Author Topic: Britain's Got Talent (in The Priory)  (Read 8166 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Britain's Got Talent (in The Priory)
« on: 01 June, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
I didn't watch it because life is too short to be bothered with such dross.  Apparently, a street dance troupe called "Diversity" won.  How nice.

Much like Big Brother and various other reality-pap television shows, even though I didn't watch it, it was pretty hard to avoid exposure to it through the media.  Apparently, one of the front-runners was a lady called Susan who was a bit funny-looking, but could sing quite well.

Then I read this on the BBC site this morning:

Talent star Boyle taken to clinic

Looks like she's gone totally batshit and has been taken to the Priory for de-wibbling.

It was clearly fabulous publicity and it all made "good" telly, but I wonder if the producers of "Britain's Got Talent" give a flying fig about her now?

Bit sad, really.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LinzWakeley

Re: Britain's Got Talent (in The Priory)
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:33:31 am »
I think Cowell has already signed her, so yes he will have a vested interest.  Let's face it, a librarian isn't going to be able to afford the Priory is she?

But if a adult has difficulties with the pressure, what about the kids.  No wonder one of the kids broke down half way through her performance.

should be cycling

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:36:48 am »
"The youngest of nine children, Boyle suffered oxygen deprivation during birth, resulting in learning disabilities."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/18/susan-boyle-britains-got-talent

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:39:55 am »
Leaving aside the morals of the programme (I didn't watch it, but Mrs S did) for a moment.

Mrs S showed me a a couple of the Diversity sequences. Those chaps sure can dance. Very clever stuff with some tremendous choreography.

OK... as you were.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:40:14 am »
I did watch the very end of this - I was transiting through the kitchen when it was on and stopped when I saw Ms Boyle...

I found it slightly uncomfortable to watch.  The poor woman seemed to be struggling to hold it together and i had the impression that everyone on the stage had one eye on her in case she reacted in an unexpected way.  There was momentary panic when she went slightly off piste and headed off in an unexpected direction, and there was palpable relief at her very gracious acknowledgment of the winners, I felt, but with the subtext that they were worried she might have gone postal. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:44:16 am »
But tears and drama are all part of the gig.  Are we expecting her to have an axe hidden in her frock just because she looks like that Kathy Bates in Misery

She's the new Jade, of course. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LinzWakeley

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:48:00 am »
But then people, who had probably read the Sun's character assassination of her, were booing her performance.  That's not nice for anyone to cope with.  Let's face it, the Sun isn't the most reliable source for information, but people believed the things they printed about her.  Cowell made a public announcement after her act, stating that she is not what the press have said, and that she is a thoroughly nice person.  I think anyone would feel stressed performing in front of millions under the circumstances she had to perform.  No wonder she struggled emotionally with the results show and no wonder she is exhausted now.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:49:31 am »
But tears and drama are all part of the gig.

Indeed.  I felt that she was being used to add a little artificial edge to the show.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
That's the problem though.  All these people are being used.

The producers of the programme are more interested in ratings than record deals.  Who gives a fuck what happens after the show's over, right?

Maybe they'll sell a few CDs on back of the show, but nobody seriously expects these poor misfits to go onto serious artistic careers.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LinzWakeley

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:00:25 am »
Paul Potts - another seeming 'misfit' - has made a classical career from BGT.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:08:30 am »
She's a tax-paying grown-up when all said and done

The show is a talent show in the tradition of "Opportunity Knocks".

It's been her dream to be recognised as a singer and she got her chance.

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is for your dreams to come true.

Simon Cowell will make a few million from her and she may even make a few million herself but I think she'll always be longing for the days when she was an unrecognised librarian.

It was her choice though.  If the show excluded people on the grounds of being a potential nut-job then there'd only be about 5 contestants.

She was chosen for the show (above more talented people I suspect) because it's so remarkable that ugly people can have a talent.  

Quasimodo wasn't a particularly good bell-ringer you know.

LinzWakeley

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:16:00 am »

She was chosen for the show (above more talented people I suspect) because it's so remarkable that ugly people can have a talent.  

