Author Topic: ACME Club Run, (open to all)  (Read 19174 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
ACME Club Run, (open to all)
« on: 13 October, 2022, 10:30:07 am »
As already mentioned in MEMWNS, I've been contemplating starting regular weekend ACME Club Runs to combat CBA Syndrome/Winter Blues. Maybe just half-days, out somewhere for elevenses maybe but could just as easily be an all day ride. Definitely not an Audax o'clock start: 09:30/10:00? Central meeting point, Witham 'spoons possibly, or at least somewhere undercover while waiting for everyone to roll in ...

Every weekend, maybe except ACME Audax event Saturdays/weekends.

If anyone volunteers to lead and plot a route in advance that'd be great, but things could just as well be very informal: turn up and twist someone's arm to work out a route on the fly.

I've started a poll to canvas opinion re: day/time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: ACME Club Run, (open to all)
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:38:24 am »
This sounds like a jolly fine idea.

I might well attempt to join a few of these, possibly monthly, and electrified.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:51:42 am »
This sounds like a jolly fine idea.

I might well attempt to join a few of these, possibly monthly, and electrified.

:thumbsup: Super!

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2022, 12:56:48 pm »
I’m provisionally interested though it would be an audax o’clock start if the rides start in Witham  :)

Have registered my day/time preferences on the poll thread  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2022, 11:12:46 am »
Like this idea as it would encourage me out more at weekends. Not sure I would be able to keep up with you all though. What would be good if you published elevenses / lunch location and I could aim to meet up with you there.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2022, 05:43:34 pm »
Like this idea as it would encourage me out more at weekends. Not sure I would be able to keep up with you all though. What would be good if you published elevenses / lunch location and I could aim to meet up with you there.

Ideally the elevenses venue should be published in advance. I'm still feeling my way with this, so we'll have to see how formal the planning goes. I think it's likely we'll be returning to the Battesford Court, but the Compasses is an option too. Some will of course head straight home at the end or maybe peel off early.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2022, 05:48:51 pm »
If we can start this Saturday, I'll plan a route and a venue for elevenses. It will be wiggly, indirect and definitely not audax-y and may even involve a little bit of ruffstuff.

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2022, 07:39:15 pm »
I’ll aim for the following week. I need to be at home around midday this Saturday for my bike collection to become n-1.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2022, 08:18:15 pm »
I'm a probable for Saturday am - but regarding pm, I can't find the details of the pubinar???

Any change it could have an update so it come to the top of a thread?

Cheers :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2022, 10:44:35 pm »
 :thumbsup: I will try to flip my weekend commitments so that I can ride on Saturday. 

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2022, 10:50:20 pm »
I'm a probable for Saturday am - but regarding pm, I can't find the details of the pubinar???

Any change it could have an update so it come to the top of a thread?

Cheers :thumbsup:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123363.msg2732413#msg2732413

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:00:41 am »
Thanks JellyLegs - the Pubinar thread is fairly near the top in the PBP subsection of Audax.

To summarise: Meet from 18:00 on Saturday 22/10 at the Compasses, eat, drink, start at about 20:00. Mostly anciens et anciennes committed to attending. Not much response from newbies, but hey, it'll still be a fun evening!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2022, 05:55:31 pm »
One day left for the poll. It looks likely to be a Saturday Morning ride, just edging out Sunday mornings - how about starting this week? I'll lead and already have a rough idea of venue and route: Andrewfield 'Millibar' via some lanes we don't usually see on audaxes. Roughly 20 miles each way, with the possibility of a more direct return if necessary. Those from further afield can do their own thing later of course.

Meet at the Battesford Court and leave at 09:30. I'll get there a bit earlier for breakfast.

Btw, Andrewsfield do breakfast until 12:00 and also have a small selection of cakes for elevenses. I did consider the Blue Egg, but it does get very busy. Andrewsfield was the top favourite destination for a family bike ride back in the day - Dan did once get the chance to sit in the cockpit of a little Cessna and we had an informal guided tour of the hangers as well. Another time a French club flew in and piled into taxis to take them to the White Hart (now gone), in Great Saling.

