Author Topic: Adele  (Read 9362 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Adele
« Reply #50 on: 25 November, 2015, 02:04:33 pm »
It's basically middle-aged people saying "This modern music is all just noise, it was better in my day".  It's happened since time immemorial... and it's supposed to happen.

Only if you're extrapolating Adele to "all modern music", which I don't think really stands up against most of the comments in the thread (both from the gentlemen-of-a-certain-age and from the rest of the posters).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #51 on: 25 November, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »
It's basically middle-aged people saying "This modern music is all just noise, it was better in my day".  It's happened since time immemorial... and it's supposed to happen.

Only if you're extrapolating Adele to "all modern music", which I don't think really stands up against most of the comments in the thread (both from the gentlemen-of-a-certain-age and from the rest of the posters).

Dibdib, you're taking me too literally.  I was just quoting mine (and many others') parents as we sat and watch TOTP.  It was all my Dad could do not to stick his foot through the TV when anything remotely "punk", "New Romantic" or "Rock" came on (and that could be anything from The Sex Pistols to Elvis Costello to Duran Duran to The Rolling Stones, basically anything that wasn't The New Seekers actually).

There are thousands of artists who aren't critically acclaimed, don't write and sing their own material whilst in their teens, don't win Oscars for their music, don't win 10 Grammys, 2 Ivor Novellos, 13 Billboards, ..etc etc.. (and she did this when she was 18-21 years old remember).

Her 3rd album is breaking records globally her previous albums set.

What I'm saying is that, if you don't like her "screeching" (I can't say I ever heard her screetch) then you may be out of touch with what constitutes popular music nowadays.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #52 on: 25 November, 2015, 03:50:39 pm »
I only like un-popular music.
38 years old and still miss the John Peel show.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 25 November, 2015, 03:59:12 pm »
I was just quoting mine (and many others') parents as we sat and watch TOTP.  It was all my Dad could do not to stick his foot through the TV...

Pretty good portrait of mine too.  TBH I mostly disliked a lot of the stuff as well.  So did my elder sister but she pretended to like it all just to get up his nose.

Later on, when I was into Steeleye Span, I once played my parents a track and he said "you have to realise that to us it's just noise".

What I'm saying is that, if you don't like her "screeching" (I can't say I ever heard her screetch) then you may be out of touch with what constitutes popular music nowadays.

I don't find much impetus to be in touch with it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #54 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:47:18 pm »
Dibdib, you're taking me too literally.  I was just quoting mine (and many others') parents as we sat and watch TOTP.  It was all my Dad could do not to stick his foot through the TV when anything remotely "punk", "New Romantic" or "Rock" came on (and that could be anything from The Sex Pistols to Elvis Costello to Duran Duran to The Rolling Stones, basically anything that wasn't The New Seekers actually).

Although everyone's Dad had a sudden change of heart if Blondie happened to have a single in the charts that week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:50:06 pm »
If Adele is what the kids are listening to, they're even duller and less reactionary these days than I thought they were.  It's as if my lot were still listening to The Carpenters in the 1980s.  It's Mother's Day present music.  Granny birthday music.  Dinner party music  ;)

As for Yes...their most famous record is 99% Trevor Horn waving his massive synthesiser about, and totally unrepresentative.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #56 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »
You missed out "they're all on drugs, look at the state of them" and "you can't hear the words."

Although everyone's Dad had a sudden change of heart if Blondie happened to have a single in the charts that week.
Especially if Debbie Harry was wearing boots.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:36:49 pm »
You missed out "they're all on drugs, look at the state of them" and "you can't hear the words."

In my day they all had AIDS as a result of the afore-mentioned drugs (and/or the implied homosexual shenanigans that's somehow a requirement for being a pop star), and once I realised the words were available on teletext page 888, TOTP became compulsive family viewing.

Jakob

« Reply #58 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:57:50 am »

There are thousands of artists who aren't critically acclaimed, don't write and sing their own material whilst in their teens, don't win Oscars for their music, don't win 10 Grammys, 2 Ivor Novellos, 13 Billboards, ..etc etc.. (and she did this when she was 18-21 years old remember).

Popularity is no guarantee of quality. I happily admit being out of touch with 'pop'...Always have been. As a teenager, I was mostly listening to skate punk and hip-hop, whilst everyone was busy with Duran-Duran, etc. These days, I mostly listen to jazz.

Andrew

« Reply #59 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:57:12 am »
In the interests of, um, something... self advancement???.... I listened to 21 last night. I'd say the album is intended as a platform for Adele's voice, a showcase. Personally, I thought she had a good voice. Not full and lacking in places but perhaps that will, or has already, come. There wasn't  what I would call screeching and it was mercifully free of the godawful warbling that some singers seem to feel obliged to do in the name of singing.

However, I felt her voice generally lacked emotion (a couple of tracks excepted) and the album didn't emplore me to listen. It was safe easy listening. I can see what Damon Albarn might have been meaning. To be honest, it did surprise me. On the basis of the couple of songs that caught my ear several years ago, I was expecting more from the album. It was nothing more than contract fulfillment with capable session musicians, no heart nor soul.

« Reply #60 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:42:39 am »

this video of her taking part in an adele look-alike competition is quite entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL_yIBWagYVjyyqx_qPkbat5zufWZOyZEZ&v=OHXjxWaQs9o

I've finally watched this, and I'm obviously missing something. Did the BBC really run an entire fake talent show solely for the purpose of tricking half-a-dozen people-who-have-a-second-job-impersonating-Adele-just-to-make-ends-meet, just so that we can laugh at the poor suckers?

Quite like Adele's music though (aged 35 years and 350 days)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #61 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:17:04 am »
Popularity is no guarantee of quality.

True, Boyzone for example, more #1 singles than anyone I think, but Boyzone didn't pick up any Oscars, Grammys or Novellos.

There's popular, basically any combination of teenage boys, (from solo to five of them, singing covers), and there's popular AND critically acclaimed by peers.
Singer song-writers usually pick up the gongs. Adele is no exception.

Roger, please don't dis' the Carpenters, they did "Goodbye to Love" so I forgive them the "interplanetary craft" thing.  Extraordinarily beautiful, and distinctive, voice (plus a great guitar solo in the aforementioned song).

As for Debbie Harry, I still remember the moment she appeared on TOTP, it's burnt into my synapses.  Only much later did I realise she was a "war baby" and actually my Dad's age.
It took way too long for Debbie Harry's actual talent to be recognised on its own merit I think. 

But that's another thread, sigh.. (off to watch "The Hardest Part" on Youtube).

« Reply #62 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »

Especially if Debbie Harry was wearing boots.

Anna bin-bag.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #63 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:40:25 pm »
Popularity is no guarantee of quality.

True, Boyzone for example, more #1 singles than anyone I think, but Boyzone didn't pick up any Oscars, Grammys or Novellos.

There's popular, basically any combination of teenage boys, (from solo to five of them, singing covers), and there's popular AND critically acclaimed by peers.
Singer song-writers usually pick up the gongs. Adele is no exception.

Roger, please don't dis' the Carpenters, they did "Goodbye to Love" so I forgive them the "interplanetary craft" thing.  Extraordinarily beautiful, and distinctive, voice (plus a great guitar solo in the aforementioned song).

As for Debbie Harry, I still remember the moment she appeared on TOTP, it's burnt into my synapses.  Only much later did I realise she was a "war baby" and actually my Dad's age.
It took way too long for Debbie Harry's actual talent to be recognised on its own merit I think. 

But that's another thread, sigh.. (off to watch "The Hardest Part" on Youtube).

The late Tony Peluso was the soloist on 'Goodbye to Love' - and the DJ on the opening to 'Calling Occupants', which was a song by Klaatu that used to be played every night at the start of the late night show on Radio Caroline. Apart from the DJ intro, the Carpenters' arrangement was almost identical to Klaatu's. But the Carpenters used an orchestra and something over 100 musicians wher Klaatu used a couple of synths!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #64 on: 26 November, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »
.... 'Calling Occupants', which was a song by Klaatu

Surely they don't boast about that.  Let's not talk of that song again, on this thread, or anywhere else (lest Internet traffic statistics encourage them to write a follow-up).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #65 on: 26 November, 2015, 03:27:11 pm »
.... 'Calling Occupants', which was a song by Klaatu

Surely they don't boast about that.  Let's not talk of that song again, on this thread, or anywhere else (lest Internet traffic statistics encourage them to write a follow-up).

I have the album. I can send you an MP3 of it if you like....! ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #66 on: 26 November, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »
And back then there was an urban legend that Klaatu were actually The Beatle reformed.  Srsly.

The most successful artiste in BRITISH chart history, when measured by the sheer volume of charting albums and singles rather than sales, is Teh QUO.  In USAnia they are regarded as one hit wonders.  Make of that what you will.

Jakob

« Reply #67 on: 26 November, 2015, 06:43:27 pm »
This is quite awesome, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yL7VP4-kP4

« Reply #68 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:54:37 pm »
Heard a song off the new '25' album today on the radio ..... it was like nails being dragged down a blackboard.  Dreadful.

« Reply #69 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »
That's the reaction I have to Florence Welch's voice. I think Adele has a fine voice. I like quite a lot of her songs and have a couple on my MP3 player.

I've never met a penguins I didn't like, and will watch University Challenge when it's on. And I like riding a bike.

Simon, 53.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #70 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:29:06 pm »
Adele was on a BBC special this week and her voice sounded rubbish.  She sounds great on her recordings though.

I agree about Florence.  Couldn't hold a note in a bucket. 
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #71 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:40:56 pm »
I've never met a penguins I didn't like, and will watch University Challenge when it's on. And I like riding a bike.

In the 1980s, if Belvin Barg found himself short of material for The South Bank Show he could always rely on the Penguin CafĂ© Orchestra for something to fill the slot.  Few of their tracks have singing on them; those that do probably shouldn't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:47:24 pm »
Unlike Adele I've actually heard of, and indeed heard, Florence.  She's not bad, and has some good songs.  But she's missed her real calling, which is being a Doctor Who companion.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #73 on: 27 November, 2015, 06:28:23 pm »
I think it's a measure of how bad things have got that Florence and the Machine are even stars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrew

« Reply #74 on: 27 November, 2015, 07:18:32 pm »
Someone I know knows Florence's dad, family friends, so knew Florence as she was growing up. When he told me, I hadn't a clue who he was talking about. The name Florence makes me think of The Magic Roundabout before anything else.  Thing is, I can't remember who it was that told me. Is that the Florence effect?

I'm being slightly disingenuous, I know she took someone or others place at, um, was it Glastonbury (?) this year. I know, I'm sounding like my dad. :(