Author Topic: Susan Boyle - Britain's Got Talent  (Read 10110 times)

Re: Susan Boyle - Britain's Got Talent
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »
A followup story was on the news here in Australia tonight, talking about her success and the number of hits on the various websites.  They referred to her as "unemployed spinster" - do they do that in the UK?  It's a term I've not heard used for years!  At least they didn't refer to her looks I suppose.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2009, 02:45:39 pm »
Opera singers are such a vain and selfish bunch.  It's all "me me me".

Hat, coat, door

ChrisO

« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »
A followup story was on the news here in Australia tonight, talking about her success and the number of hits on the various websites.  They referred to her as "unemployed spinster" - do they do that in the UK?  It's a term I've not heard used for years!  At least they didn't refer to her looks I suppose.

My wife (to be) was much amused when we were filling in the forms for our marriage and she had to be described as a spinster.

I guess it serves a purpose of accurately describing someone who has not been married as opposed to someone who is divorced or widowed and it also has connotations that she isn't just single or unmarried - she aint getting any.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 18 April, 2009, 12:47:54 pm »
She does remind me somewhat of Gwynedd from "Absolutely", but she can belt out a tune.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2009, 01:01:59 pm »
Tanya Gold?  That minger:  What's she harping about? 

We don't do television and have rad and heard all about it on radio and in the press.   I found it on Youtube and we played it without the visuals.  her voice is awesome.  Great range, holds a note well, hits it clean.  No wavering.   When I looked at the footage what I saw was a real person.   

Good on yer Susan Boyle.   I hope you blaze a trail for truth and value in this world of ours that is too much motivated by a false crock of 'beauty and youth' shit.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »
OK.  This sort of TV program does not exist chez moi, but obviously I've been reading and hearing about it via other media.  So thanks for the link.

Did someone mention Kathleen Ferrier?  Well, not quite, but hey, with a little professional coaching, who knows where this voice could go?

Thank heavens this modern insistance on "acceptable looks" (acceptable to who, BTW?) wasn't quite so strong when Janice Joplin and Nina Simone were starting out.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2009, 10:54:21 am »
Although Janice Joplin was under confident about her looks. Was one of the reasons she drank so much.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #33 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:09:11 am »
...and Nina Simone was quite beautiful when she smiled (which was rare). :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #34 on: 22 April, 2009, 10:02:36 am »
Although Janice Joplin was under confident about her looks. Was one of the reasons she drank so much.

With SB you don't get the impression she's trying to be someone else.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #35 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
Rather than Airline between Coronation Streets tonight, viewers in Scotland have just had a Susan Boyle special, with talking heads comments from Michelle McManus (bitter, patronising) and John Smeaton (enthusiastic, positive, encouraging).

::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
Hmm.  Where are their careers now?  One is famous for being rather large, the other for punching inept terrorists.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #37 on: 04 May, 2009, 08:53:30 pm »
It was reported that it was the Scots block vote that won it for Michelle McManus, David Sneddon & Leon. However that doesn't explain Steve Brookstein

« Reply #38 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »
It was reported that it was the Scots block vote that won it for Michelle McManus, David Sneddon & Leon. However that doesn't explain Steve Brookstein

It has now been reported that you know far too many names of people who I imagine won some reality shows on the telly.   ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #39 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:10:21 pm »
Hmm.  Where are their careers now?  One is famous for being rather large, the other for punching inept terrorists.
Smeato was very ill over Christmas following a severe asthma attack but he seems to be ok now.

« Reply #40 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:14:46 pm »
I was actually late to tv democracy, I was too late to prevent Hear'say, and when it was Will Young vs Gareth Gates, the phone system crashed but luckily my vote wasn't required as Will won. Still upset by Leon's victory over Rhydian.

What's the phrase? 'For evil to happen, it just requires good men to do nothing'. I owe it to the world to ensure that Steve Brookstein never happens again.

*yes I also like Eurovision

**Ms McManus got in that world reknowned fraud and charlatan, Gillian McKeith to help her lose weight, so she's now less large  

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #41 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
Michelle McManus made the same mistake Susan Boyle's about to, by thinking that with her fabulous voice, "if only" she had the film star looks she'd be a superstar.  Unfortunately by denying the public their freak show, she's just another good singer and everyone forgot about her.

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:07:11 pm »
+1 Liz.

I always find it tragic that most of the "contestants" on, what is clearly, a freak-show don't draw the natural conclusion that a freak-show needs freaks and that, quite possibly, they may be a freak, there only to be ridiculed.

There are several types of contestants it seems:

Type 1 - Ordinary Freak.  Dodgy hair, train-spotter clothes, not quite enough teeth to successfully tackle corn on the cob and a total lack of talent.  Their performance will leave you open-mouthed and wondering what happened to Mental Health funding. You will call your kids indoors in case there are more of them out there.

Type 2 - Talented Freak.  As above but with a decent voice.  Their performance will leave you open-mouthed, amazed that extremely ugly people can have talent.  The pathos will be tear-jerking and I can almost hear the contestant slurping their thanks to Simon Cowell, John Merrick-like, "you've all been so terribly kind".  Ultimately though, as Liz points out, why have an ugly bird performing when there are hundreds of nice looking ones out there. (that's ..err...definitely what Liz ....errr ...meant).

Type 3 - Child Freak. Possibly the worst freak of all.  Either it's a precocious little gimp that's been to stage school since birth and dreams of being in Eastenders or it's a shy one with big eyes and small talent.  Either way, I don't think anyone really wants kids singing on TV, it's just annoying and only their grand-parents will truly like it.  Kids can't sing.  They are shit little singers.  Don't believe me, check how many albums you have by 6 year olds.

Type 4 - Sympathy Freak.  They've had it tough alright.  Wife's gone (either dead or just pissed off with Milkman), 7 kids to feed, Tattoos to have done fags and booze to buy, it's not easy holding down 2 jobs AND claiming disability.  Here is your classic pub singer, they can hold a tune and are told by Cowell they are the next Sinatra.  They get built up for a few rounds until we're sick of watching sickening video clips of their kids praying to God for mummy's return and, more importantly, a new Playstation 3.

Type 5 - 1970's Variety Show Freak. Jugglers, Dance Troupes, Contortionists, Sword Swallowers, Dancing Dogs and so on.  I mean, what is the very best thing that can possibly happen to these people?  It's Haven Holiday Camps isn't it?  Surely Butlins have stopped using freaks like these haven't they.

So yes, I think I summarized perfectly what Liz was trying to say there.  Fking freak show.  Kill them all, Kill, Kill them All Goddamnit!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #43 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:15:07 pm »
Thanks for that Lee, that's the perfect summary of what I would have been trying to say if I were making a completely different point.  ;D

LEE

« Reply #44 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »
Thanks for that Lee, that's the perfect summary of what I would have been trying to say if I were making a completely different point.  ;D

I simply read between the lines.  I'm just the messenger.

« Reply #45 on: 05 May, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »
Yeah but the above freaks usually have a glimmer of talent even if it's short lived. The freaks that really get to me are the ones who go into a house and pretend to be even more freakish so that they don't get booted out of said house after a week or 2. But even worse make money off the back of having no talent whatsoever. >:(

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #46 on: 23 November, 2009, 09:13:32 am »

Susan Boyle  takes over world - The Scotsman

I was having a discussion with a cycling mate back in July about 'SuBo'. I opined that she was going to be very successful and that her first album was going to be a huge bestseller. He disagreed saying that as he works in the music industry he knew that she would not last, that her album would probably not even be made, and as no music company had even picked the album it would not even be released. I said that the US loves her and that you do not discount that, plus there is the Simon Cowell factor.

:smug:  :smug:  :smug:

« Reply #47 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:27:06 am »
I think it's still very cruel for her to be nicknamed Subo.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #48 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:39:31 am »
I think it's still very cruel for her to be nicknamed Subo.

I agree, it does have derogatory associations to it, hence why I put it in quotes.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #49 on: 23 November, 2009, 06:14:20 pm »
I heard her version of Wild Horses on the radio on Saturday, without knowing who it was. I liked it. Interesting she's gone for a rock song as her first single rather than something dreary and predictable from a musical.