Author Topic: problems whelping  (Read 920 times)

problems whelping
« on: 13 May, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »
well what a night, one of our dogs Roxy the poodle had her litter, to start with we think she's about a week late but actually we thought she hadn't taken, she was not getting big and she even stood for the dog for quite a long time after her apparant season, so we just put it down to a phantom pregnancy and was preparing to have her looked at/ checked over, anyhow when I went to feed round yesterday evening I could hear an odd noise sounded like a cat, on looking I could see a very wet and cold pup on the floor and a rather unimpressed Roxy at the opposite end of the barn, so a quick towel down got the pup warmed up and dry, then we brought her in, by which time she had had another, either way she was denying all knowledge of them. so we now have her installed in a whelping box next to the oven, she has 5 pups but some of them are a bit slow and there is one that is slow and small, we've given them some colostrum and some honey mixed with water to get their blood sugar levels up and all seem ok at the moment, however there does appear to be 2 that have no ear holes the ear flaps are there just no holes ??
So these could be premature which would mean she took the first time with Floyd and also later on and we're talking 2 or 3 weeks later
I've seen pure bred Labs with a couple of collie x's in the same litter due to a collie getting to the bitch within a day or two of the lab
but this is a first for me, if that is whats happened, (any thought's Feline)
anyway at the moment we still have all 5 still alive so fingers crossed, not sure about the ones with no ear holes,
oh yeah this started at 5.30pm and finished around 2 am,