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2022, 07:21:46 pm »
Given there were many people who could make a Sunday, would it be possible to mix it up a bit? Maybe do a Sunday ride every 3 or 4 weeks, and see how it goes?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2022, 08:54:53 am »
Given there were many people who could make a Sunday, would it be possible to mix it up a bit? Maybe do a Sunday ride every 3 or 4 weeks, and see how it goes?

:thumbsup: I'd prefer it to be in addition to, rather than instead of, thus keeping a regular club run day/time. I voted for Sunday afternoons, which would suit me better - if I was free on a Sunday morning I'd probably opt to join the CTC Chelmsford ride. But we'll have to see how it goes and review from time to time.

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2022, 10:49:40 am »
I’m in for this Saturday morning - though I’ll probably ride straight home from Andrewsfield rather than going back to Witham.

I’m also planning on attending the pubinar on Saturday evening   :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 21 October, 2022, 04:02:23 pm »
I’m in for this Saturday morning - though I’ll probably ride straight home from Andrewsfield rather than going back to Witham.

I’m also planning on attending the pubinar on Saturday evening   :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I've been in touch with the Millibar and will alert them as to start numbers tomorrow morning. It's not the kind of place that can cope with a sudden influx, unlike the Blue Egg, Thremhall and the like. We'll see how many we get tomorrow - I have a cunning plan for marshalling more than about 6 of us on the road.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2022, 06:30:37 pm »
I'm not going to be able to make it but hope the inaugral ACME club run goes well!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2022, 07:42:46 pm »
I intend to be there.   :)

« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2022, 03:29:19 pm »
Thanks to Tomsk for organising and leading the first ACME Club Run this morning.  Six of us set off, including  Grey Sheep and BFC plus several others I suspect are of this parish but I didn’t get their names.  The route was a pleasant, laney 60km loop in perfect autumnal weather out as far as the cafe at Andrewsfield airstrip for a coffee stop and then back via more lanes to ‘spoons at Witham.  By the time I rode to the start and back as well, I had warmed up the legs with just shy of 115km so a good morning’s work.

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2022, 05:09:25 pm »
Thanks to Tomsk for organising and leading the first ACME Club Run this morning.
+1. Lovely route and great weather.

As planned, i sloped off home after the stop at Andrewsfield. 110km for me including the ride to the start and back home - my first ride of any length on an upright and fixed for a couple of years so I’m feeling it a bit now!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 23 October, 2022, 03:19:52 pm »
Thanks everyone - I picked the right day indeed. So many other riders out and about too.

Next week Huggy + helpers, including myself, will be riding the 3Rs in preparation for the following week's start to the ACME Winter Series. We'll all be meeting up at the Battesford Court, so I hope to see some on the second club run there.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:34:43 am »
Next week Huggy + helpers, including myself, will be riding the 3Rs in preparation for the following week's start to the ACME Winter Series. We'll all be meeting up at the Battesford Court, so I hope to see some on the second club run there.
If anyone in so inclined and wishes to validate the Essex 3Rs 100k it will be my first venture in to using e-brevet for a calendar ride, event brevet to download is 22-340
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 27 October, 2022, 08:30:10 am »
Is anyone out on the club run this Saturday? (Bearing in mind several of us will be on Huggy's Helpers' Ride/route check of the 3Rs.) Otherwise Sunday morning might be an option?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #24 on: 27 October, 2022, 09:36:16 am »
If anyone in so inclined and wishes to validate the Essex 3Rs 100k it will be my first venture in to using e-brevet for a calendar ride, event brevet to download is 22-304

I think you will find 22-340 will work better! I just had a quick go at downloading and it looks fine.
Reminder for ebrevet novices - check your password before you start, easily done via the "test credentials" option on the menu.