Author Topic: What's the best Android cycle app?  (Read 5673 times)

rr

What's the best Android cycle app?
« on: 19 September, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
Just bought an android phone - what's the best GPS app for it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What's the best Android cycle app?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »
Depends....what are you wanting to use it for?

Navigation?  Route logging?  Route planning?  Live tracking?  Scary training stuff?  Finding out whether the "no through road" turns into a bikable path a few miles ahead?  Or just draining your battery as geekily as possible?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:53:46 am »
I found if I was running a "route recording" GPS program on my HTC Wildfire it went from fully charged to shutting itself off in about 6 or 7 hours

This isn't long enough for me.  So without some kind of extra battery or power it's probably not that useful as a GPS

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:05:25 am »
A decent navigation and route planning app for cycling would be good.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:07:02 am »
I use My Tracks

I really like it.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:36:16 am »
... I think the quick and cynical answer to the OP's question is ... none of them  :(

The "navigation" ideas seem lacking and as suggested everything is heavy on battery usage .... most of the apps seem to be "possible good ideas" but have not been fully thought through or developed.

That said, one exception seems to be the Boris Bikes app - have to confess I haven't used it, or a Boris, BUT I have two rather convenient holes at the front of my head, just above my nose, that serve the excellent purpose of seeing where there are bike racks/locations ... and whether they have any machines  ???    An app looking for a need?

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:21:27 am »
... I think the quick and cynical answer to the OP's question is ... none of them  :(

The "navigation" ideas seem lacking and as suggested everything is heavy on battery usage .... most of the apps seem to be "possible good ideas" but have not been fully thought through or developed.

That said, one exception seems to be the Boris Bikes app - have to confess I haven't used it, or a Boris, BUT I have two rather convenient holes at the front of my head, just above my nose, that serve the excellent purpose of seeing where there are bike racks/locations ... and whether they have any machines  ???    An app looking for a need?

Rob
As someone who wasted quite a while easlier this year when the first place (not the closest - I found where that was once I'd found the other one ::-)) I went to was out of paper, and the second place was closed due to building work, I think that app is one I will download next time I use a Doris. Quick location of alternative racks is an essential part of them being a viable alternative to a bus if you actually want to get somewhere.

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2011, 01:10:12 pm »

Rob

Been reflecting a little - actually there is a useful app - MM Tracks (mentioned above) that enables use of Memory Map OS maps on the phone (with a BIG SD card I have the whole of the UK) - downside is that Mr Memory Map doesn't like it and the latest range of maps don't work ... you need the versions that came on CD, not as downloads, for it work  ;)

It's brilliant - fire it up - OS 1:50000 displays - press the where am I button - and there you are!   - and the battery usage is minimal as it's all offline, not pinging back and forth in the ether.

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2011, 01:23:30 pm »
Bikehub tells where the nearest bike shops are, and has a routing function

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »
Been reflecting a little - actually there is a useful app - MM Tracks (mentioned above) that enables use of Memory Map OS maps on the phone (with a BIG SD card I have the whole of the UK) - downside is that Mr Memory Map doesn't like it and the latest range of maps don't work ... you need the versions that came on CD, not as downloads, for it work  ;)

+1 for this.  It's an excellent augmentation to an eTrex, as memory map is much better for quickly scrolling around and getting a bigger picture of an area.  The battery life's still pants if you try to use it continuously, as the screen draws a fair bit of power, but it's perfectly usable for quick checks, and assuming you have a power sorce, a viable alternative to carrying a stack of OS maps on a long tour.

"OSMAnd" is an Openstreetmap client that allows you to use maps offline.  Not OS map quality, but does the same sort of thing, for free.

Google maps, fairly obviously, relies on the network to download maps.  This makes it power-hungry and unreliable (you often need maps where there's no signal).  Latitude tracking is unfit for purpose on Android, as it only updates your location while the maps app is active in the foreground.  If you want to use Latitude for tracking, get a Nokia.

I found the Boris Bike app ("Barclays Bikes" I think it's called) useful, as the holes in my head are unable to detect nearby bike docks through solid concrete.  This is, IMHO, the sort of thing smartphone apps excel at.  If you want a navigator/logger, get a Garmin.

