Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575775 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #75 on: 06 May, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
The only problem I had with Ecover was the price.  Being a skinflint I am thus obliged to use Ariel, coz my feet developed a sudden aversion to Persil in 2006.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #76 on: 06 May, 2011, 12:04:10 pm »
Chuffing sore foot arches.   >:(  Looks like I'll need to visit the nhs podiatrist for them to have a poke around at my feet to see what they need to do.....(and hopefully not send me to a private podiatrist at £100 a visit.....)

you are on dodgy ground on a couple of counts, old thing. 

a) see an NHS podiatrist, ha ha you must be joking!  Are you already dead, or diabetic?  If not, forget it.

b) a private one costing £100!!  I know one round here that costs £18 (but I get it free 'cos I'm married to her. )   Some are ripoffs, but £100 is unheard of.

Well, my mother went private to get orthotics for her feet, didn't get much change out of £300 for her custom made carbon fibre orthotics    :o

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #77 on: 06 May, 2011, 12:05:03 pm »
No coffee today so far, and I feel like the duracell bunny who's batteries have ran out.... zzzzzzz  :P

« Reply #78 on: 06 May, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »
Bloody knee. Grumble grumble

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #79 on: 06 May, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
We're Ecover liquid / wash ball users.   Nobody complained at the NTRWCW but maybe you were all being polite  :P

I must admit that I've rejected a B&B because of the very strong smell of the laundry detergent on the bedding.

Most washing powders are ok on other people's clothes, we only tend to notice it on things we're sleeping on like your aforementioned B&B and things Kim or I might wear.  It's one of those not worth the allergy risks, I was in 1995 allergic to Fairy powder, creeping rash of d00m.  The recipe may have changed but I'd rather not risk it so I simply avoid on principle.  Kim gets eczema probably related to her asthma so we try not to meddle with stuff we don't know about. 

We stick to supermarket brand fake-persil which seems to work and not kill either of us and if they stop making it or change recipes we inevitably have great fun trying to find a suitable replacement.   We halve the recommended amount of powder in our washes and have at times double rinsed everything. 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #80 on: 06 May, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »
Mozilla!  Why have you moved the "Home" button in FF4?  There was nothing wrong with leaving it where it was.

« Reply #81 on: 06 May, 2011, 03:41:28 pm »
We're Ecover liquid / wash ball users.   Nobody complained at the NTRWCW but maybe you were all being polite  :P

I must admit that I've rejected a B&B because of the very strong smell of the laundry detergent on the bedding.

Most washing powders are ok on other people's clothes, we only tend to notice it on things we're sleeping on like your aforementioned B&B and things Kim or I might wear.  It's one of those not worth the allergy risks, I was in 1995 allergic to Fairy powder, creeping rash of d00m.  The recipe may have changed but I'd rather not risk it so I simply avoid on principle.  Kim gets eczema probably related to her asthma so we try not to meddle with stuff we don't know about. 

We stick to supermarket brand fake-persil which seems to work and not kill either of us and if they stop making it or change recipes we inevitably have great fun trying to find a suitable replacement.   We halve the recommended amount of powder in our washes and have at times double rinsed everything. 

My bold: - we just use Tesco non-bio tablets (essentially compressed powder) and we use one not two per wash. With the efficiency of washing we get from our machine (a Bosch, which is noticeably better then the preceeding Hoover and Zanussi ones) this is sufficient for almost everything - and at 30 degrees as well. And of cousre it's a non-perfumed powder.  I'm guessing that the item I bought must have been in some variant of Persil or Aeriel, but one of our neighbours uses it - we can smell their washing on the line from a range of 10m!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #82 on: 06 May, 2011, 04:46:48 pm »
The pub at Codsall Station: When you incorrectly pour the wrong pint and have this politely pointed out to you, you should not then stare accusingly and chunter to make it obvious you didn't believe us. Had you been paying attention and not ignoring us & talking to locals, you would have seen that you poured the majority of the pint from the tap adjacent to the mild and then topped up from the mild tap. You were too deep in conversation to either notice this or allow us to tell you. "See, the mild tap's dripping..." is a fail. "Oh, did I? How silly of me, let me get you your pint" would be a pass or at least non-fail.

And waitress, when we jokingly apologise for making you walk all the 20 yards to the conservatory to bring us your (distinctly average) meals, don't then miserably say "Yeah, and I had to take my apron off too!" Talk about a miserable pair. I shan't be going back in a hurry however good the Holden's beer is.

That's The Station at Codsall, in case anyone's in the vicinity.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #83 on: 06 May, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »
Chuffing sore foot arches.   >:(  Looks like I'll need to visit the nhs podiatrist for them to have a poke around at my feet to see what they need to do.....(and hopefully not send me to a private podiatrist at £100 a visit.....)

you are on dodgy ground on a couple of counts, old thing. 

a) see an NHS podiatrist, ha ha you must be joking!  Are you already dead, or diabetic?  If not, forget it.

b) a private one costing £100!!  I know one round here that costs £18 (but I get it free 'cos I'm married to her. )   Some are ripoffs, but £100 is unheard of.

Well, my mother went private to get orthotics for her feet, didn't get much change out of £300 for her custom made carbon fibre orthotics    :o

Ah, well, you'll always have to pay for your orthotics, at "cost plus" (and if you must have carbon fibre... ;D).  A straightforward consultation or treatment session is usually rather better value than half an hour of a garage's labour.
Wombat

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #84 on: 07 May, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »
It's truly a marvel the way in which the human species adapts & evolves to it's environment.......
eyes that can see round corners (at the expense of near-vision & spatial awareness :-\)
the strength to compress a ton of metal to reduce it's width by a metre or more(a.k.a. left hook & kerb-squeeze)
it's lifebreathtaking.

« Reply #85 on: 07 May, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »
Brittany Ferries: OK, it is August, but £400 for 3 people and their bikes to Normandy?

Norfolk Line only want £72 for a car & 9 passengers fro a Dover to Dunkirk return the same month.

Rob dogs!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #86 on: 08 May, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »
D4 DCG
Do NOT pass cyclists within,literally, a couple of inches doing,I would estimate,in excess of 60mph in a 40mph zone with one hand firmly planted on the horn as you approach earth gravity escape speed.
You obviously don't use your eyes whilst driving so if we meet face to face I'm going to poke your f**king eyes out.
You are an excellent example of the phrase JerkInAMerc.
Get a narrower car.I suggest a Tamiya 1/35th scale model & use public transport.
The roads would be safer.

That easily remembered/recognised number plate will be disadvantageous....to you.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #87 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
Why is it that the pepperoni slices they put on top of pizzas don't stay stuck on when you pick up a piece.

I now have a  slice of pepperoni shaped/sized fatty mark on the front of my puce coloured cycling jersey !
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #88 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »
Why is it that the pepperoni slices they put on top of pizzas don't stay stuck on when you pick up a piece.

I now have a  slice of pepperoni shaped/sized fatty mark on the front of my puce coloured cycling jersey !

I think you've given your own answer. Grease/fat exudes from sausage when heated and prevents sausage sticking to anything, buggrit

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #89 on: 08 May, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »
grrrrr. Murdering Syrian government. Always have been always will be. grr.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #90 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:11:06 am »

I used to get a slight rash when wearing clothes washed in enzyme-ridden bio powder next to the skin. Sainsbury's & Tesco own brand non-bio powder don't have the same effect.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #91 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:48:27 pm »
Lady on the train:

I know I'm not a parent, and there are many ways to bring up children and all that, but I can't help thinking that a child old enough to use the phrase "point Percy at the porcelain" with regard to going to the toilet, is too old to still be breastfeeding....

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #92 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »
:sick: ^

« Reply #93 on: 09 May, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »

Yeah. Made me glad I'd moved from the one unreserved seat of the block of 4 so that the family could sit together....

I wasn't sure that's what she was doing (I was sitting behind them) until she moved the child over and he reached into her top to get the other one out...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #94 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:03:28 pm »
Why did the rain and head wind have to start just as I started to climb kirkstone. Mind otherts from the group are on helvelan and others reported hail in coniston.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #95 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:05:38 pm »

Yeah. Made me glad I'd moved from the one unreserved seat of the block of 4 so that the family could sit together....

I wasn't sure that's what she was doing (I was sitting behind them) until she moved the child over and he reached into her top to get the other one out...

Actually, EldestCub was breastfed until he was more than capable of fairly complex language stuff.  About 3.  And it utterly broke my heart that the littly gave up (following a mildly traumatic biting incident) by the time he was one.

But I do know a few lentil-left families with children who have always been encouraged to "express themselves" and who did extended breastfeeding that I REALLY wouldn't have wanted to sit with on a train.  And the one and only time that I "asked permission" to bf one of my children was when I had a tired, mildly unwell and hungry baby who needed feeding and I was on an overfull train sitting next to a middle-aged chap who was travelling alone.  In all honesty, I'd have carried on regardless had he objected - but by asking I gave him the opportunity for a tactical withdrawal or averting of eyes if he wanted, since the nature of cattle-class Virgin Trains is that you are rather cosy with your neighbour....

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #96 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:06:13 pm »

Bitty?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #97 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:14:15 am »
If you're going to drive with your headlights on during the day, please have the good manners to ensure that they're both working.

Flange.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #98 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:44:29 am »
After three month's use it has become apparent to me that the webby user interface for our Helldesk systems was designed by that clown who used to star in the BBC test card.

Si_Co

« Reply #99 on: 10 May, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »
I give up.

The response "I'm sure we left it over there" does not fill me with confidence.

It's an autoclave with 3 cubic metre capacity that takes four guys to move, it's not like it's going to have slipped down the back of the sofa  ::-)