Author Topic: BBC 6 Music has become Radio 2  (Read 5784 times)

Re: BBC 6 Music has become Radio 2
« Reply #25 on: 26 April, 2020, 07:18:22 am »
I half heard about gid coe being on. I remember when he used to do the show after breakfast show but then there was the dark days when 6 music I think tried to align with radio 1 to the point I would hear the same song being played at the same time on 6 music and radio 1 which was on in the workshop. I did wonder if this was a prelude to the axing of 6. This was also the time where George Lamb had his short and unsuccessful time in the radio and according to Wikipedia hasn't really worked in the media since.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 26 April, 2020, 09:51:31 am »
Gideon Coe FTW  :thumbsup:

I've been a fan since his days on GLR when he co-hosted the breakfast slot with Fi Glover. I'm glad 6music have stuck with him.

One for the tenuous claims to fame thread: my son went to the same school as Gideon Coe. As did Robert Wyatt.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #27 on: 26 April, 2020, 10:06:15 am »
Only found out recently that Tom Ravenscroft is John Peels son, never even knew that Peel was only his stage name  :o

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #28 on: 26 April, 2020, 10:32:00 am »
Only found out recently that Tom Ravenscroft is John Peels son, never even knew that Peel was only his stage name  :o

I just found that out too. Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:08:40 am »
Did many of them arrive via R1?

Most of them, I think. Off the top of my head, of the current roster of regulars, Mary Anne Hobbs, Mark Radcliffe, Marc Riley, Stuart Maconie, Steve Lamacq, Nemone, Gilles Peterson and Liz Kershaw have all had their own (or co-presented) programmes on Radio 1 before they were on 6music.
Thanks, that's more than I thought, though from that list I'm only a regular listener to Riley and Lamacq.  The only time I've listened to R1 it's been background noise in a workplace in the distant past. 
Do other stations attract as many musicians?  On R6 there's Guy Garvey, Tom Robinson, Iggy Pop, Huey Morgan, Cerys Matthews and Riley makes it onto both lists. Plus hopefully Jarvis will be back for another series sometime.   I can imagine some of them are doing it as an alternative career, but I like to think some are doing it for the love.

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 26 April, 2020, 12:00:24 pm »
I remember him saying once that he got fed up with people saying “D’ye ken John Peel?” to him. His response was “Where do you think I got the name?”

« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2020, 08:49:56 pm »
Likewise.
On listening, the intonation of the delivery gave it away.

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
Gideon Coe FTW  :thumbsup:

You may be aware of this already - he is sitting in for Lauren Laverne this week.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:13:50 am »
It would appear that this is a weekly event  >:(
*radio off*

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #34 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:21:41 am »
back in the 80s when Jimmy Saville was on Radio 2 it catered for the people who were middle aged *then* by playing Sounds of the Sixties

as the radio 2 listeners got older they continued to listen to radio 2 and the Sounds of the Sixties.

meanwhile, the people who grew up in the 80s are now middle aged and demand their own radio station.  This is 6music

so, in a sense 6music has always been just the same as radio 2, a swamp of nostalgic "in my day" tunes

Incidentally, my favourite radio 2 show is Clare Teals Big band and swing on Sunday nights

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #35 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:28:33 am »
back in the 80s when Jimmy Saville was on Radio 2 it catered for the people who were middle aged *then* by playing Sounds of the Sixties

as the radio 2 listeners got older they continued to listen to radio 2 and the Sounds of the Sixties.

meanwhile, the people who grew up in the 80s are now middle aged and demand their own radio station.  This is 6music

so, in a sense 6music has always been just the same as radio 2, a swamp of nostalgic "in my day" tunes

Incidentally, my favourite radio 2 show is Clare Teals Big band and swing on Sunday nights

Whilst that is true to an extent, 6 does play new music that you don't hear on other mainstream channels. 2 might also play new music, but that will be mainstream in itself.

The last band I went to see (at the end of Feb) was introduced to me by 6music.
Pen Pusher

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #36 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:34:50 am »
*radio off*
It's over now. Gideon is back on. You're safe to switch it on again.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #37 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:41:20 am »
 :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #38 on: 30 April, 2020, 03:28:00 pm »
*radio off*

Yep, as mentioned above weekly until lockdown is over.

Re music on there
That Dragonball Durag song by Thundercat sounds like it's sung by Herbert the pervert from Family Guy  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #39 on: 30 April, 2020, 04:29:06 pm »
That Dragonball Durag song by Thundercat sounds like it's sung by Herbert the pervert from Family Guy  ;D

Is that a good thing? I don't watch Family Guy.

I do like that song very much though.

« Reply #40 on: 30 April, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »

That chimes with my experience on the occasions I've (inadvertently) heard it.  My younger self would be self-mutilating at the idea I would someday be listening to the modern equivalent of Radio2.

As a sometime musician I really don't want to hear stuff I've heard a hundred times before unless it's something I specifically (still) like.  The chances of that happening on live radio are extremely remote.

If I need stuff to listen to when training or on long rides I try and source new music, mainly from new artists, and spend a long tome trawling the net to find it (including many unsigned acts).  It's not all brilliant but I select the things I find fresh and stimulating.  These form monthly playlists, so new sounds on a regular basis.

Nostalgia is reserved for lazy weekend mornings.

The sound of one pannier flapping

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 01 May, 2020, 12:04:11 am »
...so, in a sense 6music has always been just the same as radio 2, a swamp of nostalgic "in my day" tunes...

That's not my experience. There's a lot of contemporary stuff on 6Music.

« Reply #42 on: 01 May, 2020, 12:30:53 am »
...so, in a sense 6music has always been just the same as radio 2, a swamp of nostalgic "in my day" tunes...

That's not my experience. There's a lot of contemporary stuff on 6Music.

Yeah, depends what shows you listen to. A lot of the daytime stuff is bland and playlisty, but there are loads of good shows. Cerys onna weekend is great, the Friday night lineup of Iggy and Tom Ravenscroft is a real mix, and I always enjoy listening back to Marc Riley and Gideon Coe, they both manage a mix of older and newer music, and there's new musicians to me in the old and the new.

« Reply #43 on: 01 May, 2020, 09:32:39 am »
Indeed, my own enjoyment of R6M is that you really don't know what is coming up next, even if there is a strong likelihood that the band will be called something like "Six Purple Evangelists and the Washing Up"

Compare and contrast:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5JDPyPdDGs3yCLdtPhGgWM7/bbc-radio-6-music-playlist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2qNJsnjYFvbLrK9CZ0CfYfM/radio-2-new-music-playlist

That R2 list is supposedly "New Music"  :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 01 May, 2020, 09:45:46 am »
I find 6music has a reasonably good mix on the whole. You wouldn't want it to be exclusively new music - and I doubt that would be a sustainable model for a public service broadcaster. They also play lots of old music that is new to me (and you don't hear anywhere else), which I appreciate.

One slightly odd thing I've noticed is that they might play a track you haven't heard in years and years, but then play it again within a few days - eg Living On The Ceiling by Blancmange, which I've heard on 6music three times recently (albeit on different programmes). I was under the impression they had producers who kept playlist logs precisely to avoid that kind of thing. Maybe the system isn't being updated right now, but I'm sure this happened before lockdown as well.

« Reply #45 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:01:45 am »
One slightly odd thing I've noticed is that they might play a track you haven't heard in years and years, but then play it again within a few days

They’ve always done that - there’ll be one or two anointed wildcard songs in the rotation to make it seem more interesting. “Groove Is In The Heart” is a regular in this slot.

The problem with 6Music isn’t that it doesn’t play new music, it’s that it’s so relentlessly bland and of a type that it might as well not be. They’d never play the contemporary equivalent of those wildcard songs.

« Reply #46 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:05:42 am »
R2's daytime playlist is awful. R2 is only really good for music on an evening. I really enjoy Cerys Matthews, Jo Whiley and Marc Radcliffe, Craig Charles is good too sometimes.
Strangely Mrs Pcolbeck likes it during teh day and hates it on an evening.
We do both like the surreal two hours on Saturday early evening that is Liza Tarbuck's show, you really can't predict what she will play.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 01 May, 2020, 10:10:01 am »
Tbh, I think the only place you'll ever hear truly groundbreaking new music on mainstream radio is R3's Late Junction.

I know 6music have a bit of a thing about Anna Meredith, which I'm sure is only to boost their edgy credentials. But yeah, that's about as innovative as they get.

Fortunately for me, I am a boring middle class middle-aged white male who likes precisely the kind of stuff they do play. I'm also a big fan of the two northerners shtick.

« Reply #48 on: 01 May, 2020, 11:46:49 am »
All thi s chat reminds me of the time R1 had both Annie Nightingale and John Peel on.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #49 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:56:46 pm »
Listening to Radio 6 for the first time tonight.

Excellent eclectic mix. Mrs Pcolbeck says its horrible which is usually a good sign.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.