Quasimodo wasn't a particularly good bell-ringer you know.

Ugly?  That's unkind.  She hadn't looked after herself yes, but I wonder what your definition of ugly is based on? The media pushed ideals of tall, young skinny and blonde?  OK she wasn't that, but then the show selected lots of women who were young, blonde, tall and skinny who had very little talent!!  Talent comes in all shapes and forms, it is just that those who don't conform to the standard stereotype of beauty are not noticed.  Therefore, Quasimodo may have been an excellent bell ringer, but his talent was overlooked.

« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:21:44 am »
Susan Boyle is an ordinary middle-aged person.  She doesn't chase a media-hyped image.   That doesn't make her ugly, that makes her very normal.

Your values seem a little distorted LEE. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:25:45 am »
That's the problem though.  All these people are being used.

You've just described pretty much the entire reality TV machine.  Parade the freaks, market the ones the public like, suck 'em dry then cover their breakdowns in excrutiating detail.  

I guess some entrants may not have realized that this was the deal before entering, but really, it's how reality TV has run for a decade now and celebrity has worked like that for as long as we've had teeth.

And the public love it.  Novelty and drama all at once.  Sturm, drang and a song.  

Susan Boyle is an ordinary middle-aged person.  She doesn't chase a media-hyped image.   That doesn't make her ugly, that makes her very normal.

Your values seem a little distorted LEE. 

They seem very mainstream to me.  She's trailed as the moose with the voice of an angel.  That's how she presents, and in an environment of plastic prettiness, it really stands out. 

Mind you, she should have used a different song and really knocked people's socks off.  The performance was a bit one-trick-pony.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:52:49 am »
Paul Potts - another seeming 'misfit' - has made a classical career from BGT.

And "reckoned to have earned £6 million" is what The Times says today. Susan Boyle is expected to make between £5 million and £8 million from possible album sales and appearance fees.

Lionel Blair (!?) was on Channel 4 news last night discussing Diversity. He said the dancers were pretty talented but not enough to warrant being a true headline act. On the other hand, he said, the choreographer is exceptional and will go much further in the world than the dancers (but, of course, you'll never hear about him/her as you never do).

I accidentally watched about 30 seconds of BGT. *shudder*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:56:51 am »
...  All these people are being used...

And so are we.
Getting there...

LinzWakeley

« Reply #16 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:00:57 am »

And so are we.

Only if you choose to be.  You can ignore hype and not watch the programme.

« Reply #17 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:07:44 am »

And so are we.

Only if you choose to be.  You can ignore hype and not watch the programme.

No you can't.  It was on the BBC1 morning news.

WTF???

LinzWakeley

« Reply #18 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:09:37 am »
...  All these people are being used...

And so are we.

Only if you choose to be.  You can ignore hype and not watch the programme.

No you can't.  It was on the BBC1 morning news.

WTF???

You don't have to watch it.  You are in control of your behaviours and actions.  So don't WTF me!

PS nice - the only time I get notice on this forum it is in the form of attack - great welcome!

Really Ancien

« Reply #19 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
Some might think that the whole thing is beyond satire. I think Peter Kay did a good job though.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubWDY5ek4H8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ubWDY5ek4H8&rel=1</a>

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:18:10 am »
I don't watch the programme.  I don't have a TV.  But it has been all over the newspapers and radio.  And I think it's none of my business (or anyone else's really) whether the woman has been hospitalised.

But approx 18million people watched the Final.
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:24:32 am »

You don't have to watch it.  You are in control of your behaviours and actions.  So don't WTF me!

PS nice - the only time I get notice on this forum it is in the form of attack - great welcome!

MY WTF is a comment on what makes the BBC news, not on your post.

ps WTF are you anyway? ;D ;)

LinzWakeley

« Reply #22 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:26:25 am »

MY WTF is a comment on what makes the BBC news, not on your post.

ps WTF are you anyway? ;D ;)

A reasonably new person to this forum

« Reply #23 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:28:28 am »
Welcome Linz  :thumbsup:

LinzWakeley

« Reply #24 on: 01 June, 2009, 11:29:19 am »
Thank you :)