reading.

So amazingly whizzy  ;D

plum

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2010, 01:52:40 pm »
I found [a trial version of] Memorymap really difficult to use, so I switched to Mapyx Quo which is much more intuitive [uses standard windows kepresses for undo etc]. Plus buying individual map tiles is more economical for me rather than shelling out for a whole region. UK/Ireland only coverage atm though.

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »
i originaly went with memory map but didn't like the way it worked so changed toi tracklogs which ,for me , has a better feel to it.

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »
I used the trial of both and agree on the above re: Memory Map.  It was just too busy at times and I did not like the colours  ::-)  The fact that Audax UK were pro Tracklogs turned me.  ( no Greg, not in that way calm down ).

I recently found a newer version of Tracklogs though and now I am running V3.  It has more HTML type menu pop ups ( for things like Save As ) and also now enables you to save and import in different formats such as .gpx

Talk about making it easier.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
The Mem Map user interface is totally bizarre.  How can a Windows program get away with not having a File menu (Open, Save etc) it is just bonkers.  My distant memory of Tracklogs is that it wasn't much better.  I also tried Anquet and Fugawi and none of them was at all standard.  It must be a cartographer thing, I think.

If you visit France, Mem Map does the whole of France on 1:250,000 IGN for a truly bargain price, around £30 I think.  They also do more detailed IGN but that gets expensive, and everything's on the 1:250000 anyway.  Every Mem Map 'map' has the program as well, so its not necessarily a question of committing to one or the other and then collecting maps for it.

Recent copies of Mem Map require activation, which is a pain when you change to another PC or even just replace your hard disk.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2010, 07:35:03 pm »
I have had Memory Map for about 6 years - I have the latest "whole of UK" DVD, the IGN France 250, the A-Z of London - all great stuff but I would agree that the interface and functionality is a bit quirky.

If I was starting again I think I'd go for TrackLogs

... BUT with the OS, apparently, easing the licence restrictions and download limits I think we'll see some natty stuff appear on the web quite soon  ...

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
I bought memory map a long time ago and the file handling was DIRE,  I complained to a guy at one of the outdoor shows and he said that my comments would be put on to a wish list.  I have never upgraded the product so I do not know what the latest variant is like.

When i needed new mapping I did a bit of research and changed to Tracklogs.  a very much better way of working anf the 3D fly through is very good for assessing the difficulty of walks.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot