Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356259 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2000 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:24:18 pm »
A short walk in a field and some comedy off-roading netted three awkward tiles today.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2001 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:26:27 pm »

On Friday I did a DIY 200, from Amsterdam to Roermond. I followed a previous ride's route but one tile over. I'll do something similar again in a few weeks, but one tile over again. This should get me a 3 tile wide strip all the way from Noord Holland, to Limburg. If I do it properly. Meaning my cluster will reach all the way to the hills.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2002 on: 30 May, 2021, 11:50:08 pm »

On Friday I did a DIY 200, from Amsterdam to Roermond. I followed a previous ride's route but one tile over. I'll do something similar again in a few weeks, but one tile over again. This should get me a 3 tile wide strip all the way from Noord Holland, to Limburg. If I do it properly. Meaning my cluster will reach all the way to the hills.

J

That's what I prefer as well, multiple parallel rides and not zigzagging around.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2003 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:09:10 am »

J
I’ll offer you a cup of tea next time if the rules allow it!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2004 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:38:34 am »

I'm looking forward to when I can cross that border again. I need some good cake... and to finally take you up on your kind offers.

J
--

« Reply #2005 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:03:45 am »
Over to Lanark on the good bike as summer has arrived, wrong tyres for the lanes . Clements Strada lgg roll well but the sidewalls are paper thin, clipped a stone on a corner .  Patched the split up with a few puncture repair patches, took it easy for the rest of the run as i was only 10 km out. 59 tiles for the day, and 115 kms zigzagging about to catch them.

« Reply #2006 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:28:22 am »

I'm looking forward to when I can cross that border again. I need some good cake... and to finally take you up on your kind offers.

J

You can now, for a maximum of 12 hours. There's an exception in the quarantaine law if you stay less than 12 hours in the high risk area (Dutch rules). The German RKI ruled that the Netherlands isn't a high risk area anymore so you may enter Germany for a maximum of 24 hours without testing.
Once the RIVM deems Germany safe again (which they should have done already since the amount of German Covid cases per capita is about 1/4 of the Dutch) you can visit Germany for up to 24 hours without testing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2007 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:32:51 am »

You can now, for a maximum of 12 hours. There's an exception in the quarantaine law if you stay less than 12 hours in the high risk area (Dutch rules). The German RKI ruled that the Netherlands isn't a high risk area anymore so you may enter Germany for a maximum of 24 hours without testing.
Once the RIVM deems Germany safe again (which they should have done already since the amount of German Covid cases per capita is about 1/4 of the Dutch) you can visit Germany for up to 24 hours without testing.

But the people I want to visit have not yet been fully vaxxed, and aren't Germany requiring proof of vax to access things like cafes?

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2008 on: 31 May, 2021, 12:24:08 pm »

But the people I want to visit have not yet been fully vaxxed, and aren't Germany requiring proof of vax to access things like cafes?

J
Nope, we are now open again in a lot of Nordrhein-Westfalen, so sitting outside and eating is fine (assuming the cafes are still in existence!)

Where I am in Kreis Viersen everything opened up on the 28th. I cycled to Kempen for ice cream last night and it was so wonderful to see all the tables outside, but surprisingly not very busy so far.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2009 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:52:23 pm »
You can end up visiting some unusual places, an old open cast mine returning to nature. The mine is a loch now.

« Reply #2010 on: 01 June, 2021, 01:32:56 pm »
That's what I prefer as well, multiple parallel rides and not zigzagging around.
Zigzagging is often the only option in many places. It gets tricky working out efficient routes at times.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2011 on: 01 June, 2021, 01:36:26 pm »
You can end up visiting some unusual places, an old open cast mine returning to nature. The mine is a loch now.
There's loads of old mining towns around these parts. Only evidence is obligatory half winding wheels at side of road and loads of pretty country parks that used to be polluting pits.
The Tile Collector

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #2012 on: 02 June, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »
I have an isolated group of tiles (in SW Scotland).  Is there a way to get the VV metrics (tiles, max square, cluster) of this isolated group ?  It would give a measure of achievement on a forthcoming visit.  Thanks.

« Reply #2013 on: 02 June, 2021, 07:01:32 pm »
I have an isolated group of tiles (in SW Scotland).  Is there a way to get the VV metrics (tiles, max square, cluster) of this isolated group ?  It would give a measure of achievement on a forthcoming visit.  Thanks.
You can filter the rides by activity ID, but that'll only give you a visual I think, so some counting would be involved.

This weekend's ride wasn't as much of a potential catalyst to connecting rides as I had hoped.

« Reply #2014 on: 03 June, 2021, 05:43:57 pm »
You can filter by date if you did them in one go. I do that with my European/North American totals.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #2015 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:40:33 am »
You can filter by date if you did them in one go. I do that with my European/North American totals.

Dale & Solocle thanks for the tips.

The solution I came up with was to rename the relevant rides in strava to contain a common string.  Then by filtering on activity ID in VV using that string I could get the stats for that group of rides on the activities>map screen from the icons on the side bar.  Thankfully it was only 17 rides, a larger number would have been tedious.

Kirkcudbright Tiles by rfwatson, on Flickr

Tiles = 301
Max square = 6
Cluster = 76

Robert

« Reply #2016 on: 04 June, 2021, 10:28:32 am »

Tiles = 301
Max square = 6
Cluster = 76

Robert

I'm going to that precise area of Galloway for the weekend. My first visit, and will only be on foot, so not many tiles expected.

Hope you enjoy

« Reply #2017 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:59:35 pm »

Tiles = 301
Max square = 6
Cluster = 76

Robert

I'm going to that precise area of Galloway for the weekend. My first visit, and will only be on foot, so not many tiles expected.

Hope you enjoy

Dumfries and Galloway has a good network of signed walking paths for the MTB and the road cycling is ace. I am looking at trying to link the Solway to my cluster.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2018 on: 05 June, 2021, 08:00:24 pm »
6 new tiles filled in a Swiss cheese hole in the Northron Wastes and upped the cluster to 1855 (expected) and the square to 22 (bonus!) :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2019 on: 05 June, 2021, 10:17:47 pm »

Started the day with:

10917 tiles
Max square 24x24
Max Cluster: 1391

Did a 72k ride from station to station.

Ended up with:

11009 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max cluster 1422

Have now completed everything north of the river and east or Schoonhoven. I'm likely to hit up against the tile in the middle of the Gooimeer. That's gonna require swimming. Will try to bag it one day this summer.

J

Edit, I think the starting numbers may be those from before my 200 last Friday, rather after. Can't seem to find the intermediate data...
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2020 on: 08 June, 2021, 11:16:04 pm »
Bit of a Hike this evening to claim a couple of tiles in the Lomonds I'd somehow never been down on the MTB.
I need to knock out 5 tiles around 'Muchty to get my square bigger as there's a bit of a problem with one of the Loch Leven Squares.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2021 on: 10 June, 2021, 09:48:44 pm »

Did a 200k DIY, with some of the route one tile over from where I've been before.

The result is:

11111 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1429

Wasn't intending for any specific number. But the 11111 amused me.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2022 on: 12 June, 2021, 02:42:24 pm »
Think I upped my square last night by claiming a tile in strath ore, I'd forgotten that's where the pit was that Glenrothes was built for.

Which also led me down the rabbit hole of "why the fuck is it called Glenrothes when the river is the leven".

It's a nod to the landowner, which I also discovered is why Leslie is called Leslie.

Now I need to find out why one of the farms was called Macedonia.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2023 on: 12 June, 2021, 03:42:38 pm »
Not a convincing right of way, part n. I was trying to avoid too much walking. #failed

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2024 on: 12 June, 2021, 07:13:22 pm »

Today I spent 10km rising gravel, and pushing my bike through deep sand. Looking at how others to the same tile, i had a look on the ride every tile site. One of the random 5 rides it picks is this one:

https://www.strava.com/activities/730779698

I'm getting really fed up with people cheating like this...

J
--