Author Topic: Best film about civil servants.  (Read 1450 times)

Really Ancien

Best film about civil servants.
« on: 26 May, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »
I nominate 'The Right Stuff', not enough films about 'heroes on superann' in my opinion.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j98TNx7VDzU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/j98TNx7VDzU&rel=1</a>

Damon

Really Ancien

Re: Best film about civil servants.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »
Currently on BBC 4, Days that shook the world about Chuck Yeager and Mach 1.

Damon.

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 06:14:29 pm »
Hmmm...I dunno. Having watched that scene, and being a (mostly) civil servant, it seems like the usual bias. Handsome, macho manly men with lots of Common Sense show the weaselly bureaucrat -snobs, who think they know it all, how stupid they really are. Life is simple, if we just let the cowboys and their one-liners show the way. Anybody who thinks too much is a weasel and needs to be taken down a notch or three. And Government is always stupid. (Never mind that Military is Government.)

No offense meant, Damon--I like the idea of this thread, but that particular scene hits a few raw nerves, which have been exposed by several years of dealing with that kind of attitude.

I'll try to think of some other movies about bureaucrats, as a more positive response to this thread.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »
I was just musing that The Right Stuff was a film made 25 years ago about events 25 years before that. the heroes of the film are in fact the test pilots, principally Yeager, acknowledged by the Astronauts as the embodiment of the the Right Stuff. Although commissioned service personnell they where essentially scientific civil servants, it's been a while since the most celebrated heroes were on the government payroll and I was trying to think of other instances where they are portrayed.

Damon.

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »
I was just musing that The Right Stuff was a film made 25 years ago

Good grief, has it been that long? < feels old >

Although commissioned service personnell they where essentially scientific civil servants,

That's a good point.

it's been a while since the most celebrated heroes were on the government payroll and I was trying to think of other instances where they are portrayed.

Oh, you want *positive* portrayals of civil servants, not just well-done movies? That's harder.  :)   But I'd be happy to see some....
scottclark.photoshelter.com