Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356058 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2700 on: 30 May, 2023, 10:18:38 am »
Thanks. I was worried about claiming tiles that I shouldn't have.
What Pingu said. Not sure how you checked, but when I set up Squadrats it scanned my entire history and alerted me to a couple of weird ones (see reply #2635!)

« Reply #2701 on: 01 June, 2023, 01:58:35 pm »
Yesterday, a loop of new tiles along the seafront of the New Forest.

Today, I plan a figure 8 loop to fill the interior.

Yes, I do have designs on the IOW...

« Reply #2702 on: 01 June, 2023, 02:01:53 pm »
Yesterday, a loop of new tiles along the seafront of the New Forest.

Today, I plan a figure 8 loop to fill the interior.

Yes, I do have designs on the IOW...
Nice one, I did Hurst Point very recently. Just need some more Isle of Wight riding to connect it all up now!

« Reply #2703 on: 01 June, 2023, 04:26:03 pm »
Nice one, I did Hurst Point very recently. Just need some more Isle of Wight riding to connect it all up now!
It isn't quite that straightforward to jump the cluster across, as this tile here is key:

Should be a fairly straightforward Kayak from Norton, but this is the Solent we're talking about...

« Reply #2704 on: 01 June, 2023, 05:10:25 pm »
It isn't quite that straightforward to jump the cluster across, as this tile here is key:

Should be a fairly straightforward Kayak from Norton, but this is the Solent we're talking about...
Oh blimey ok thanks for pointing that out, I thought it was possible via the three tiles in a reverse L-shape below

« Reply #2705 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:50:00 am »
Swim. Or wade when the tide's out.

« Reply #2706 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:51:20 am »
Oh blimey ok thanks for pointing that out, I thought it was possible via the three tiles in a reverse L-shape below
The fundamental problem is that it's just not quite wide enough.

But a 400m out-and-back Kayak from the beach resolves that. Still means going 200 metres from the shore, which is a little way out! You can reduce it to 180 metres a little further west.

Did fill out the interior yesterday evening:

« Reply #2707 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:54:18 am »
Lovely part of the world.  Lived in Southampton in my pre-tiling days and while I didn't like the city, the New Forest was a lovely escape- especially out of season.

Good luck with the paddling - safety in numbers a good bet- a VV kayak trip would be a good idea :-)

« Reply #2708 on: 02 June, 2023, 11:48:50 am »
Lovely part of the world.  Lived in Southampton in my pre-tiling days and while I didn't like the city, the New Forest was a lovely escape- especially out of season.

Good luck with the paddling - safety in numbers a good bet- a VV kayak trip would be a good idea :-)
May well be, definitely one to work up to as a beginner!

As for the Isle of Wight itself, not too hard. There's probably a more efficient route, but :):

« Reply #2709 on: 02 June, 2023, 11:53:34 am »
Swim. Or wade when the tide's out.

It's Row Vs Wade all over again.

« Reply #2710 on: 02 June, 2023, 12:52:59 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #2711 on: 03 June, 2023, 06:25:31 pm »
Well, having made moves on Salisbury from the south, I turned my attention to the west. One minor problem, a distinct lack of roads.

Roads?  Where we're going, we don't need roads!

The Old Shaston Drove ridgeway...  that's just awfully convenient for tiling, isn't it. Except I feel like I'd need a mountain bike. Oh wait, I have one that needs a real maiden voyage.

Once up the initial climb, it was pretty much plain sailing.

Unique perspective on the Fovant Badges:

Short spur to pick up two more tiles:

Main job done.

But since trains were... sparse today, I had a bit of time to kill, so after a well deserved drink (or two - coke and alcohol free cider), I nabbed two tiles to the north of Salisbury. And ended up passing the Skripal House.

« Reply #2712 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:44:27 am »
247 new tiles while taking part in TransScotlans23

11641 tiles
Max square 18x18 still!
Max Cluster: 848 
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2713 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:49:20 am »

11641 tiles
Max square 18x18 still!
Nice one, looked an interesting ride. Would you mind linking to your profile? I'd really like to see how you've coloured in the Borders.

« Reply #2714 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:27:23 am »

11641 tiles
Max square 18x18 still!
Nice one, looked an interesting ride. Would you mind linking to your profile? I'd really like to see how you've coloured in the Borders.

Let me know if this doesn't work

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/206361/activities?o=0:1&f=0:-1000000|1000000,1:All,5:-1000000|1000000,6:-1000000|1000000&c=0,0,5,6,9
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2715 on: 07 June, 2023, 12:20:58 pm »

11641 tiles
Max square 18x18 still!

Let me know if this doesn't work

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/206361/activities?o=0:1&f=0:-1000000|1000000,1:All,5:-1000000|1000000,6:-1000000|1000000&c=0,0,5,6,9
:thumbsup:

« Reply #2716 on: 07 June, 2023, 04:51:55 pm »

11641 tiles
Max square 18x18 still!
I've coloured it in not very well, there's not many roads, and i can't be arsed hiking through fields
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2717 on: 11 June, 2023, 10:20:51 am »
It's taken a while this year with one thing (weather) and another (dentist) but I finally got a tiley, bikepackingy trip to "the mainland".
Sorting things at the last minute as travel and the weather came together I just did an Aberdeen-Angus-Perth-Angus-Aberdeen base, with a few rest days at my pal's house.

That made it not too hard to tidy up a lot of the missed tiles on the way and clear the whole Fetteresso Forest squares, and the Perth out and back pushed the corridor down there.
One of the "rest days" ended up being a Tarfside-Aboyne-Tarfside drove road loop (Firmounth and Fungle roads), which as it turns out isn't really gravel bike territory  :facepalm:

Before/After tiles and a photodump selection. Let me know if the photos don't show up - I don't do this often enough to remember the coding very well  >:(

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2718 on: 11 June, 2023, 10:45:28 am »
Well done  :thumbsup: And lovely panoramas! (I especially like the 2nd and 4th one)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2719 on: 11 June, 2023, 12:11:20 pm »
Before/After tiles and a photodump selection. Let me know if the photos don't show up - I don't do this often enough to remember the coding very well  >:(

Photos aren't working for me :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2720 on: 11 June, 2023, 02:45:37 pm »

Photos aren't working for me :(

J

+1

« Reply #2721 on: 11 June, 2023, 03:23:36 pm »
OK, iIve tried a different another way.... Seems hopeful... works here signed out and in incognito, but Google Photos sure puts up a fight :S

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2722 on: 11 June, 2023, 03:39:55 pm »
 :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2723 on: 11 June, 2023, 03:44:47 pm »

Works now.
J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2724 on: 02 July, 2023, 11:17:39 pm »
Looks like you've had the board out on the inner Tay around Errol as well? That's what's blocking the South-East corner of my meagre square. Impressive effort!

No, everything there is accessed by land only.   I'm not sure about the Tay by board - bigger flow, fewer access points, a lot of mud... There is one tile I have my eye on near Errol which I should be able to access at Low tide.  If I can get that it adds two tiles to the eastern boundary of what will be my max square.

Ah, I can see that now on a bigger screen. Those reed beds make it hard to tell what's land and what isn't on the satellite view. There's a few tiles along there that look like they might just be possible by getting your feet wet but I've not been right down to the shore to investigate. Will be interested to hear if you manage it.

So went back today and faced a battle to get through 30-40m of dense chest-high (I'm 6'5") nettles and thistles to even get to the reed beds.  So, after a lot of stings in the first 10m, discretion being better part of valour, I retreated and hope that November in tights and a long sleeve jersey may be better.

Got all tiles apart from that to join up Dundee and Perth on the N Side of the Tay.  Also got what I believe is a first for the tile S of Kingoodie- there is a private house with fenced off access, but also a short walk through a gate to the headland to the SE which was just about accessible at low tide by moving rather inelegantly along a seaweed covered rock structure