"Tasker" deserves honourable mention.  While not actually a GPS app (it's a utility for scripting all kinds of Android functions), it can be used to achieve advanced levels of power management (eg. coming out of airplane mode once every half an hour to check for messages), and to script GPS logging or tracking.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2011, 02:07:36 pm »
What about the Cyclestreets app? Is it any good?

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2011, 02:51:37 pm »

Very slow - mixed results - uninstalled.

.. and Google maps are, to me, amazingly inaccurate - roads that you're standing on aren't shown - others that are shown don't exist ... I blame the US military, it's all to confuse the enemy  ;)

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:37:17 am »

It's a good idea, but I've found it tricky to use and it has a tendancy to freeze whilst I'm trying to sort it out. It needs some work - it has the potential to be great.  :(

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:58:51 am »
"Tasker" deserves honourable mention.  While not actually a GPS app (it's a utility for scripting all kinds of Android functions), it can be used to achieve advanced levels of power management (eg. coming out of airplane mode once every half an hour to check for messages), and to script GPS logging or tracking.

Don't forget the "Reading received SMS to you over the headphones as you ride along..." script  :thumbsup:.

I love Tasker. The clincher for the "I'm cycling" scripts will be when I can find the right combination of settings so it can automagically detect when I'm cycling. Moving at an average speed between X and Y is my current thinking, but that means having the GPS on all the time which is battery melting.

« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »
I use My Tracks

I really like it.

Bobb, after seeing your post I tried 'My Tracks' today on the ride - impressed.   :)   Saved the route as a gpx and uploaded it to Strava from phone SD card.

I was also trying the Strava app at the same time, and somehow I managed to stop recording without realising it when we stopped to check the route on OSMand.  So ended up with half the ride recorded via Strava.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #15 on: 22 September, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »
I was also trying the Strava app at the same time, and somehow I managed to stop recording without realising it when we stopped to check the route on OSMand.  So ended up with half the ride recorded via Strava.
I had the same happen to me yesterday on Steve GT's ride from Skipton. Recording stopped half-way round. I'd just assumed it would continue until I told it not to. I generally find the Strava Android app very hit-and-miss. I'll give MyTracks a go.

« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
Try ipbike.  Android equivalent of Garmin 810 or Bryton 50.  I use it with a Sony Xperia Arc S fitted with a 3500 mah extended battery.  I get about 7 hours with the screen on full brightness, tracking GPS, and ANT+ HR, Speed and Cadence.  This life could probably be extended as you can download offline maps so you don't need a data connection and can run in aeroplane mode.  For planning route I use mapmyride if only because it plots distance markers.  At the present it does not do turn by turn instructions.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
Another vote for Bikehub.  It's one of those things you forget until you need the "bike shops near me" button.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2013, 09:01:16 pm »
My Tracks works well for recording a track, plus as a basic trip computer. With various options for exporting and sharing the track.

Or "GPS Logger for Android" - it has more options for recording tracks, eg you can decrease the frequency to give better battery life, or record 1 point per second if you want. Plus it can automatically upload to Dropbox, or email the track etc.

The CycleStreets app has improved quite a bit recently. It can now do routing with voice directions. You can download a map set for offline routing.

OsmAnd is another option for offline maps and routing, plus it can record a track. Though a somewhat confusing interface.

« Reply #19 on: 23 September, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »
I tried Strava and My Tracks again on the way back from work.  I had previously uninstalled and downloaded Strava again, and turned the phone on & off.

Both started recording.  At home (well outside) stopped both.  My Tracks saved no problem.  Strava - no trace, can find any data from the ride... a bit pants really (unless I've missed something).

edit. weird... later in the evening, Strava announced it had found an unfinished session (or something similar).  Managed to save the data.  I wonder if it needs internet to complete properly.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20 on: 23 September, 2013, 09:41:09 pm »
I was thinking of throwing together an app that would give you the directions to the nearest cycle friendly cafe.. (Keep a database, check location and route from present location to nearest ATCF (possibly give a list) using the cyclestreets app.

An Audax routesheet app should be possible. If it only bothers to check location at n/2 where n is the distance to the next turn instruction then it could be quite economical on battery life for the GPS.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes