Poll

Harry Hill - comedy genius, or tosser?

Comedy genius
20 (46.5%)
Tosser
23 (53.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Harry Hill gets Bafta  (Read 11949 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

plug

Re: Harry Hill gets Bafta
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:37:49 am »
Not sure about comedy genius, but he isn't a tosser and he makes oi larf.

plug

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:39:15 am »
...and as for bafta, who cares?

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:46:21 am »
there's only one way to find out....

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:55:42 am »
Not sure about comedy genius, but he isn't a tosser and he makes oi larf.

Agreed.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:59:52 am »
there's only one way to find out....

Who would have expected that?

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:10:10 am »
Not a tosser but I don't find the guy even mildly amusing so that was my only choice.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:49:29 am »
Well, they couldn't really give it to Woss, could they?

He is a tosser.  Harry Hill is neither genius nor tosser, but seems happy to be the Dennis Norden de nos jours, which is rather less than I had previously expected from him... :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:58:09 am »
Well, they couldn't really give it to Woss, could they?

He is a tosser.  Harry Hill is neither genius nor tosser, but seems happy to be the Dennis Norden de nos jours, which is rather less than I had previously expected from him... :-\

Not bad for a Yorkshire man.

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:58:52 am »
TV Burp is genius IMO...except I think it used to be more funny and cutting before it got so popular and they gave it a primetime slot...even so, it’s raised a lot of laughs out of me, mocking all the rubbish that’s on.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:50:37 pm »
Seems to me that Baftas aren't such an accolade considering "The Bill", "Eastenders" and "Casualty" were battling it out for one.

I like "TV Burp" and now play the "I bet that makes it into TV Burp" game when I watch shows like "The Apprentice".

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:58:51 pm »
I don't find him even slightly amusing. 

I saw him live when I was at university - everyone else was rolling in the aisles, little tears of laughter falling down their cheeks, and I was sitting there mentally going over the next day's essay.  Don't know why, I've just never really got it.

Really Ancien

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2009, 05:20:20 pm »
TV Burp covers the same ground as Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, with a lighter touch, more effectively and on prime time Saturday ITV, which is a considerable acheivement, it seems to be at its best when David Quantick is writing for it. http://www.amandahowardassociates.co.uk/cv/Quantick%20David.pdf

Damon.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2009, 06:39:52 pm »
Isn't the winner of any of the baftas categories supposed to be the best that TV have to offer over the last year ?

And if tv-burp is the best comedy out there I'm worried. Yes it is somewhat funny but not bafta material.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2009, 06:42:37 pm »
I find him desperately unfunny, but my tastes run firmly to toilet humour.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2009, 06:46:21 pm »
I don't find him even slightly amusing. 

I saw him live when I was at university - everyone else was rolling in the aisles, little tears of laughter falling down their cheeks, and I was sitting there mentally going over the next day's essay.  Don't know why, I've just never really got it.
He  has the same effect on me, as does Ricky Gervais.
Working my way up to inferior.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »
I'm really glad I'm not alone in finding Harry Hill one of the least amusing comedians on TV.  I saw him live once as well - at the Ealing Comedy Festival, in fact.

He was spectacularly unfunny.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:01:46 pm »
I have never seen the point of Harry Hill. Sorry, Mrs Hill ...

« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
I'm really glad I'm not alone in finding Harry Hill one of the least amusing comedians on TV.  I saw him live once as well - at the Ealing Comedy Festival, in fact.

He was spectacularly unfunny.

You are not alone and I share your view (even though I'm not a regular on the telly box).

Years ago I stood next to HH at the back of the audience in the East Dulwich Tavern where he was about to go on stage and do stand-up.

His over enthusiastic applause for the mediocre entertainment on offer was more amusing (as was his oversized shirt collar) than anything else which happened on stage that night.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:02:10 pm »
I have to question the voting options and the motives behind them.

"Genius or Tosser"?

It sounds exactly like a SUN newspaper poll.

Why can't we try to be more constructive than a, generally offensive, Chav-rag like the SUN?

I like Harry Hill, I don't think he's a comic genius neither do I think he's a tosser.

Can I have a "I think he's funny" option?
Can I have a "I don't think he's funny" option?

Comedy is subjective.

He IS funny because people find him funny

Ricky Gervais IS funny because people find him funny.

Viewing figures, DVD sales and download statistics suggest popularity and therefore funniness.

"Harry Hill gets a Bafta" means that someone out there likes him.  If he didn't win it then Ant & Dec may have won it and upset a different set of grouches.

Harry Hill has won 3 Baftas, Ricky Gervais has won all the comedy awards available several times over and holds the record for most downloaded radio show.

They are both talented and funny so it must be you.

Maybe, just maybe, the best TV shows DID win the Baftas. 

His over enthusiastic applause for the mediocre entertainment on offer was more amusing (as was his oversized shirt collar) than anything else which happened on stage that night.

Jurek, don't you see even the slightest pinch of snobbery and elitism in that statement?

Spinners

« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:03:38 pm »
I wouldn't go quite as far as 'Comedy Genius' but in the words of Eric Morecambe, "I like him".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3r301hE1l4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/s3r301hE1l4&rel=1</a>

(2:19)

« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »
Ricky Gervais IS funny because people find him funny.
Harry Hill has won 3 Baftas, Ricky Gervais has won all the comedy awards available several times over and holds the record for most downloaded radio show.

They are both talented and funny so it must be you.

Ricky Gervais?   now he's somebody who is an extremely annoying non funny person.  I never understood why he won anything.

At least Harry Hill is mildly amusing.

« Reply #22 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:46:15 pm »
I don't find him at all amusing. I find him mildly annoying.

I don't find much of what Ricky Gervaise does funny, either (some of his stand-up makes me laugh - occasionally - and that's it). His work usually either leaves me unmoved, or makes me cringe slightly. But I can appreciate the skill of the characterisation in some of his work, e.g. The Office, whereas Harry Hill is just an annoying git who thinks that slagging off badgers, wearing a big collar, & cultivating some odd mannerisms are comical.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 28 April, 2009, 12:06:09 am »
While TV Burp is just mildy amusing, I found HH's old stand-up spectacularly funny at one point, and ingenius the way he linked the bits up.  You have to like the man, though.  The material doesn't stand up on its own.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 28 April, 2009, 08:13:21 am »
I have to question the voting options and the motives behind them.

"Genius or Tosser"?

It sounds exactly like a SUN newspaper poll.

Why can't we try to be more constructive than a, generally offensive, Chav-rag like the SUN?

I like Harry Hill, I don't think he's a comic genius neither do I think he's a tosser.

Can I have a "I think he's funny" option?
Can I have a "I don't think he's funny" option?

No, you can't  :P

I'm deliberately trying to muster support for my offensive, prejudiced and opinionated stance  :demon: