Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by Tim Hall on Today at 07:22:09 am »
I think the best mill was at Buckland, which is a tiny windmill in the back garden of a house. Built around 1850ish to 1870ish it was used to power a saw mill. We were standing outside the house chatting when the owner popped his head out and asked if we'd like a look round. What a top bloke!
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by Blodwyn Pig on Today at 07:07:05 am »
Out yesterday with the Tandem Club on a ride wot I organised, thanks to the inspiration and hints from My Young Lady.

It was National Mills weekend, so we visited 9 water and wind mills, one of which wasn't there anymore. Great fun in the sunshine, sadly Thee Pubbe I'd chosen for lunch decided to have a barbecue rather than provide the Food of Champions as I'd hoped. No matter. Long day, poxy puncture near the end, where I discovered the spare tube I'd put in my pannier was the wrong size.
76km plus a bit to and from the start. 73km/h as we whizzed down Scott's Hill.

Sorry to have missed this, but I had booked the Hop Garden Audax.  Pictures are very interesting. I do like mills, my Great grandfather had a windmill at Petham, in Kent, that unfortunately, like a lot of mills, burnt down, and the house my father grew up in, and my grandmother lived until mid 90’s was adjacent to a mill pond, and derelict water mill, in Sturry , Kent. I have an excellent book of my fathers, ‘windmills and water mills of Kent’  whereby photos of mills from the late 1880’s were compared adajacent to later photos of 1930’s iirc (maybe 50’s, ) from a similar view point , very sad to see the decline.

Good job that P* didn’t happen at 73km/hr…  ::-)
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 07:02:17 am »
It's Grim Up North - Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
The Knowledge / Re: Tyre width
« Last post by Blodwyn Pig on Today at 06:55:01 am »
Grunhilda has 38mm (1.5) Marathon Greenguards front and rear (26” and 20”) , and Olive has, at present a 32mm green guard on the rear and an earlier incarnation of marathon in 28mm on the front. Trying to use up my old tyres, but when you want to, they don’t seem to wear out!  About to refit last summers 35mm Marathon supremes fr and rr to Olive, for the upcoming wee Belgium tour. Those 28mm fronts do seem very harsh tho.
Gallery / Re: Very satisfying Odo reading
« Last post by IanDG on Today at 06:44:45 am »
Always seem to zero the odo when I make adjustments for time/tyre size etc. Here's an old vmax (kph)

50mph+  vmax by ian, on Flickr
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 06:08:18 am »
Happy Hour - The Beautiful South
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 06:03:41 am »
Wordle 1,060 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#LeMOT 857 4/6

🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟦⬜⬜🟧⬜
⬜🟦🟦🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
#LeMotLeJeu

https://www.solitaire-play.com/lemot/
The Knowledge / Re: Tyre width
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 02:58:18 am »
Were we wrong in the 1980s to assume 18mm tyres would be faster than wider ones? 

Yes.

J
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 01:44:11 am »
Drunk By Noon ~ The Handsome Family
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 01:42:15 am »
The day after we of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party seize control of the means of production we will be tasking the Sweeney with tracking down the people who:
  • Pluck items from supermarket shelves, and
  • Peer at them myopically, and
  • Put them back somewhere other than where they originated
and smashing up their living rooms on a basis both frequent and regular until they get the message and emigrate.
Did somebody inadvertently buy the wrong (miss-shelved) product?

Oh nonononononononoyes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10