Author Topic: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.  (Read 11056 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.
« Reply #50 on: 09 November, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »
Didn't notice the music so wasn't distracted.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #51 on: 09 November, 2011, 11:52:18 pm »
Mind you, most of the noises are also added after - I doubt many of the animals had lavalier microphones on for the long shots.

In the 10-minute "this is how we did it" section, the banter of the crew as they filmed the polar bears was very prominent - that's when you realise the footage is silent and they dub nature sounds over the top afterwards.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 10 November, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
Yes, that was very obvious. It was rather odd seeing the bears and having the chatting going on.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #53 on: 10 November, 2011, 09:09:17 am »

Mind you, most of the noises are also added after - I doubt many of the animals had lavalier microphones on for the long shots.

But I've known that for ages. I quite fancy being a foley artist. Bring on the coconuts and gravel tray! What is it for polar bears on snow? A bag of icing sugar on a table top...

I don't think the sound effects matter in the slightest myself - people want to feel they are there, and the sound effects provide that. I can understand the point about the music, but I tend to zone it out anyway.

On the other hand, it can enhance. Any shot of a penguin on land is improved by a slightly comic tune, it's like the gravy on beef. And my Mum still talks about how much she enjoyed a scene in Life on Earth when Sir David descended into the Grand Canyon on a mule, to the refrain of a slightly lopsided hobble-dee tune, which matched the gait of a mule perfectly.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #54 on: 10 November, 2011, 09:25:25 am »
The music put me off the whole series.  (I saw and heard preview clips, and know what these kind of things are like).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 10 November, 2011, 10:47:58 am »
I thought there was rather less violent DETH in the series as a whole than used to be the norm.  We've had far more failed hunts here than used to be the norm, and I'm thinking of nipping up to the Arctic with a bunch of flyers from local takeaways so that the cute1 ickle polar bears can get in a pizza.

1 - Yes, I know that they'll grow up to be remorseless killing machines the size of a Ford Fiesta but with big pointy teeth, but do anything to polar bear cubs and I'll shoot you in the face with very slow bullets.  Triangular ones.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #56 on: 12 November, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »
Squeamish, click thou not:

http://imgur.com/gallery/H2Vx4

Polar bears are BAMFs. :demon: :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #57 on: 12 November, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
I thought there was rather less violent DETH in the series as a whole than used to be the norm.  We've had far more failed hunts here than used to be the norm,
I think this is due to a desire to give a more accurate portrayal than was traditional. If you believed some old natural history programmes, you'd think that predators could kill at will, & if you thought about it, you'd wonder why they weren't all fat. There was a regrettable tendency to over-dramatise, & show the myth rather than the reality, e.g. the famous Disney lemming-throwing film.

For all the critics: just go & watch Nigel Marven, or that South African snake man, or the farce that Autumnwatch has become. At least Attenborough still makes programmes which are about the wildlife, rather than the presenters.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #58 on: 15 November, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »
that South African snake man

Austin Stevens? He's hilarious. I quite enjoy his programmes - for all the wrong reasons. I certainly don't consider them documentaries.

At least Attenborough still makes programmes which are about the wildlife, rather than the presenters.

This is why I like Steve Backshall - he's a personality, sure, but it's not all about him. No more than Attenborough cavorting with gorillas was about Attenborough rather than the gorillas, anyway.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 15 November, 2011, 06:50:17 pm »
On the other hand, it can enhance. Any shot of a penguin on land is improved by a slightly comic tune ...
Especially when something flies off with one of the chicks, then rips it to bits with his 5 mates.*

I am very against all this superfluous music, but it's much worse on nearly every other TV programme made this decade. Look at Dr Who - as soon as a dialogue finishes, the rousing orchestra grab their chance.

Yikes. Just saw the 'making of', and the Orcas lining up to do their wave thing at the camera boat...

I couldn't believe the reaction of the chap in the boat - along the lines of, "oh, bless. They want to eat us. How thrilling."

Just as well the whales didn't realise the boat was an inflatable. One bite and you're fresh meat mate.
That was just astonishing. They must have been very certain that Orcas don't eat humans. Or mad. Or snowblind?

*Classic behaviour of species Homo Sapiens, especially the male. The 'amusing' comment is intended to hide his disgust/fear of an experience.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 15 November, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »
I'm pretty immune to the natural need for stuff to eat other stuff, but the orcas and minke was an eye opener. I know lots of predators gang up and exhaust their prey, but somehow the minke and the orca seemed too related. It was like bullying.

The more I see of orcas, the more I realise they are the chimps of the sea - a reminder that animals have many of the less attractive qualities we used to think were unique to us....

I did like the polar bear drying himself on the ice though. And the muskox were cool!
I didn't like the birds grabbing the penguin chick either. I know everything has to eat something else to live, but  :(

I remember in the relatively early days of wildlife programmes (1962? I know I was very young), a team went to Africa to film wildebeest and stuff. They showed a lot of the Serengeti wildlife and that included (IIRC) the first ever film of a wildebeest being born. Sadly, within an hour it had been eaten by a load of hyenas.

The next bit of the programme showed the erstwhile commentary crew charging around with their Land Rover trying to run over the hyenas.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #61 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:58:18 pm »
Yesterdays Telegraph had some excellent photo's, there were two of a cat batting a mouse around. Not very pretty..

pic 1

pic 2
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #62 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:55:38 am »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #63 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:12:35 am »

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #64 on: 24 November, 2011, 10:39:37 am »
I am going to start a social networking website aimed specifically at wolves in order to prevent lone wolves and bison from having to fight it out like extras in a Jackie Chan movie.  wolfbook.com.  This time next year, Rodders, we'll be millionaires.

Also that penguin who ended up with her beak buried in the ice after failing to leave the sea on time and in budget was definitely doing some very bad peng-swears.  If Emperor Penguins could talk, they'd sound like Python's pepperpots.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 24 November, 2011, 10:54:21 am »
Also that penguin who ended up with her beak buried in the ice after failing to leave the sea on time and in budget was definitely doing some very bad peng-swears.
O sh__ ! I haven't watched this one yet, it sounds appaling.

Have the heartless bastards finally filmed something worse than the heron chick-things weighed down by stone ankle-bracelets?  :'(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #66 on: 24 November, 2011, 11:21:25 am »
O sh__ ! I haven't watched this one yet, it sounds appaling.

Have the heartless bastards finally filmed something worse than the heron chick-things weighed down by stone ankle-bracelets?  :'(

The peng was OK, just cross.  However the eider ducks freezing to DETH following fly south for the winter FAIL was a bit stressful.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #67 on: 25 November, 2011, 06:57:59 am »
The scene of wolf/bison fight to the death was among the most amazing natural history films I've seen. Really brought home the narrow line between predator and prey.

And I hope she didn't give the coward male wolf any!   >:(

LEE

« Reply #68 on: 25 November, 2011, 09:21:06 am »
The scene of wolf/bison fight to the death was among the most amazing natural history films I've seen. Really brought home the narrow line between predator and prey.

And I hope she didn't give the coward sensible male wolf any!   >:(

FTFY

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #69 on: 25 November, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »
The photography of the ice crystals forming is beautiful.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #70 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:13:41 pm »
The whole thing is beautiful - even the gore and death.

I'm quite in awe of the people who made the programme: it's always pretty easy to assume that Scott & co perished because they were underprepared. This series had brought home the fact that the polar environment is so desperately hostile that, even with modern buildings, clothing etc., the participants are still putting themselves at a quite significant risk.

gordon taylor

« Reply #71 on: 30 November, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »
Again, tonight - the one about the people.
Words fail me.
 :o

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #72 on: 30 November, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
Ten minutes into that, I concluded the most interesting animal on this planet is the Human. Fascinating, and sort of inspiring.

gordon taylor

« Reply #73 on: 01 December, 2011, 06:01:49 am »
Ten minutes into that, I concluded the most interesting animal on this planet is the Human. Fascinating, and sort of inspiring.

I'd love to see how my family would(n't) cope with living on the tundra in a reindeer skin hut on skids. Dinner darling? Have a slice of frozen fish.

« Reply #74 on: 01 December, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
I loved those huts on skids.  ;D

There was a programme on radio 4 during the week, with the comedian Richard Herring, and he was saying how we all think equality is a good thing. Then he pointed out the disparity in standards of living across the globe, and how equality ought really to mean we in the developed world lived much more simple and impoverished lives. And then aksed "Now how many of you want equality?". Neat point.

Actually, those people last night weren't all that poor: they had enough to eat, they had their families and their culture - although the last is probably under attack. But when you think how hard they work for it, compared to most of us...

I also enjoyed the gull egg harvesting chap turning his nose up at the chicken korma ready meal in the 'how it's made' bit - I didn't quite catch what he said though, I think it was subtitled or translated, but I missed it....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk